Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 10:51 PM
RE: Gun Control
If want to teach a kid self defense put them in Tai Chi or Karate they don't need guns.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2013, 10:54 PM
No. Child, plus gun locked away does not = bang. What the fuck do you mean they figure out locks?

Let's suppose you have a child who is a master locksmith, even then they have to get the gun, load it with ammunition, take of the safeties on the guns, point it at themselves or others and then pull the trigger, or is that too much logic for you?

Absolutely ridiculous.

Find all posts by this user
10-08-2013, 11:18 PM
(10-08-2013 10:48 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  Is this too much logic for you? (House x sleeping/busy adult) + ( gun *locked x curious kid) = BANG

Kids figure out locks, they stand on chairs, they pay attention to where people hide things! Have you never been around children?

That assumes any child who finds a gun will attempt to play with and misuse it. I grew up with guns and had limited access to them when I was a child and never had any of those intentions.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
10-08-2013, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-08-2013 11:37 PM by BrokenQuill92.)
I grew up in a house where as a child I learned to turn my oxygen machine on and off at the age of three to sneak out and play. I also learned how to unlock the security gate with a stick at five. The pass code was my birthday. True my mother changed the code when she saw but I was a smart cookie. By seven I could walk to the library unaided. How many more stories will there have to be of parents who "thought" they emptied the barrel, who were "sure" they locked the gun away, were "positive" the safety was on before they put the gun down? I believe we have reached an impasse, we must agree to disagree on this.
10-08-2013, 11:57 PM
It does seem as if one does not have to search all that far back in the news to find yet another incident.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/crime/2013/08...p_who.html

Quote:On Sunday afternoon, a 6-year-old Danville, Va., boy was sitting at home when he somehow got hold of a loaded handgun that had been left unattended by its adult owner. He fired the gun, and the bullet went through a wall and hit a 22-month-old girl. The child was taken to a local hospital. She’s currently in stable condition.
11-08-2013, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 12:29 AM by ridethespiral.)
(10-08-2013 11:31 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I grew up in a house where as a child I learned to turn my oxygen machine on and off at the age of three to sneak out and play. I also learned how to unlock the security gate with a stick at five. The pass code was my birthday. True my mother changed the code when she saw but I was a smart cookie. By seven I could walk to the library unaided. How many more stories will there have to be of parents who "thought" they emptied the barrel, who were "sure" they locked the gun away, were "positive" the safety was on before they put the gun down? I believe we have reached an impasse, we must agree to disagree on this.

You fail to understand the respect with which firearms are treated by the vast majority of rural families. Parents practice proper gun safety. The kids know how to shoot them, load them, where not to point them, how to check a safety, etc. I bet there are 8 year olds out there sighting their .22s.

You walk out to a range and load your shotgun before you get to the stand and you'll hear about 5 rednecks go "Is that loaded, what in 'da **** is wrong with you!?"

If you are stupid enough to leave a loaded weapon unattended around children you deserve to be charged with gross negligence, but it has nothing to do with my right to own a gun. It's no different than if I turned on a circular saw while my kid was playing nearby...should we ban circular saws?

11-08-2013, 12:49 AM
(11-08-2013 12:25 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 11:31 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  I grew up in a house where as a child I learned to turn my oxygen machine on and off at the age of three to sneak out and play. I also learned how to unlock the security gate with a stick at five. The pass code was my birthday. True my mother changed the code when she saw but I was a smart cookie. By seven I could walk to the library unaided. How many more stories will there have to be of parents who "thought" they emptied the barrel, who were "sure" they locked the gun away, were "positive" the safety was on before they put the gun down? I believe we have reached an impasse, we must agree to disagree on this.

You fail to understand the respect with which firearms are treated by the vast majority of rural families. Parents practice proper gun safety. The kids know how to shoot them, load them, where not to point them, how to check a safety, etc. I bet there are 8 year olds out there sighting their .22s.

You walk out to a range and load your shotgun before you get to the stand and you'll hear about 5 rednecks go "Is that loaded, what in 'da **** is wrong with you!?"

If you are stupid enough to leave a loaded weapon unattended around children you deserve to be charged with gross negligence, but it has nothing to do with my right to own a gun. It's no different than if I turned on a circular saw while my kid was playing nearby...should we ban circular saws?
No we shouldn't ban anything like I said I'm agreeing to disagree. But irresponsible people don't need dangerous things. Neither do children. And children don't qualify as responsible.
11-08-2013, 12:59 AM
Yes, BQ, but you are using circular reasoning, aka begging the question.

People that are irresponsible shouldn't have guns - parents who own guns are irresponsible - irresponsible people shouldn't own guns - parents who own guns are irresponsible, ad infintum.

11-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Ah, yes. Because children can get into a gun safe with a dial/pin.

I don't fucking think so.

Believe it or not, locks come in different shapes and sizes, and sometimes, they can be a bitch to unlock, even if you are a fully functional adult.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
12-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Re: Gun Control
Now it's been 2 months with no reply.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley