Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-08-2013, 09:10 AM
RE: Gun Control
(07-08-2013 08:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 08:53 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  People Gun control is NOT hard and what I'm asking is not unreasonable

1.) do not give people with criminal records worse than a parking ticket guns

2.) do not let people with children own guns

3.) do not let people with cognitive disabilities own guns (I'm looking at you Virginia)

4.) do not let the mentally ill or anyone who has been treated for mental within the last 2 years own guns

5.) DO BACKGROUND CHECKS

6.) Make every gun owner get a safe, a lock and take safety classes once a year

7.) you don't need more than two guns you can have one to hunt and one for defense

8.) make gun owners see a shrink every three weeks

Some of these seem a bit excessive and over the top, but I'm in favor of the general idea.
Which ones? As a blind person I do not like the idea of mentally unstable people anywhere me with a gun and I already have a hard time physically defending myself as it is. Let alone near children I may one day have.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2013, 09:19 AM
(07-08-2013 09:10 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 08:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Some of these seem a bit excessive and over the top, but I'm in favor of the general idea.
Which ones? As a blind person I do not like the idea of mentally unstable people anywhere me with a gun and I already have a hard time physically defending myself as it is. Let alone near children I may one day have.

1) the "anything above a parking ticket" one is a bit much. There are white collar offenses that just don't warrant the same treatment. Violent offenses should certainly be treated more seriously.

2) Not letting people with children own guns is also a bit biased. People with children in the home should perhaps have more restrictions as to the storage of their weapons.

3) Should it be clarified how severe the cognitive disability is? Legally blind means not being able to use a gun since it requires sight but is there a threshold?

4) I'm okay with that for the most part. There is some wiggle room there as to what my be considered mentally ill though. I mean, OCD could be considered mentally ill.

5) No argument here

6) No argument here

7) I'd be less inclined to put a number on the number of guns one owns, but requiring insurance for guns would mean that each gun would need insurance (like a car). Some guns would be less, some would be more. People don't own 50 cars because it would cost them too much money for them to be operational, I think it should be the same with guns.

8) Every 3 weeks is a bit too often. But I don't disagree with an evaluation of mental state.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
07-08-2013, 09:40 AM
(07-08-2013 09:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 09:10 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Which ones? As a blind person I do not like the idea of mentally unstable people anywhere me with a gun and I already have a hard time physically defending myself as it is. Let alone near children I may one day have.

1) the "anything above a parking ticket" one is a bit much. There are white collar offenses that just don't warrant the same treatment. Violent offenses should certainly be treated more seriously.

2) Not letting people with children own guns is also a bit biased. People with children in the home should perhaps have more restrictions as to the storage of their weapons.

3) Should it be clarified how severe the cognitive disability is? Legally blind means not being able to use a gun since it requires sight but is there a threshold?

4) I'm okay with that for the most part. There is some wiggle room there as to what my be considered mentally ill though. I mean, OCD could be considered mentally ill.

5) No argument here

6) No argument here

7) I'd be less inclined to put a number on the number of guns one owns, but requiring insurance for guns would mean that each gun would need insurance (like a car). Some guns would be less, some would be more. People don't own 50 cars because it would cost them too much money for them to be operational, I think it should be the same with guns.

8) Every 3 weeks is a bit too often. But I don't disagree with an evaluation of mental state.

This.

Lol, see a shrink every 3 weeks and take a class every year!? Who is going to cover that my cheap ass insurance? It should be a lifetime certification or maybe something like 10 years. Can't have a gun and kids?! How are you gonna teach your children to respect the firearm? Hell I've been contemplating getting a gun BECAUSE I have a kid. You can't restrict the number of guns a person owns either...For one the NRA would go bat shit because most sales are to people who already own guns, collectors would be furious (why shouldn't I be able to own a shot gun, a hunting riffle, a .22, and a vintage pistol? You're ideas about hunting are misinformed, you don't shoot a duck with a riffle, you don't shoot dear with a shotgun...The seasons are structured around certain weapons, bows this month, riffles next month...and a person only has 2 trigger fingers so it doesn't really matter anyway.

07-08-2013, 09:48 AM
(07-08-2013 09:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 09:10 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Which ones? As a blind person I do not like the idea of mentally unstable people anywhere me with a gun and I already have a hard time physically defending myself as it is. Let alone near children I may one day have.

5) No argument here

6) No argument here

I think you're confusing cognitive with developmental and/or physical disability these are all three different things. Cognitive disability is any disability that hinders mental growth like down syndrome. Developmental disability hinders your early childhood growth, and may result in physical and/or cognitive issues, but not always. And physical disability is usually the obvious.

I still don't think guns should be near children.

Unless its antique then there is still no need for anyone to have more than two guns.

Perhaps every three weeks for evaluation is a bit much but maybe every other month or something.

And white collar people are more likely to hire someone with an illegal than do it themselves, so if we crack down on dumb criminals with guns that's something outta the way.
07-08-2013, 01:03 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/business_insi...rking.html

Article on the reduction of gun violence in the state of California as correlated with stricter gun laws. In comparison, states with less stringent gun laws have higher rates of gun violence.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Re: Gun Control
2 days til 2 months of no reply.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-08-2013, 08:55 PM
(07-08-2013 09:40 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(07-08-2013 09:19 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  1) the "anything above a parking ticket" one is a bit much. There are white collar offenses that just don't warrant the same treatment. Violent offenses should certainly be treated more seriously.

5) No argument here

6) No argument here

This.

Lol, see a shrink every 3 weeks and take a class every year!? Who is going to cover that my cheap ass insurance? It should be a lifetime certification or maybe something like 10 years. Can't have a gun and kids?! How are you gonna teach your children to respect the firearm? Hell I've been contemplating getting a gun BECAUSE I have a kid. You can't restrict the number of guns a person owns either...For one the NRA would go bat shit because most sales are to people who already own guns, collectors would be furious (why shouldn't I be able to own a shot gun, a hunting riffle, a .22, and a vintage pistol? You're ideas about hunting are misinformed, you don't shoot a duck with a riffle, you don't shoot dear with a shotgun...The seasons are structured around certain weapons, bows this month, riffles next month...and a person only has 2 trigger fingers so it doesn't really matter anyway.

Maybe it's just me but can't the people who hunt stick to just ONE type of poor defenseless animal and I'm not including a collector's vintage/ antique weapons because I assume they are not meant to be used. And as I say you're crazy if want to have weaponry around a child of any age. I don't even allow children near my kitchen or bathroom unsupervised. I think anyone who thinks they can manage a child and a weapon is a madman! There are simply more effiecient and less dangerous ways to defend oneself. Oh and I forgot, fuck what the NRA thinks.
10-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Oh, boy. People that grow up around guns generally speaking have more knowledge about them and have a healthy respect for them. If you think someone is a bad parent for having guns perhaps you are just thinking from your inability to supervise them near firearms properly. A responsible owner's children can be more safe than one that doesn't allow firearms in the house. If you don't want firearms in you house that is fine and dandy, but don't be so quick to pass judgement.

10-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Oh I almost forgot because of things like Newtown maybe parents with children who have documented mental instability should not have guns.
10-08-2013, 09:29 PM
(10-08-2013 09:23 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Oh I almost forgot because of things like Newtown maybe parents with children who have documented mental instability should not have guns.

Yeah, but the problem is, you define mental instability, literally you said "insane", as someone who owns guns and is a parent. It's kind of hard to back track and change the topic after a statement like that.