Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-07-2013, 11:30 PM
RE: Gun Control
(29-07-2013 07:31 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  So first as a disclaimer let me say tl;dr.

I'm bored tonight so I figure I might as well make known my opinion on what is probably the only actively controversial thread I haven't touched....

I'm a pro gun moderate. I was in the gun/bow club as a kid (in NJ which is pretty rare) and I learned how to shoot, how to respect guns, where and how to store them, use them, point them, clean them, load them. I don't own any ATM (too lazy really) but I do/have shot other peoples guns.

I am for licensing, I need one to ride a motor cycle and you need one to shoot a gun (at least here in the North East). You should have to demonstrate knowledge and respect before you are allowed to acquire a gun.

I fully support a wait period and really a class or a licensing test could double as one.

I might support clip limits depend on the type of gun/size of magazine.

I don't support assault riffle bans, people are just going to make them or buy theme illegally, massacre-ists are just as dangerous without them.

Guns really are important not because anyone can realistically have an armed rebellion against the US military (jeeze the Philly PD could quite literally level my whole block, I don't want to know what the guard can do.) but because I can conceive of so many situations in which there would be no effective law enforcement, from a solar flare, famine, plague, destabilization from global warming, foreign attack, whatever and you should be able to uphold the law as it pertains to your personal safety and survival. Formerly civilian firearm enthusiasts saved Stalingrad from Hitlers army in a months long sniper battle.

There is and will always be a black market for guns and prohibitions of anything serves to strengthen a black market and leads to organized crime and violence, which leads to escalation, which feeds the firearm black market in a deadly reverberation.

One must consider the wellfare of rural America, there are many, many Americans living in one sherif towns where response to a home invasion could take 45 minutes and nobody can hear you scream. These same people regularly encounter bears, coyotes and mountain lions.

Consider recreational shooters like myself, especially for rural populations shooting is the one of a small set of activities. Thousands of people do it safely and regularly.

Hunting is a long held human tradition, it prevents deer from killing and being killed on the highway. Venison is a sustainable 'green' food, and it's leaner than beef.

Most states don't require you to get a license with a bike or a gun if both are to be used on private property.

http://www.combatshootingandtactics.com/...d_amen.pdf
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 09:29 AM
The whole topic revolves around how right-wing and socially backwards America is. That is the beginning and end of the conversation. And/or how the political system and media takes advantage of people without even trying.

Having multiple threads, pages, etc., treating this as if it is a serious issue by itself, to me at least, doesn't make any sense.

This is exactly the same as every other problem. Same problem, same arguments, same excuses, same situations, same solutions, etc. In that regard, it's not even an unique topic.

I don't understand how people on one side have the audacity to bitch, or how the people on the other side keep seeing it as good strategy to instigate the bitching.

Am I missing the reasonable threat? I'd really hate to witness these people having a restaurant tell them they can't get it their way any more, because if they reacted similarly, every restaurant would be burned to the ground. Then you have the other side in the back telling a Punk'd crew to inform the customers that it is no longer an option to add cheese to a hamburger, just to see a reaction.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
01-08-2013, 09:35 AM
(29-07-2013 06:12 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Unfortunately, none on the gun advocate side as I've found here.

That sentence flips back and forth between two meanings, like a Necker cube. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Re: Gun Control
What I mean to say is that I have not found anyone who is pro-gun, who is also reasonable. As I have found here. (moderates as they may prefer to say)

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
for personal defence i rather trust my good old ninja egg
(a egg hollowed out (sealed with rice papper + sticky suchi-rice or in my case ducttape) and filled with kayan peper and piri piri pepper finely ground up into a fine pouder that can easily be blown into an attackers face.. can take out small mobs.... of people if the wind is in your back lol)

guns are just to mercyfull... if someone attacks me i want them to suffer for it...mo ha ha ha ha ha ha...... SUFFER! HAHAHA! SUFFER Gy ha ha ha ha!
02-08-2013, 12:13 PM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid322990

10 days shy of it being 2 months with no reply. Drinking Beverage

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
03-08-2013, 02:30 AM
So.. how about that gun control eh?

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
07-08-2013, 08:37 AM
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid322990

5 days shy of it being 2 months with no reply. Drinking Beverage

—Thomas Henry Huxley
07-08-2013, 08:53 AM
People Gun control is NOT hard and what I'm asking is not unreasonable

1.) do not give people with criminal records worse than a parking ticket guns

2.) do not let people with children own guns

3.) do not let people with cognitive disabilities own guns (I'm looking at you Virginia)

4.) do not let the mentally ill or anyone who has been treated for mental within the last 2 years own guns

5.) DO BACKGROUND CHECKS

6.) Make every gun owner get a safe, a lock and take safety classes once a year

7.) you don't need more than two guns you can have one to hunt and one for defense

8.) make gun owners see a shrink every three weeks
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2013, 08:55 AM
(07-08-2013 08:53 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  People Gun control is NOT hard and what I'm asking is not unreasonable

1.) do not give people with criminal records worse than a parking ticket guns

2.) do not let people with children own guns

3.) do not let people with cognitive disabilities own guns (I'm looking at you Virginia)

4.) do not let the mentally ill or anyone who has been treated for mental within the last 2 years own guns

5.) DO BACKGROUND CHECKS

6.) Make every gun owner get a safe, a lock and take safety classes once a year

7.) you don't need more than two guns you can have one to hunt and one for defense

8.) make gun owners see a shrink every three weeks

Some of these seem a bit excessive and over the top, but I'm in favor of the general idea.

—Thomas Henry Huxley