Gun Control

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 08:44 AM
RE: Gun Control
And another point to add back to alcohol consumption and alcoholism in particular. If a parent is an alcoholic and not fit at raising their child, caring for them, or providing for them, social services can and will remove the kids from the hostile environment.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 10:52 AM
(13-06-2013 08:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Another bit I meant to add to the bit about alcohol too, we have a defined age limit that is based off of brain development for the right to consume alcohol. Consumption below that age means that the consumer and the supplier are held legally responsible.

Guns? Hell, the gun industry makes guns specifically designed for kids.
[Image: Guns-for-kids-e1367597345473.jpg]

I don't like the alcohol argument. The US puts it 21 for all alcohol, yet other countries are perfectly fine with waaaaay younger kids having a glass of wine or even beer in public places.

In canada for example, you can drink at 19.

It's the old argument, you can vote, drive, go off to war, smoke, but you can't drink.

There's this odd need to prolong childhood -- I just don't see the connection between brain development. I've got some friends that in Germany and their kids could drink beer at 16. It actually worked in their favor, teaching them more social responsibility.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

13-06-2013, 10:56 AM
(13-06-2013 10:52 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 08:39 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Another bit I meant to add to the bit about alcohol too, we have a defined age limit that is based off of brain development for the right to consume alcohol. Consumption below that age means that the consumer and the supplier are held legally responsible.

Guns? Hell, the gun industry makes guns specifically designed for kids.
[Image: Guns-for-kids-e1367597345473.jpg]

I don't like the alcohol argument. The US puts it 21 for all alcohol, yet other countries are perfectly fine with waaaaay younger kids having a glass of wine or even beer in public places.

In canada for example, you can drink at 19.

It's the old argument, you can vote, drive, go off to war, smoke, but you can't drink.

There's this odd need to prolong childhood -- I just don't see the connection between brain development. I've got some friends that in Germany and their kids could drink beer at 16. It actually worked in their favor, teaching them more social responsibility.

I said it was based off of brain development, not that it was necessarily put at the correct place Drinking Beverage

But indeed, studies show our brains are still developing right up until around that age. It varies of course, but so does maturity in general, which seems a better prerequisite for voting than age too.
[Image: 798px-Human_Brain_Development_Timeline_Image.jpg]

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
15-06-2013, 11:58 AM
This was directed to Blacknight in another forum but this seems to have more players on both sides ... I respect your right to own a gun and I'm sure you are good person who follows all laws and safety....but in light of facts and atheist love facts you as a country have a problem. Why can't law abiding gun owners bend at all ? Is it so wrong to make it difficult to get guns You will get them but it shouldn't be so easy.
I am not saying I have the answers I'm not that smart, but in Canada http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politic...f_firearms . take ten minutes read it Some more facts for you Toronto 2.6 million people in 2012 33 deaths by shooting, 8 by stabbing, 13 other for a grand total of 54 homicides http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php No guns not much violence and only four hours from Detroit 706, 000 people 386 at 41% of those involving guns......So for all you gun nuts here is a country were you can have guns you can do your hunting and target shooting , but the laws are tough and work so please explain why you can't bend

Don't pray in our schools and we won't think in your church
[+] 1 user Likes Bob Loblaw's post
15-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, I was trying to find statistics on gun use in the USA. What I come across are either anti-gun statistics, listing only the number of firearm-related homicides, suicides, and accidents, or pro-NRA statistics, listing the number of times guns were used legitimately in self-defense. Problem with the anti's stats is that they only look at the bad side, and the problem with the pro-NRAers is that they show the big number of 'legitimate' uses (which includes instances when no shots are actually fired) alongside only homicides and suicides. They don't reference the number of times guns were used as part of a crime but where no one was shot.

It's just out of interest, but I haven't found anything on the number of times firearms were used as part of a crime where they did not cause injury or death. It would just be interesting to have some insight.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
15-06-2013, 05:38 PM
(15-06-2013 05:36 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, I was trying to find statistics on gun use in the USA. What I come across are either anti-gun statistics, listing only the number of firearm-related homicides, suicides, and accidents, or pro-NRA statistics, listing the number of times guns were used legitimately in self-defense. Problem with the anti's stats is that they only look at the bad side, and the problem with the pro-NRAers is that they show the big number of 'legitimate' uses (which includes instances when no shots are actually fired) alongside only homicides and suicides. They don't reference the number of times guns were used as part of a crime but where no one was shot.

It's just out of interest, but I haven't found anything on the number of times firearms were used as part of a crime where they did not cause injury or death. It would just be interesting to have some insight.

Search for "Armed Robbery".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I may have found some decent sources. If counting for uses of firearms in rapes, assaults, and robberies, the number is just under 400,000 times in 2011. The 'legitimate' use thing seems to be the more difficult number. The number commonly thrown around lately is over 2 million, but that number includes merely instances of letting someone know you have a gun, without knowing whether or not anything was going to happen... not just drawing a weapon, or firing it. More reasonable numbers seem to range from 250,000 to 400,000.

Right now, it seems that the number of legitimate uses is either equal or less than the number of criminal uses. Of course, I'd have to account for crimes between criminals that go unreported, like a Crip flashing his piece at a Blood. Tongue It's impossible to get perfect answers.

I just like to know the truth about stats. I kept seeing the "guns are used 400 times more often for self-defense" claim thrown around, so I wanted to see what that was from. Apparently it is a gross exaggeration. Even if we accepted the vague 2 million legit uses statistic, it would be 5 times, not 400.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
16-06-2013, 07:38 AM
I would like to note that Our Founder, Seth, has a concealed carry permit and carries a gun.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-06-2013, 07:57 AM
Re: Gun Control
He also lives in Oklahoma under constant threat of tornadoes. Drinking Beverage That doesn't mean I have to value that choice either.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
16-06-2013, 08:07 AM
(16-06-2013 07:38 AM)Chas Wrote:  I would like to note that Our Founder, Seth, has a concealed carry permit and carries a gun.
Really? wow my view has now changed and I will now start rallying the troops to change our concealed gun laws here in CanadaNo not the Facts or stats I was looking for but thanks for that valuable bit of information

Don't pray in our schools and we won't think in your church