GunTTA: Will hollow points go through walls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 11:02 AM
GunTTA: Will hollow points go through walls?
I was thinking about this... I don't think they would. Wouldn't the bullet shred once it hits the sheetrock?

I mean, they may penetrate, but they can't be nearly as dangerous (in that tense) as a regular bullet. Right?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
10-12-2012, 11:12 AM
RE: GunTTA: Will hollow points go through walls?
There's probably no simple answer to this one -- it would depend on the weapon, thickness of the wall, wall's material, and the like. For most standard construction materials and home defense handguns, though, I would think the answer is "no", at least for load-bearing walls. For non-load bearing walls, or for shotguns, I'd be less certain, but inasmuch as I live alone, it's not really a concern for me.
10-12-2012, 11:17 AM
(10-12-2012 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I was thinking about this... I don't think they would. Wouldn't the bullet shred once it hits the sheetrock?

I mean, they may penetrate, but they can't be nearly as dangerous (in that tense) as a regular bullet. Right?
There are a lot of variables. Caliber, type of hollow-point ammo, wall construction details.

My educated guess is that a .357 magnum hollow-point round will go through an interior wall constructed of 2x4's and 3/8" sheetrock, unless it hits a stud. It will have lost some energy, but would still be lethal.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-12-2012, 11:21 AM
What about a 9mm hollow point?

10-12-2012, 11:26 AM
(10-12-2012 11:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  What about a 9mm hollow point?
Probably - the ballistics are similar. What you want is frangible ammunition. Or good aim.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 11:27 AM
There are quite a few threads and videos of folks who have tested this kind of thing. Here's just one:
http://230grain.com/showthread.php?65428...28Adpat%29

That's for a .223, not a 9mm, but even so, it's informative. A .223 typical generates around 1,000 foot pounds, whereas a 9mm is around 400-450 (depending on load type, of course), so you can extrapolate from there.
10-12-2012, 11:35 AM
A 9MM full metal jacket won't go through an average sized phone book. I doubt a hollow point would make it through a wall. In fact, I'd bet that a single layer of sheetrock would pretty much render a hollow point 9MM useless.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
10-12-2012, 11:38 AM
Adding to my previous post about the testing done here:

It appears I spoke too quickly when I said he was testing only .223 -- he actually tested a wide variety of calibers, and he found that pretty much anything will go thru an interior wall, even a .380. Like I said, not an issue for me due to living alone, but very important for others to be aware of.
[+] 1 user Likes pianodwarf's post
(10-12-2012 11:26 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:21 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  What about a 9mm hollow point?
Probably - the ballistics are similar. What you want is frangible ammunition. Or good aim.
Well, I know 9mm hollow points will play havoc on human flesh, so that's what I'm really concerned about... that and not making it through walls.

(10-12-2012 11:38 AM)pianodwarf Wrote:  Adding to my previous post about the testing done here:

It appears I spoke too quickly when I said he was testing only .223 -- he actually tested a wide variety of calibers, and he found that pretty much anything will go thru an interior wall, even a .380. Like I said, not an issue for me due to living alone, but very important for others to be aware of.
Is that hollow point or full metal jacket?