GunTTA: Will hollow points go through walls?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 12:54 PM
RE: GunTTA: Will hollow points go through walls?
(10-12-2012 11:57 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I guess this is best asked here to you, KC, then say, "Ask a Theist": does owning a gun make you feel more safe? I automatically thought you had posted this thread without looking much, since you posted your thread of Christmas presents...

The only time when being near a gun, I was near a police officer. My views are different, due to that. Do you think you might have viewed guns differently if you were born elsewhere than the States?
Chas was born in Canada and look at the arsenal he keeps. Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 03:12 PM
I say get a big knife and stop being a pussy. Or better yet just learn how to use your hands as lethal weapons.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
(10-12-2012 03:12 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I say get a big knife and stop being a pussy. Or better yet just learn how to use your hands as lethal weapons.
I have a razor sharp katana in the house.

Still... guns are the great equalizer.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-12-2012, 03:16 PM
I'd personally rather have a good big knife than a katana inside a house. You don't have to swing it as wide to get maximum damage. If I had real training with a katana I'd reconsider it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
10-12-2012, 06:46 PM
(10-12-2012 12:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(10-12-2012 11:57 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  I guess this is best asked here to you, KC, then say, "Ask a Theist": does owning a gun make you feel more safe? I automatically thought you had posted this thread without looking much, since you posted your thread of Christmas presents...

The only time when being near a gun, I was near a police officer. My views are different, due to that. Do you think you might have viewed guns differently if you were born elsewhere than the States?
I admire a good arsenal, but I admit nothing. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
10-12-2012, 07:00 PM
(10-12-2012 12:54 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

You read too much into what I said, Erx. Drinking Beverage

KC!!!! ANSWER!!! PLZ!!! Tongue (like you don't have enough of that on AAT)

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
10-12-2012, 09:35 PM
(10-12-2012 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I was thinking about this... I don't think they would. Wouldn't the bullet shred once it hits the sheetrock?

I mean, they may penetrate, but they can't be nearly as dangerous (in that tense) as a regular bullet. Right?

Depends on the bullet, the load used, the wall material etc. Its always a risk, particularly when shooing higher powered centerfire pistol rounds or rifle rounds.

If this is a serious concern for you when using a gun for self defense, consider frangible ammunition. It will remain intact going through flesh and bone but shatters on contact with harder materials like rocks, concrete or metal.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/50631

Hollow point rounds will expand much faster than conventional ammo, hence transferring much more of their energy into the target and increasing the stopping power of the bullet, but high power loads are gonna cut through a person like a blowtorch through butter and still have a lot of energy left. This is one reason I'm a big fan of .45ACP. Using the Speer 230 gr JHP, or Federal 230gr Hydra-Shok, its a great man stopper and fiery little over penetration.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
11-12-2012, 10:20 AM

I live in a very, very high crime area. The Baton Rouge/New Orleans area is notorious for its violent crime... which is why civilians have more lenient gun laws.

Yes, it does make me feel safer. I've grown up around guns. I don't have a fear of them, but I have a respect for them. I'm going to teach my children this as well.

I work a lot, which means my family is at home without me most of the day. Guns are the great equalizer. It doesn't matter how strong or fast you are because you aren't strong enough to deflect a bullet and not fast enough to outrun one.

I want my wife and family to be safe, this is the most practical way. We have a right to feel safe in our homes - guns provide a peace of mind to law abiding citizens.

As for my views changing if I was in a different location... possibly... but, I think I would have come to the same conclusion whenever I got a family.

11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Guns accidentally go off and kill kids in the next room all the time. Sometimes they even kill the neighbors next door. That's why my dad was always so paranoid about keeping guns in the house when we were kids. He was a paramedic and cleaned up more than his share of gun-related accidents.

Most interior walls (at least, in the houses I've constructed and lived in) are nothing but studs/insulation sandwiched between two slabs of drywall. Bullets will have no problem sailing right through that - hollow-points included.

For the record, the .223 will penetrate a half-inch of iron with no problem. I've ruined several iron targets with my Mini-14. For the .223, your average interior wall is nothing.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
11-12-2012, 12:31 PM
(11-12-2012 12:24 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Guns accidentally go off and kill kids in the next room all the time. Sometimes they even kill the neighbors next door. That's why my dad was always so paranoid about keeping guns in the house when we were kids. He was a paramedic and cleaned up more than his share of gun-related accidents.

Most interior walls (at least, in the houses I've constructed and lived in) are nothing but studs/insulation sandwiched between two slabs of drywall. Bullets will have no problem sailing right through that - hollow-points included.

For the record, the .223 will penetrate a half-inch of iron with no problem. I've ruined several iron targets with my Mini-14. For the .223, your average interior wall is nothing.
This is why I take caution with my guns. They are loaded but never chambered while at rest; likewise, the safety is always on.

My 9mm slide action is so heavy that my wife has trouble doing it. My 3 year old could probably barely lift the gun.