Guns on Campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2015, 05:16 AM
Guns on Campus
Now this is just plain ass stupid (IMHO).

Quote:At a time when most college campuses prohibit guns, Liberty University President Jerry Falwell Jr. thinks the opposite should be the case -- urging his school's students to be armed, especially in light of this week's massacre in San Bernardino, California.

"I always thought that if more good people had concealed-carry permits, then we could end those Muslims before they walk in and kill," he said.

Censored

DJWeeping

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2015, 06:08 AM
RE: Guns on Campus
[Image: image.png]

Oh look, another gun thread. Now if only we had a particular part of the forum dedicated to firearms to properly put them into.........

Drinking Beverage

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
06-12-2015, 06:17 AM
Why didn't they lynch the communist Bernie Sanders when he visited?

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-12-2015, 06:27 AM
I used to work at a major pizza chain in that city, worked with some of his students. That campus is lying it's ass off about how "pure" the students are. Their students would lie to the RAs all the time about what they did off campus. And constantly had them apologize for all the bigoted crap that family spewed.

That city, including the right that doesn't bow to that family, hates that family. That family has constantly bullied that city. There are 3 other colleges in that area, one which Falwell failed out of, Lynchburg College. Two of LC's professors wrote an unauthorized biography about that fat fuck. The News And Advance is the only local media that refuses to bow to him. At least when I lived there.

http://www.amazon.com/Jerry-Falwell-An-U...B0012GEAHU

I like what Hitchens said upon his death, "If you gave that man an enema you could bury him in a matchbox".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
06-12-2015, 07:01 AM
I would like to know why you think its stupid? People carry guns concealed at college campuses all the time. It's not those guys you have to worry about. If you look at the college shootings that have happened in the last 10 years, none of them were by people that were licensed to carry, as far as I can recall.

We have this same discussion all the time, and I will say it again.

CRIMINALS THAT WANT TO SHOOT UP A SCHOOL WILL WALK RIGHT PAST A "NO GUNS ALLOWED" SIGN.

"Evil will always triumph over good, because good is dumb." - Lord Dark Helmet
[Image: 25397spaceballs.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Lord Dark Helmet's post
06-12-2015, 07:19 AM
(06-12-2015 07:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I would like to know why you think its stupid? People carry guns concealed at college campuses all the time. It's not those guys you have to worry about. If you look at the college shootings that have happened in the last 10 years, none of them were by people that were licensed to carry, as far as I can recall.

We have this same discussion all the time, and I will say it again.

CRIMINALS THAT WANT TO SHOOT UP A SCHOOL WILL WALK RIGHT PAST A "NO GUNS ALLOWED" SIGN.

Knock it off, this is NOT about rights. The problem is our vetting process SUCKS. People with no record are presumed to be "responsible" forever. The MAJORITY of BOTH legal AND illegal gun injury and death, is in the home/neighborhood involving someone the victim knows.

Being armed does not insure safety. The SB shooters had no priors. The Va Tech shooter had no priors. The Navy Yard DC had armed personal. The Las Vegas couple murdered TWO armed cops and and ARMED legal permit carry civilian in the Walmart. There was X Military legal carry at the Oregon shooting, that guy said he didn't get involved because he didn't want to be confused for being the bad guy.

Don't rightfully say you want guns out of the wrong hands then refuse to make them harder to get. The issue isn't legal vs illegal. The issue is VOLUME MADE and ease of access. If you would STOP worshiping a gun like ISIS is willing to kill to protect the Koran, maybe you could see there simply is TOO MUCH WORSHIP of guns and no fucking practical management.

Gun worshipers over estimate their ability. It simply isn't enough to be able to shoot a target at a range. Police and military not only have to hit their target, but also have to be STRESS trained under traumatic situations and that training has to be constant over the years. Civilians want all the rights and none of the responsibility that goes with those rights.

Now I defy you to show me anything in what I just typed above says "ban all guns".

06-12-2015, 07:48 AM
(06-12-2015 07:19 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Being armed does not insure safety.
Quote:No one has said it does.
The SB shooters had no priors. The Va Tech shooter had no priors. The Navy Yard DC had armed personal.

Those armed personnel weren't anywhere near the scene of the shootings.

Quote:The Las Vegas couple murdered TWO armed cops and and ARMED legal permit carry civilian in the Walmart.

What's your point?

The Walmart couple surprised the cops and murdered them in a pizza shop, not Walmart.
The armed civilian in the Walmart store didn't realize there were two shooters and was shot from behind by the woman.

What's your point?

Quote:There was X Military legal carry at the Oregon shooting, that guy said he didn't get involved because he didn't want to be confused for being the bad guy.

So? He chose that course of non-action.

Quote:Don't rightfully say you want guns out of the wrong hands then refuse to make them harder to get.

Who here has advocated that?

Quote:The issue isn't legal vs illegal. The issue is VOLUME MADE and ease of access.

No, it isn't. The manufacturers are responding to market demand. People want guns.

Quote:If you would STOP worshiping a gun like ISIS is willing to kill to protect the Koran, maybe you could see there simply is TOO MUCH WORSHIP of guns and no fucking practical management.

Please define "TOO MUCH WORSHIP of guns". Consider

Quote:Gun worshipers over estimate their ability. It simply isn't enough to be able to shoot a target at a range. Police and military not only have to hit their target, but also have to be STRESS trained under traumatic situations and that training has to be constant over the years. Civilians want all the rights and none of the responsibility that goes with those rights.

Do you have some actual facts to back that up? Cops are not very well-trained nor are they very good shots in general. Just look at all the bad shootings by cops.

Quote:Now I defy you to show me anything in what I just typed above says "ban all guns".

Who said you did?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
06-12-2015, 08:36 AM
So, you do understand that if someone even merely wants to rob you with a gun, they are going to ambush you and have that gun pointed at you before you reach your own. Just like they did the cops, so again, having those guns did not save even the cops. And the armed civilian walked past the armed women because he had no threat assessment training, again the civilian was legally armed and even having knowledge of the criminals didn't save him even after he had drawn his own gun. Introducing a gun into a conflict does not insure safety.

Your problem is that your selection bias and sample rate error, stop treating gun use as if it is a Hollywood Movie where the good guy always wins.

[+] 2 users Like Brian37's post
06-12-2015, 08:51 AM
(06-12-2015 08:36 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  So, you do understand that if someone even merely wants to rob you with a gun, they are going to ambush you and have that gun pointed at you before you reach your own.

There are other scenarios, those aren't the only ones.

Quote:Just like they did the cops, so again, having those guns did not save even the cops. And the armed civilian walked past the armed women

There is no evidence that he walked past her.

Quote:because he had no threat assessment training,

What is your evidence of that?

Quote:again the civilian was legally armed and even having knowledge of the criminals didn't save him even after he had drawn his own gun. Introducing a gun into a conflict does not insure safety.

Once again, no one has claimed that. Quit strawmanning.

Quote:Your problem is that your selection bias and sample rate error, stop treating gun use as if it is a Hollywood Movie where the good guy always wins.

Your problem is fanaticism which makes it impossible for you to look at this realistically.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
06-12-2015, 08:53 AM
If you are not accusing the left of wanting to take away all guns, then stop acting like a paranoid baby.

We don't do enough to keep BOTH legal and illegal guns out of the wrong hands. We make way too many and they are way too easy to get, both legal and illegal. Nobody needs a a rapid fire spray weapon, and nobody needs huge clips. And since people with no prior records with mental issues and or addictions and no prior arrests for abuse can fly under the radar they are deemed "responsible" forever, instead we need to vet them much deeper than we do.

What do you want, less gun death? Less mass shootings? Do you want to keep guns out of the wrong hands? GREAT, but more guns is not the solution. Do nothing, other bad things happen, and doomsday "big bad government" doomsday fear garbage isn't going to cut it.