Guns

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2014, 06:19 AM
RE: Guns
If I was living in a fear-based culture, I'd probably want to own one too.

Blink

The feelings of insecurity that lead to the desire / need to carry a weapon (any weapon) are an indicator of an unhealthy society or one where humans are in direct competition for resources with wild animals (e.g. poisonous snakes, killer woodpeckers or crushed cats).

Drinking Beverage

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
26-05-2014, 06:53 AM
(26-05-2014 06:19 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If I was living in a fear-based culture, I'd probably want to own one too.

Blink

The feelings of insecurity that lead to the desire / need to carry a weapon (any weapon) are an indicator of an unhealthy society or one where humans are in direct competition for resources with wild animals (e.g. poisonous snakes, killer woodpeckers or crushed cats).

Drinking Beverage

I feel a need to point out that gun ownership in America isn't only about self-protection. There is hunting and target/skeet shooting as well as simply collecting.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-05-2014, 11:05 AM
So... Any takers?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
26-05-2014, 11:10 AM
(26-05-2014 11:05 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  So... Any takers?

I think they heard you lock and load. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
26-05-2014, 11:15 AM
(26-05-2014 06:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  The U.S. certainly has a gang problem, but that is only one aspect of larger societal problems of inequity, lack of opportunity, uneven education, dreadful mental health care, etc.

Oh absolutely, gangs are not the root cause of the issue. The break down of the family unit in inner cities for example has been detrimental and caused by a whole host of issues, the result of which is a massive increase in gang membership among youth.
[+] 1 user Likes WhiskeyDebates's post
26-05-2014, 12:18 PM (This post was last modified: 26-05-2014 12:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-05-2014 08:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  So it's time to try something different. 1v1 debate. ... So... Any takers?

I'm not interested in going mano y mano but I will participate here if you'd like.

(25-05-2014 08:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The license may be denied, suspended, or revoked based on the following reasons:
  • Failure to successfully complete the course
  • Commission of a violent felony, or commission of a non-violent felony in the last ten years
  • The presence of a restraining order, warrant, or criminal charges against an applicant
  • Serious mental health concerns, a history of mental health issues or violence, or a history of such in their immediate family
  • In the latter case, the applicant should be able to appeal, and if they can pass a psychological evaluation the license should be granted

I suffer from clinical depression. A serious mental health issue. Should my Mossbergs be confiscated? ... I ain't gonna appeal shit. HIPAA protects me from the State even knowing that.

(25-05-2014 08:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  There would be additional provisions regarding concealed carry:
  • A firearms license would not grant the right to concealed carry
  • Concealed carry would be an additional rider or class of license based on completion of additional training
  • Applicants must take an additional course covering, in detail, the legal aspects of self-defense or defense of others
  • Applicant must pass much more rigorous practical shooting test

In Maryland the seventh most restrictive gun law State, you need to demonstrate a compelling need for concealed carry. "I run book for this dude out of Baltimore and he's got me running all over the city with massive wads of cash in my pocket." would probably work.

(25-05-2014 08:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I would suggest that the following restrictions on gun ownership are not reasonable regulation, but instead represent attempts at punishing gun owners or attempts at banning as many guns as possible. I would strike such laws from the books in every state:
  • Bans on specific makes or models of firearm, such as of AR-15s
  • Bans on specific firearm actions, such as semi-automatic
  • Bans on specific calibres or cartridges
  • Bans on cosmetic or ergonomic features, such as foregrips, rails, types of grips or stocks, etc.
  • Bans on firearm magazines on basis of capacity
  • State firearm registries on the basis of any of the criteria above
  • Waiting periods in excess of 48hrs; the latter being optionally implemented at a state or city level

It's a bit complicated in Maryland. The strict gun laws primarily prevent the transfer of ownership of these regulated firearms within or coming in or going out of Maryland. Our State, we get to make our own rules. I have a friend who owns all sorta firepower now illegal to transfer in the State of Maryland. But he can still own them. He's gotta buy a license and he's required to register them with the State so that when they get a domestic disturbance call at his residence they know whether to respond with Barney Fife or the SWAT team. Just makes good sense to me and most Marylanders.

#sigh
26-05-2014, 01:38 PM
(25-05-2014 08:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I would end the 1986 ban on newly registered machine guns
I think machines guns pose an undue threat to society, I feel it is absurd that a person may feel a need to own one.

Can you please explain your reasoning as to why you think society is better off if people can get access to machine guns?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
26-05-2014, 02:17 PM
(26-05-2014 01:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-05-2014 08:10 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  I would end the 1986 ban on newly registered machine guns
I think machines guns pose an undue threat to society, I feel it is absurd that a person may feel a need to own one.

Can you please explain your reasoning as to why you think society is better off if people can get access to machine guns?

Would you like to argue it in the boxing ring?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
26-05-2014, 02:23 PM
(26-05-2014 01:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  

I've shared this story here before. But it never gets old. Big Grin I work for an armament and munitions laboratory. Some 25 years ago when I was just a young buck there, scientist I worked for wanted to study the relationship between spin rate, accuracy and distance for a howitzer. So he ordered a howitzer. Forgot to tell our installation. 'Cause he's a scientist and shit and drops his pants around his ankles to pee in the urinal. When our installation refused delivery, they dropped the howitzer off in front of his house. Hilarity ensued. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
26-05-2014, 03:06 PM
(26-05-2014 02:17 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(26-05-2014 01:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I think machines guns pose an undue threat to society, I feel it is absurd that a person may feel a need to own one.

Would you like to argue it in the boxing ring?
I don't come from USA, so I am more interested in a discussion on guns with regards to their impact on the safety of society in general (not just within USA society).

I would prefer to have an explorative discussion, exchange of ideas and reasonings rather than trying to win a debate.

I come from a country where guns are restricted and police only carry guns in exceptional circumstances, most people in my country would deem private ownership of a machine gun (for protection) to be absurd. I think most people in my country would consider allowing people to own pistols for protection as absurd. So this is my starting point. I naturally gravitate towards the view that gun restrictions are warranted.

If you expect a highly informative debate from someone who has put extensive research into the topic then you ought to look for an alternative dance partner.

But right now, I am certainly interested to know why you think society is better off if you make machine guns accessible to the general public?
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post