Gun Seizures in Flint Michigan

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 09:13 AM
Gun Seizures in Flint Michigan
Locally we keep hearing about how the cops in Flint are "confiscating stolen weapons".....

Why is this news????

Isn't that what they're SUPPOSED to do? Does this mean that before, they were letting people keep stolen guns???

Or- does this mean that the cops are now confiscating shit, and if you can't prove it's yours, it's considered stolen??

Or even weirder -- are the cops just trying to raise revenue? Because they're now auctioning off seized guns, instead of destroying them - like they always used to do. (a good move, long overdue).

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ss...fle_a.html

I guess I have to go to an auction... Problem is - stuff always goes for too much money..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
13-08-2015, 09:25 AM
RE: Gun Seizures in Flint Michigan
You'd think if they knew it was stolen they'd know who to give it back to, otherwise how do they know it's stolen? So yeah, I'd have to agree it's probably more along the lines of "can't prove it's theirs," or maybe just illegal possessed. Not overly familiar with Michigan's gun laws, what kind of licensing you need, whether or not guns are registered, etc. I keep my guns in Vermont, where they don't even issue licenses, so unless it were reported stolen by someone I can't imagine this flying.

I don't know the whole story though, I guess, and by default don't trust most media when it comes to the accurate reporting of anything gun related.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
13-08-2015, 09:43 AM
I know about ten years ago the ATF and FBI would occasionally show up at US Steel Gary Works with pallets full of confiscated weapons and sometimes drugs.
They would take them up to the B.O.F. drop them in a huge ladle, and pour several tons of molten iron on top. Very efficient method of destruction.
(Side note) There's a rumor in the region that this is also what happened to the body of missing candy heiress Helen Brach.
Though this may have happened at Inland Steel.
13-08-2015, 11:01 AM
(13-08-2015 09:25 AM)yakherder Wrote:  You'd think if they knew it was stolen they'd know who to give it back to, otherwise how do they know it's stolen? So yeah, I'd have to agree it's probably more along the lines of "can't prove it's theirs," or maybe just illegal possessed. Not overly familiar with Michigan's gun laws, what kind of licensing you need, whether or not guns are registered, etc. I keep my guns in Vermont, where they don't even issue licenses, so unless it were reported stolen by someone I can't imagine this flying.

I don't know the whole story though, I guess, and by default don't trust most media when it comes to the accurate reporting of anything gun related.

Only handguns are registered in Michigan.

My guess is they're just trotting this out, in light of the fact that they've had more murders in Flint in the last few weeks than all of last year.

It's the "We gotta DO something!!" syndrome.

Politicians play this shit all the time - even when the "doing something" effectively does nothing - or even if it makes things worse.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-08-2015, 11:07 AM
(13-08-2015 11:01 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 09:25 AM)yakherder Wrote:  You'd think if they knew it was stolen they'd know who to give it back to, otherwise how do they know it's stolen? So yeah, I'd have to agree it's probably more along the lines of "can't prove it's theirs," or maybe just illegal possessed. Not overly familiar with Michigan's gun laws, what kind of licensing you need, whether or not guns are registered, etc. I keep my guns in Vermont, where they don't even issue licenses, so unless it were reported stolen by someone I can't imagine this flying.

Only handguns are registered in Michigan.

My guess is they're just trotting this out, in light of the fact that they've had more murders in Flint in the last few weeks than all of last year.

It's the "We gotta DO something!!" syndrome.

Politicians play this shit all the time - even when the "doing something" effectively does nothing - or even if it makes things worse.

Yeah, mostly just to please the public drones. The gun buyback programs where they put a flat rate on any gun you turn in, regardless of it's condition, always crack me up, and they do those from time to time in Canada. The politician claiming credit for the successful program brags that "20,000 guns have been removed from the streets," the public feels safer, and the greatest benefactors are the collectors and gunsmiths who save up cheap, broke ass guns they put together from replaced components, just waiting for the next buy back program so they can turn some profit from otherwise worthless paperweights.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
13-08-2015, 11:09 AM
I've always wanted to set up a booth next door to those gun buy backs, and offer ten bucks more....

Of course, I'd reject the garbage....

Big Grin