Guns. No politics.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2014, 11:28 AM
RE: Guns. No politics.
(08-05-2014 11:17 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 10:34 AM)itsnotmeitsyou Wrote:  I'm building an AR slowly, part by part. If I'm gonna spend that kind of money on a rifle, I want it to be a damn good rifle. I just can't afford to buy it all in one go. This way, I can plop down a few hundred here and there and build the exact gun I want.

The Mosin is just for shits and giggles. It was $75 and the ammo is ridiculously cheap, I bought a can of it at the same time. I was thinking about getting some new furniture for it, but I can't bring myself to spend twice what the gun is worth for some added comfort. I'll just man up and take my bruises.

As for the Mosin...I prefer to keep it 'as is', the way it was used, it was a war rifle, and if you're an amateur historian (as I like to think of myself as) it is kind of a shame to make it into something else.

On the other hand, you can get a decent modernized bolt-action rifle by retrofitting it with a new stock and scope for a decent price. They make decent hunting rifles, if you're a hunter. And another way to look at it, is these old rifles were constantly 'retro-fitted' during times of war, and virtually every Mosin has mismatched parts anyway.

However, if I were to do the unthinkable and 'modernize' an old military rifle to have a great, accurate rifle on the cheap, I'd rather do it to a Mauser. Mausers have that famous German engineering. They were better built, tighter specs, smoother bolt action. Granted the ammo for the Mausers have all but dried up (You can have the barrel 'rebored' by a gunsmith if you want), but it is a superior rifle. My Mauser predates the first World War...it's over 100 years old, but it would still make a fine hunting rifle.

My Mosin turns 100 this year. That's another reason I don't want to change the furniture. I have a Remington 700 that is a far better hunting rifle than the nagant could ever be. The Nagant is literally just for the range. Like I said, it was a cheap gun and the ammo is ridiculously cheap. I also toyed with putting a cheap scope on it, but I can hit a stationary clay at 150 yds using the iron sights with it already. again, didn't see the point in spending more on the upgrade than the gun was worth.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2014, 05:53 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2014 05:56 PM by beeglez.)
(08-05-2014 12:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-05-2014 08:23 PM)beeglez Wrote:  Nice! I wish I had a good place for shooting outdoors. I shoot pistols and my Ruger 10/22 at an indoor range, but all of our outdoor ranges have waiting lists for new members.

Really? Where are you?

Central NC. We have outdoor ranges that aren't within a reasonable driving range for a day trip. There is one in the works closer to me, though.
I envy people who live outside city limits where they can shoot on their own property. I could try it, but the neighbors who live 10 yards behind be would probably get all bent out of shape! Big Grin

This is a cool thread. As far as I know, the patrons at my gun range as well as the people in my ladies gun club are predominately conservative Christians. I'm curious to know how many atheists also like guns. It never comes up as a topic at my meetup groups!
[+] 1 user Likes beeglez's post
08-05-2014, 05:58 PM
(08-05-2014 05:53 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 12:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  Really? Where are you?

Central NC. We have outdoor ranges that aren't within a reasonable driving range for a day trip. There is one in the works closer to me, though.
I envy people who live outside city limits where they can shoot on their own property. I could try it, but the neighbors who live 10 yards behind be would probably get all bent out of shape! Big Grin

This is a cool thread. As far as I know, the patrons at my gun range as well as the people in my ladies gun club are predominately conservative Christians. I'm curious to know how many atheists also like guns. It never comes up as a topic at my meetup groups!

I'm fortunate to be in a part of CA with good ranges. I'm in the Imperial Valley, east of LA. It's still city, but there's still a big patch of undeveloped farmland in the south half of the valley, bordered by hills, and there are a couple good ranges there within 20-30 minutes drive. There's also a couple ranges in the mountains an hour north.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
08-05-2014, 07:40 PM
(08-05-2014 05:58 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 05:53 PM)beeglez Wrote:  Central NC. We have outdoor ranges that aren't within a reasonable driving range for a day trip. There is one in the works closer to me, though.

I'm fortunate to be in a part of CA with good ranges. I'm in the Imperial Valley, east of LA. It's still city, but there's still a big patch of undeveloped farmland in the south half of the valley, bordered by hills, and there are a couple good ranges there within 20-30 minutes drive. There's also a couple ranges in the mountains an hour north.

Growing up in rural Ohio has its benefits. There's an indoor range just down the street and a public outdoor range about 20 miles out. Private ranges are all over, but they're popular. Membership is hard to get.

I'm looking at some land out in the country that's large enough for a range. I'd love to be able to shoot in my back yard.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
09-05-2014, 06:50 AM
(08-05-2014 05:53 PM)beeglez Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 12:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  Really? Where are you?

In a 15 mi. radius of my house there are at least 8 gun clubs with ranges. They are not very expensive (~$100/yr.), all have ranges, and none have waiting lists.
If I go out to 20 mi., there are twice that.

Some have indoor ranges, all have outdoor ranges. They vary in focus; some concentrate on shotgun sports, some on competition shooting, some on cowboy shooting, and so on, but one can shoot/practice rifle and pistol at all of them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-05-2014, 07:02 AM
(09-05-2014 06:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 05:53 PM)beeglez Wrote:  Central NC. We have outdoor ranges that aren't within a reasonable driving range for a day trip. There is one in the works closer to me, though.

In a 15 mi. radius of my house there are at least 8 gun clubs with ranges. They are not very expensive (~$100/yr.), all have ranges, and none have waiting lists.
If I go out to 20 mi., there are twice that.

Some have indoor ranges, all have outdoor ranges. They vary in focus; some concentrate on shotgun sports, some on competition shooting, some on cowboy shooting, and so on, but one can shoot/practice rifle and pistol at all of them.

I'm more than a bit jealous. The private ranges are more than 3x that much around here and all have waiting lists. There are enough public ranges that I can shoot whenever I want, but I'm not a fan of public ranges. They usually have hours that are terrible and I don't like the public in general. The private range near my place that I've been trying to get into for a few years now is where I took my CCW course. They have keycard access, so I could go shooting at 3 am if I were so inclined. Hell, even being able to shoot at 9 or 10 PM would be nice after a long stressful day.

Of course, if I owned the property I want, I'd be able to shoot anything I could get my hands on at any time of day or night.

09-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Gun clubs are alien to me. I'm really just a hillbilly who can go to back yard to shoot if I so wish...and I do. I have almost no experience in archery, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go if I didn't have other things that took precedence on 'things to spend money on' list. Maybe next year? Anyhow, that may be an option for some of you who enjoy the sport of shooting.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
09-05-2014, 12:44 PM
(09-05-2014 12:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Gun clubs are alien to me. I'm really just a hillbilly who can go to back yard to shoot if I so wish...and I do. I have almost no experience in archery, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go if I didn't have other things that took precedence on 'things to spend money on' list. Maybe next year? Anyhow, that may be an option for some of you who enjoy the sport of shooting.

That's what I'm going for. I live in a city right now, but grew up in the middle of nowhere Ohio. Growing up, people just went out into the woods and shot. There are lots of ravines and hills around here that make fantastic backstops. I need to get back out in the country where I belong.

[+] 1 user Likes itsnotmeitsyou's post
09-05-2014, 01:47 PM
(09-05-2014 12:31 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Gun clubs are alien to me. I'm really just a hillbilly who can go to back yard to shoot if I so wish...and I do. I have almost no experience in archery, but I wouldn't mind giving it a go if I didn't have other things that took precedence on 'things to spend money on' list. Maybe next year? Anyhow, that may be an option for some of you who enjoy the sport of shooting.

Around these here parts, we got 'sportsman's clubs' that offer shooting and archery.
Many have fishing and hunting, as well.

I, too, can go out back and shoot, but I prefer going to the range. There is company, help, advice, and I get to see other guns and even try them.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-05-2014, 05:30 PM
When I was in the USN we had a saying "All the big guns are in the Navy". Mostly to dick with the Army and their pussy howitzers. We called them Christian-makers 'cause after a few shells lobbed in the locals would ask "Where do we sign up to be Christian, boss."

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post