Guns on Campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-12-2015, 01:43 PM
RE: Guns on Campus
(06-12-2015 06:08 AM)bemore Wrote:  [Image: image.png]

Oh look, another gun thread. Now if only we had a particular part of the forum dedicated to firearms to properly put them into.........

Drinking Beverage

We could just rename the viper's pit the gun forum and move all the threads there. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-12-2015, 10:40 AM
Guns on Campus
That's just asking for trouble.
12-12-2015, 10:59 AM
(06-12-2015 07:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 07:19 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Being armed does not insure safety.
The SB shooters had no priors. The Va Tech shooter had no priors. The Navy Yard DC had armed personal.

Those armed personnel weren't anywhere near the scene of the shootings.

ummmm .... they sure as shit were at Navy Yard given that the shooter killed an armed guard and took his gun.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-12-2015, 01:17 PM
(06-12-2015 07:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I would like to know why you think its stupid? People carry guns concealed at college campuses all the time. It's not those guys you have to worry about.
Carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is never a good idea, well, unless you are going to war, but then again war isn't a great idea either.

I have no issues with a gun enthusiast going to a gun club somewhere in the hills, in a secluded area where parents can choose to keep their kids well away.

But dicks that imagine themselves to be Rambo, or Dirty Harry, or John Wayne packing loaded guns in public places. Well, I'd rather those dicks not have any guns at all. And certainly not in public place, not around children, not in malls, not in schools, not in cities or towns. Those "hero"'s aren't stable enough to own guns.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
12-12-2015, 05:07 PM
(12-12-2015 01:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is never a good idea, well, unless you are going to war, but then again war isn't a great idea either.

Actually, carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is always a good idea. Here in the US, sometimes people commit mass murder, and possessing a gun makes stopping a mass murderer easier.
12-12-2015, 07:06 PM
(12-12-2015 05:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 01:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is never a good idea, well, unless you are going to war, but then again war isn't a great idea either.

Actually, carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is always a good idea. Here in the US, sometimes people commit mass murder, and possessing a gun makes stopping a mass murderer easier.
Quote:Actually, carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is always a good idea. Here in the US, sometimes people commit mass murder, and possessing a gun makes stopping a mass murderer easier.

Could not disagree with you more.

DJ

Live Better...Help Often....Wonder More
[+] 1 user Likes OhDannyBoy's post
13-12-2015, 12:44 PM
(12-12-2015 05:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

Is that your job? Or are you just a self appointed "hero" in waiting?

Like a "kick ass" style "hero"
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
13-12-2015, 01:11 PM
(13-12-2015 12:44 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(12-12-2015 05:07 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Actually, carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is always a good idea. Here in the US, sometimes people commit mass murder, and possessing a gun makes stopping a mass murderer easier.
Is that your job? Or are you just a self appointed "hero" in waiting?

Like a "kick ass" style "hero"

Well, after thinking about, you're right, there's no need for guns. If we just politely ask the mass murderer to stop killing people, I'm sure he'll stop....

In all seriousness, I don't carry a gun. Of course, I also live in a small town and don't spend much time in populated areas. If I had to go back to Indianapolis I would probably start carrying. It's one of those "rather have it and not need it" situations for me. I grew up using guns and I'm just not scared of guns. I never feel less safe when I'm in possession of a gun. I encourage people to carry guns, and I think it should be a crime to strip our teachers of their guns when we know that some of them will get shot at.
13-12-2015, 02:40 PM
(13-12-2015 01:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  In all seriousness, I don't carry a gun. Of course, I also live in a small town and don't spend much time in populated areas.
I don't carry a gun either, I do live in a city, but I feel no need to carry guns or knives or softball bat or any other weapon. I just don't generally get into trouble, don't walk down dark alleys, don't associate with criminals or gang members, if someone confronts me, I walk away.

(13-12-2015 01:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  If I had to go back to Indianapolis I would probably start carrying. It's one of those "rather have it and not need it" situations for me.
For me, its a case of, I'd rather those around me not have it. And given the laws in my country, the crim's don't generally have it.
(13-12-2015 01:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I grew up using guns and I'm just not scared of guns. I never feel less safe when I'm in possession of a gun.
Yes, when I was a kid I had a fascination for guns too. I was all macho and immature and thought guns were great. I loved to shoot them, loved to kill birds, and go after rabbits. I only every owned a slug gun (air rifle). I did get my firearms license but never owned a firearm. I had used a .22, a .308, a shot gun. Had even fired a pistol and a semi automatic rife at a gun club.
At no point did I ever think I was safer with a gun. A gun is a deadly weapon. It needs to be handled with extreme caution. I was always very careful when handling a gun. When I walked around the farm, I always made sure the safety was on. When I got near a house, I always broke open the action, if I was headed home I always unloaded the gun AND broke open the action.
Guns are never safe. I was ALWAYS aware that there was MORE danger with me having a gun than not having one.
It certainly does concern me when I hear a person say something along the lines of "I never feel less safe when I'm in possession of a gun.". Perhaps you don't have enough respect for a deadly weapon. Perhaps you have become too accustomed to it and have forgotten the dangers of handling a firearm?
(13-12-2015 01:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I encourage people to carry guns
I encourage people to be safe. To avoid confrontation, to walk in groups, to avoid dangerous streets, to stay on well lit, well populated paths.
Where I come from it is illegal to walk around town with a gun, only overly aggressive people or insanely paranoid nutters walk around with a knife in their pocket for "protection".
(13-12-2015 01:11 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  ..and I think it should be a crime to strip our teachers of their guns when we know that some of them will get shot at.
I think it should be a crime for teachers to bring guns to school. A crime for anyone to bring a gun anywhere near a school.
Police should have the legal right to immediately intervene, to immediately remove anyone in possession of a gun from the vicinity of a school.
If someone is anywhere near a populated area with a loaded gun then the police should have the legal right to immediately remove them (as a threat). Lock them up, take away their guns, take away their legal ability to ever possess a gun ever again.
It seems a bit late to let them carry loaded guns around and only allow the police to intervene once they have starting shooting at people.
Teachers aren't fighters, they aren't people that get excited about being in gun fights. It's a bit rich to expect teachers to fight off armed attackers.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
13-12-2015, 03:43 PM
(12-12-2015 01:17 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(06-12-2015 07:01 AM)Lord Dark Helmet Wrote:  I would like to know why you think its stupid? People carry guns concealed at college campuses all the time. It's not those guys you have to worry about.
Carrying a loaded weapon into a populated area is never a good idea, well, unless you are going to war, but then again war isn't a great idea either.

I have no issues with a gun enthusiast going to a gun club somewhere in the hills, in a secluded area where parents can choose to keep their kids well away.

But dicks that imagine themselves to be Rambo, or Dirty Harry, or John Wayne packing loaded guns in public places. Well, I'd rather those dicks not have any guns at all. And certainly not in public place, not around children, not in malls, not in schools, not in cities or towns. Those "hero"'s aren't stable enough to own guns.

You think it's appropriate to stereotype people, simply because they're knowledgeable about that which you know nothing???

You obviously know NOTHING about the mentality of gun owners, or those who carry guns.

I do. I've been around guns and the people who carry them most of my life.

I've carried a gun daily since 2001.

In short -- take your false perceptions and your bigotry and stuff it...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.