Gun death becoming like diarrhea SERIOUS....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2016, 09:40 AM
RE: Gun death becoming like diarrhea SERIOUS....
(15-07-2016 08:55 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 07:26 AM)BnW Wrote:  Huh. Ok, they did argue that. Go figure. I was familiar with the 40 year effort to discredit the science on health issues, but had never seen this argument before.

[Image: Emily-Litella-Never-mind.jpg]

It was their final "Holy fuck" argument when the shit was hitting the fan in the early 90's. Internal documents about how they knew smoking causes emphysema and possibly cancer as early as the 50's had been leaked. They had no defense against anything so they hired Morton Downey Jr. who became the public face of what was supposedly a consumer's rights group but was funded by the industry itself.

The comparison between that and the NRA are mostly speculative except in court cases the NRA always sides with gun manufacturers against NRA members in legal proceedings.

I don't fault your skepticism here given the original source. Brian and his hysterical ravings make me want to rethink my position on guns, cause do I really want to be even nominally on the same side as that lunatic.

Hobo

Maybe Brain is an NRA plant sent here to make people who don't like the NRA look crazy.

/tinfoil hat

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
15-07-2016, 09:40 AM
I really could give one fuck less what you think. Only a selfish fuck thinks the amount of gun death in our country is acceptable.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-07-2016, 09:42 AM
(15-07-2016 09:39 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 08:01 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I'm not as good as you are at poetry but here goes.

Brian has something to say

It's always about the NRA

As a child, his dad got drunk

He popped two caps into some junk

Now Brian pees his pants everyday.

Yep make light of a real problem, show everyone how tone def and selfish you are.

They must have a different meaning of "rational" on your planet...

On this rock - it's the opposite of yelling, screaming, swearing, ranting and raving.....

Oh - we have one other thing your planet doesn't -- humor....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-07-2016, 09:43 AM
(15-07-2016 09:40 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I really could give one fuck less what you think. Only a selfish fuck thinks the amount of gun death in our country is acceptable.

For someone who could give even one fuck, you sure make a lot of angry posts on the topic. My impression is you give many fucks, to the point where all reason and rationality go by the way side.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 7 users Like BnW's post
15-07-2016, 09:55 AM
(15-07-2016 09:40 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  I really could give one fuck less what you think. Only a selfish fuck thinks the amount of gun death in our country is acceptable.

Who are you even talking to Brian? I know it's not me because I have never said that I do think it's acceptable. So who are you talking to?

I'll ask again: What is the exact number of firearm related deaths YOU personally find acceptable in a modern society like the United States of America? The exact number.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
15-07-2016, 10:00 AM
(15-07-2016 07:25 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(14-07-2016 10:25 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  Sorry I'll be honest while I tried to read the entirety of all those reports (kill me now) I'll admit to not reading every page. Can you provide me any examples listed in the report if this, or are you just assuming this happened because it was an anonymous survey?

Unfortunately not without digging back through them. That piece of data was something I picked up a few years back during a similar discussion. Probably at AF.com/org. At this point I can't remember if it is even something I picked up straight from the report itself or from reading someone's critique of one. If it was the later it wouldn't have been something someone else on the forum said, but a review/rebuttal of the report by an outside source.
OK well for the one report at least, the one I've talked about the most, the sampling was done anonymously so there is effectively no way to know if someone fitting that example was questioned. Even if we take the possibility into account it's not going to be statistically relevant.

15-07-2016, 10:48 AM

When it comes to gun issues we should put our trust in the hands of experts...the NRA.

As much as I can tell NRA have always been a voice of reason in this matter.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
15-07-2016, 10:56 AM
(15-07-2016 09:39 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(15-07-2016 08:01 AM)KUSA Wrote:  I'm not as good as you are at poetry but here goes.

Brian has something to say

It's always about the NRA

As a child, his dad got drunk

He popped two caps into some junk

Now Brian pees his pants everyday.

Yep make light of a real problem, show everyone how tone def and selfish you are.

The problem being discussed lightly is you...dumbass.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  It's also self evident that in a society with easy access to guns and laws that favor the usage of guns for self defense that criminals will use guns more often than not to commit crime simply because they might fear or suspect that their victims are also armed.
I disagree. Criminals, when interviewed, have consistently stated that they try to avoid homes where a gun is present, where they suspect one is, or even where they have simply heard from other people that one is there, even if armed themselves. Criminals don't carry guns to deal with the people that have guns, but to deal with the ones that don't.

(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  In Canada, 20 person were killed by police officers in 2014 (a record high) while, the same year, American police officers killed 1140. Even if you account for population and multiply Canada's number by 10, that's still five times more deaths in America.
There are a lot of reasons for the disparity, not just population sizes (Canada doesn't have the same problem with gangs and inner city poverty, the police are not nearly as militarized in Canada and the "us vs them" attitude of cops is not as bad. These are just to name a few). Yes however the gun laws in the US also play a role in the disparity.

However cop's killing people has no relevance on if guns are viable defense and more/less likely to cause an accidental shootings, because again though the point I was making was that Brian was making claims that are demonstrably false. Which I did, you are NOT more likely to be accidentally shot even if you take the LOWEST numbers for self defense.

(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Training and weapons of police forces are pretty much identical between the two country.
The weapons perhaps but the training has entirely different focus, it's far more like the British model than the American one.

(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  In no way is the popularity of a method of defense is a good assessment of its quality.
It's a good thing I have not made that argument then...

(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  Considering the very small amount of evidence showing that having a gun will protect you more efficently than any other method of self defense including doing absolutly nothing,
If by "small amount" you mean the overwhelming majority of government conducted analysis....
Again it's about the metric, you don't plan your self defense around the least threatening attack your likely to face but the most.

(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  the problem caused by criminals becoming more heavily armed
They are not. The vast majority of gun crime is done with handguns, the same way it has been for decades only we have much much less of it now than we did 20 years ago.

This is the problem I have with Brians fucktarded thread title, gun crime is not increasing it's decreasing. It's becoming LESS serious.

(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  police militarisation and accident caused by firearm
Which are all much much much much much less than legal self defense with fire arms. Which was the point I was making.

(15-07-2016 09:19 AM)epronovost Wrote:  I found very difficult to defend a system of gun control as lax and tolerent as the one currently in effect in America.
I too have issues with American gun control policy, that's something I have said consistently. I just don't accept the first idea Brian shits out of his mouth. I want laws that work to address the problem, not put in place to make gun control advocates feel good.

[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
(15-07-2016 10:48 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  

When it comes to gun issues we should put our trust in the hands of experts...the NRA.

As much as I can tell NRA have always been a voice of reason in this matter.

To quote Fox News, “Fair and Balanced”. Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce