Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-06-2013, 06:57 PM
RE: Gun Control
Phaedrus, thank you for your answers. I did a little research on converting the AR-15 to full auto and yes it appears to be much more complex than I thought.

My comment on bullet tumble was mostly related to how it would function as a hunting weapon. You have confirmed that for several reasons it is does not seem to be a good hunting weapon. The damage to flesh being an important one.

I mean no disrespect to you in this and in my previous posts on this subject. I do very much believe that there are reasons to discuss the availability of guns in the US and what might be done to curb gun violence.

I have a close friend who is very much a gun advocate. I would trust him implicitly to behave correctly. He is generally the range master when we have our target practice as mentioned above. That does not mean that I agree with his every position on the issue of guns.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2013, 07:01 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2013 07:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
I live in Maryland which has some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. One of my friends has an arsenal close to the largest I've seen on this forum. Including some that he is no longer allowed to sell or transfer but already owned and were grandfather-claused in. I don't think that this is fundamentally a debate on the Gumbymint limiting an individual's firepower, they already do that. (I mean, what the fuck you gonna use a howitzer for anyway?) I think this is fundamentally a debate on the Gumbymint being able to assess an individual's firepower. The State of Maryland is well aware of the firepower status of my friend. Their knowledge does not preclude the construction of his own armory.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
11-06-2013, 07:06 PM
My dad wants to buy a small Civil War cannon to set off on the 4th of July and New Years (just blanks, of course). Fortunately, you can own those. Wink And cheaper than most machine guns!

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
11-06-2013, 07:07 PM
(11-06-2013 06:50 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  If I might be able to ask a question (keep in mind I am about as far away from a gun-culture or a real need of guns as one can get, so please excuse my ignorance here)...

But why exactly would a person need an assault rifle (for example, the AR-15 so commonly mentioned)? Or a weapon even similar to that. I think I can understand small things like pistols, but the need of an assault rifle confuses me.. surely that would be overkill for self defence.. unless of course you should make it a habit to take the fight to the bears and I have doubt that it might be effective in a fight against a bear if you really are defending yourself from it...

The AR-15 is an effective small game rifle. It is also used in rifle marksmanship competitions.

I have a rifle that is not an AR-15, but it fires the same ammunition at the same rate with the same accuracy. It is not an "assault rifle".
What, then, is the difference? It doesn't have a pistol grip and it's not black.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-06-2013, 07:13 PM
Phaedrus, by the way what do you think of the .243 as a hunting rifle, I have been considering buying one. I am old and have always had a tendency to flinch anticipating the recoil when firing any of the rifles I have ever fired except the .22. I thought maybe a .243 with a recoil suppressor might be the answer.

This is a probably a strictly curiosity question but it is legitimate.

And, you are correct the limited recoil of the AR-15 made it easy to shoot, even on full auto which I only was allowed to do a couple of times.
11-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Well there isn't really such a thing as a recoil suppressor. You can however use a muzzle brake/flash suppressor (usually one device does both functions) to reduce muzzle rise, and a rubber buttpad to mitigate recoil a little bit.

.243 is a reasonable cartridge for animals up to deer size or slightly bigger. You have to be careful with ammo selection though; don't use rounds with bullet weight under 90gr on deer, and bullets lighter than 90gr are probably overkill for coyotes and such.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
11-06-2013, 07:16 PM
(11-06-2013 06:57 PM)JAH Wrote:  Phaedrus, thank you for your answers. I did a little research on converting the AR-15 to full auto and yes it appears to be much more complex than I thought.

My comment on bullet tumble was mostly related to how it would function as a hunting weapon. You have confirmed that for several reasons it is does not seem to be a good hunting weapon. The damage to flesh being an important one.

I mean no disrespect to you in this and in my previous posts on this subject. I do very much believe that there are reasons to discuss the availability of guns in the US and what might be done to curb gun violence.

I have a close friend who is very much a gun advocate. I would trust him implicitly to behave correctly. He is generally the range master when we have our target practice as mentioned above. That does not mean that I agree with his every position on the issue of guns.

The old 'tumbling bullet'. The 5.56mm (or .223 Remington) is an excellent small game or varmint caliber when loaded with soft point or hollow point hunting ammunition.
Those will expand on impact, not remain intact and bounce around like military rounds which are full metal jacket.

11-06-2013, 07:21 PM
(11-06-2013 07:13 PM)JAH Wrote:  Phaedrus, by the way what do you think of the .243 as a hunting rifle, I have been considering buying one. I am old and have always had a tendency to flinch anticipating the recoil when firing any of the rifles I have ever fired except the .22. I thought maybe a .243 with a recoil suppressor might be the answer.

This is a probably a strictly curiosity question but it is legitimate.

And, you are correct the limited recoil of the AR-15 made it easy to shoot, even on full auto which I only was allowed to do a couple of times.

The AR-15 has a big brother - the AR-10. It comes in various calibers, including .243 Winchester.
[Image: 10A4BF243LARGE700.jpg]

It is essentially the same design. The reason the felt recoil is light is because of the linear design and the gas system.

11-06-2013, 07:26 PM
The "real" AR-10 is almost impossible to find. They only made like 10,000 of them. Most guns called "AR-10" today are just scaled-up AR-15s. I have more respect for manufacturers who give their 7.62mm ARs original names rather than riding on the notability of the AR-10. For instance, the KAC SR-25.

In either case, they are of course very expensive.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
11-06-2013, 07:45 PM
(11-06-2013 07:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The "real" AR-10 is almost impossible to find. They only made like 10,000 of them. Most guns called "AR-10" today are just scaled-up AR-15s. I have more respect for manufacturers who give their 7.62mm ARs original names rather than riding on the notability of the AR-10. For instance, the KAC SR-25.

In either case, they are of course very expensive.

The one pictured is an Armalite AR-10. They invented it.

I have a DPMS LR-308, same design, not an AR-15.