Guns. No politics.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2014, 09:20 PM
Rainbow Guns. No politics.
Let's try this again, and save the politics for the threads in, you know, the politics forum. If anyone does try to turn it into a gun control debate, please try not to respond to them.

Anyway, I went to the range with the Garand last Saturday, had a good time. Put 64 rounds down range, plus about 50 rounds of .22. I enjoy rapid firing it, and have gotten to the point where, even at 50 yards, I can keep most of my rounds on a man size target while doing so.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
07-05-2014, 04:41 PM
RE: Guns. No politics.
Nice Thumbsup thanks for sharing Big Grin

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
07-05-2014, 08:23 PM
Nice! I wish I had a good place for shooting outdoors. I shoot pistols and my Ruger 10/22 at an indoor range, but all of our outdoor ranges have waiting lists for new members.
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
08-05-2014, 12:24 AM
(07-05-2014 08:23 PM)beeglez Wrote:  Nice! I wish I had a good place for shooting outdoors. I shoot pistols and my Ruger 10/22 at an indoor range, but all of our outdoor ranges have waiting lists for new members.

Really? Where are you?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2014, 06:05 AM
(07-05-2014 08:23 PM)beeglez Wrote:  Nice! I wish I had a good place for shooting outdoors. I shoot pistols and my Ruger 10/22 at an indoor range, but all of our outdoor ranges have waiting lists for new members.

Are there outdoor public ranges in your neck of the woods? I'm on a waiting list for 2 private ranges around here, but there are at least 3 outdoor public ranges within 50 miles.

OP, How's your shoulder after those 64 rounds? I have a Mosin Nagant that I love to shoot, but it kills my shoulder after about 40 rds. How bad is the Garand?

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
08-05-2014, 08:01 AM
The Garand kicks a little less than a Mosin. The gas system taps off a bit of that energy before it hits your shoulder; plus, it weighs 10lbs. So overall a bit less. It's not a pushover though; it's significantly more than an AK or AR. 64 rounds still gave me a little bit of a sore shoulder, but nothing like a Mosin or a Mauser would.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
08-05-2014, 08:18 AM
(08-05-2014 08:01 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The Garand kicks a little less than a Mosin. The gas system taps off a bit of that energy before it hits your shoulder; plus, it weighs 10lbs. So overall a bit less. It's not a pushover though; it's significantly more than an AK or AR. 64 rounds still gave me a little bit of a sore shoulder, but nothing like a Mosin or a Mauser would.

I've never fired a Garand. I feel so deprived.

I guess it's like the difference between my Mossberg 500 and my Remington 1100. The Mossberg is going to bruise my shoulder firing it a lot. The Remington, I could fire all day and only be a tiny bit sore.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
08-05-2014, 09:31 AM
(08-05-2014 08:01 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The Garand kicks a little less than a Mosin. The gas system taps off a bit of that energy before it hits your shoulder; plus, it weighs 10lbs. So overall a bit less. It's not a pushover though; it's significantly more than an AK or AR. 64 rounds still gave me a little bit of a sore shoulder, but nothing like a Mosin or a Mauser would.

I have a Mauser and a Mosin and I approve this message! Those steel buttplates will make you think twice about shooting your enemy. Big Grin

I am jealous. I've wanted a Garand for years, but when they shot wayyy up in price, I decided it wasn't worth it. If I were going to spend a grand on a rifle, it would be a modern one, like an AR-15. Not that I will buy one of those either. Too expensive for my 'needs'. I have a fun time plinking with my .22 or occasionally one of the larger bores for fun (and to keep them in good shape).

08-05-2014, 10:34 AM
(08-05-2014 09:31 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  

I have a Mauser and a Mosin and I approve this message! Those steel buttplates will make you think twice about shooting your enemy. Big Grin

I am jealous. I've wanted a Garand for years, but when they shot wayyy up in price, I decided it wasn't worth it. If I were going to spend a grand on a rifle, it would be a modern one, like an AR-15. Not that I will buy one of those either. Too expensive for my 'needs'. I have a fun time plinking with my .22 or occasionally one of the larger bores for fun (and to keep them in good shape).

I'm building an AR slowly, part by part. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a rifle, I want it to be a damn good rifle. I just can't afford to buy it all in one go. This way, I can plop down a few hundred here and there and build the exact gun I want.

The Mosin is just for shits and giggles. It was $75 and the ammo is ridiculously cheap, I bought a can of it at the same time. I was thinking about getting some new furniture for it, but I can't bring myself to spend twice what the gun is worth for some added comfort. I'll just man up and take my bruises.

08-05-2014, 11:17 AM
(08-05-2014 10:34 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 09:31 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I have a Mauser and a Mosin and I approve this message! Those steel buttplates will make you think twice about shooting your enemy. Big Grin

I'm building an AR slowly, part by part. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a rifle, I want it to be a damn good rifle. I just can't afford to buy it all in one go. This way, I can plop down a few hundred here and there and build the exact gun I want.

The Mosin is just for shits and giggles. It was $75 and the ammo is ridiculously cheap, I bought a can of it at the same time. I was thinking about getting some new furniture for it, but I can't bring myself to spend twice what the gun is worth for some added comfort. I'll just man up and take my bruises.

As for the Mosin...I prefer to keep it 'as is', the way it was used, it was a war rifle, and if you're an amateur historian (as I like to think of myself as) it is kind of a shame to make it into something else.

On the other hand, you can get a decent modernized bolt-action rifle by retrofitting it with a new stock and scope for a decent price. They make decent hunting rifles, if you're a hunter. And another way to look at it, is these old rifles were constantly 'retro-fitted' during times of war, and virtually every Mosin has mismatched parts anyway.

However, if I were to do the unthinkable and 'modernize' an old military rifle to have a great, accurate rifle on the cheap, I'd rather do it to a Mauser. Mausers have that famous German engineering. They were better built, tighter specs, smoother bolt action. Granted the ammo for the Mausers have all but dried up (You can have the barrel 'rebored' by a gunsmith if you want), but it is a superior rifle. My Mauser predates the first World War...it's over 100 years old, but it would still make a fine hunting rifle.