Gun Sales Expected to Rise

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-06-2016, 04:01 PM
RE: Gun Sales Expected to Rise
(15-06-2016 03:34 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I think at this point, there should just be a Gun section on this forum.

Well, shoot, I agree with ya.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
15-06-2016, 04:07 PM
(15-06-2016 04:01 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 03:34 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  I think at this point, there should just be a Gun section on this forum.

Well, shoot, I agree with ya.

[Image: CommentPhotos.com_1407346387.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
15-06-2016, 05:36 PM

A subforum for violence?

Well, we have one for just about every other human instinct and custom. Why not?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
15-06-2016, 05:40 PM
(15-06-2016 05:36 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

A subforum for violence?

Well, we have one for just about every other human instinct and custom. Why not?

A subforum for what is essentially half the politics section. Every other day there's a new thread about guns.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
15-06-2016, 05:50 PM
(15-06-2016 05:36 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  

A subforum for violence?

I object. I've been using and enjoying guns for 50+ years and I have never been violent. Never. I am a damn good shot and I love target practice, skeet, clays and turkeys shoots (no you don't shoot turkeys).

Guns do not equal violence.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 4 users Like Heatheness's post
15-06-2016, 07:10 PM
(15-06-2016 05:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 05:36 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  A subforum for violence?

I object. I've been using and enjoying guns for 50+ years and I have never been violent. Never. I am a damn good shot and I love target practice, skeet, clays and turkeys shoots (no you don't shoot turkeys).

I was non-violent until I started shooting people for a living. Everybody had guns and there was lots of violence.
15-06-2016, 08:50 PM
(15-06-2016 07:10 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 05:50 PM)Heatheness Wrote:  I object. I've been using and enjoying guns for 50+ years and I have never been violent. Never. I am a damn good shot and I love target practice, skeet, clays and turkeys shoots (no you don't shoot turkeys).

I was non-violent until I started shooting people for a living. Everybody had guns and there was lots of violence.

Most people in the US have a healthy interest in killing paper and clay; and the marksmanship that goes with it. You went into mortal combat (thank you, BTW, for your service), so you have a different perspective. I am a CFI for Rifle and Shotgun and used to teach kids (Cub and Boy Scouts) how to shoot safely.
15-06-2016, 09:06 PM
(15-06-2016 08:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I am a CFI for Rifle and Shotgun and used to teach kids (Cub and Boy Scouts) how to shoot safely.
Gunny "Myagi" would have approved. (I gave him that nickname when the movie came out. He was dead by then, but I know he would have laughed.) I worked for him for four months before I got the chance to fire a long gun. His training kept me alive later on.
15-06-2016, 09:08 PM
(15-06-2016 02:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-06-2016 08:28 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  So, I presume the idea behind buying guns now is to protect themselves from any future shooters, correct?

Is there data anywhere on how often someone starts shooting some place up and is stopped by a random civilian with a gun?

Can we compare that with the numbers on how often said shooters are able to continue shooting?

I've been curious about this for a while.

I've heard many many people on this forum make the claim it happens every day. Some small, random crime is prevented by some schmuck with a gun.

It's only in the big places, like movie theaters, shopping malls, dance clubs, schools, where there isn't anyone.

Here when there was a shooter at our shopping mall years ago, someone with a conceal carry gun was there. They debated trying to shoot the shooter but were fearful that they'd hit someone innocent -- instead they hid. (Myself, I was waking into that mall to pick up a bday gift, I heard people screaming and shots -- yeah I walked out and straight to my car and drove home shaking (the police were driving down the road passed me as I made my way).

But that more guns crowd doesn't like hearing about that. They like to focus on the liquor store robbery or something else.

While no robbery is completely insignificant, I don't consider it as significant as when someone is randomly firing into a crowd of people.

To be fair, the overwhelming majority of gun murders don't happen in mass killings. Expecting defensive gun uses to show up in incidents which comprise a miniscule proportion of the total isn't statistically valid.

The overwhelming majority of gun deaths, and defensive gun uses, happen in smaller crimes. If you want to ignore those statistics, great, but it's a bias and should be pointed out.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2016, 09:12 PM
(15-06-2016 03:15 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I'm just guessing -- but I think the guy was probably smart enough to know that he wasn't proficient enough with a small revolver or automatic- to be sure enough not to miss a target and inflict unintentional injury or death on an innocent....

He was a security guard who had to qualify annually on his weapon, no? Assuming his service weapon was a pistol, I'd think he'd be more proficient with that.

I don't see many security cops carrying any sort of long-arm myself, outside of military bases.

I'd be willing to bet he could use a pistol with a modicum of skill, under those circumstances.