Guns on Campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2015, 03:49 PM
RE: Guns on Campus
(13-12-2015 03:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You think it's appropriate to stereotype people, simply because they're knowledgeable about that which you know nothing???

You obviously know NOTHING about the mentality of gun owners, or those who carry guns.

I do. I've been around guns and the people who carry them most of my life.

I've carried a gun daily since 2001.

In short -- take your false perceptions and your bigotry and stuff it...
I've read many of your posts on guns.
I wouldn't be comfortable with you owning guns.
Out of all the pro gun people who regularly post about guns on this forum. You would be the one I would trust the least.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
13-12-2015, 04:01 PM
(13-12-2015 03:43 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You obviously know NOTHING about the mentality of gun owners, or those who carry guns.

I do. I've been around guns and the people who carry them most of my life.
Most people can be a gun owner or carry guns in the USA.
I don't have any issues with people that own a 0.22 to kill rabbits, or a 0.308 to hunt deer.
I would expect the mentality of people in this group (gun owner or carry guns) to be vastly diverse.
And in many ways be representative of the vastly diverse mentality of people within general society.
Some of those people are wholly unfit to carry a gun and are downright dangerous to society.
None of those people in this group ought to be carrying guns to schools.
I certainly do have concerns about people who feel they need to carry a gun every day. And I certainly do have concerns about people who think they need guns to defend themselves from the police and government.
I certainly do have concerns about people who think they need to carry weapons to protect themselves.
And I certainly do have concerns about people who feel they need to carry a gun (as a duty to protect others), especially when it isn't their job to do so (i.e. not an armoured guard, or security guard, or a police officer) a.k.a. they are a self made "kick-ass" hero wanna-be.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
13-12-2015, 04:40 PM
(13-12-2015 04:01 PM)Stevil Wrote:  I certainly do have concerns about people who feel they need to carry a gun every day. And I certainly do have concerns about people who think they need guns to defend themselves from the police and government.
I certainly do have concerns about people who think they need to carry weapons to protect themselves.
And I certainly do have concerns about people who feel they need to carry a gun (as a duty to protect others), especially when it isn't their job to do so (i.e. not an armoured guard, or security guard, or a police officer) a.k.a. they are a self made "kick-ass" hero wanna-be.

Well, I don't think of myself as Rambo (I didn't like the movie, either), but I'm not in the best physical shape and would be at a distinct disadvantage in any kind of confrontation. Likewise, I'm in no shape to carry a cop on my back, and I can't afford a bodyguard. Robberies do occur around here, and I sometimes find myself in the kind of places that get hit (the Little Caesar's we go to has been hit twice this year). So, if I do get unlucky, I can place my faith in either the basic humanity of the Perp, or in my ability to defend myself. Frankly, I'm not happy with either of these options on their face and I feel the need to give myself an edge. That is why I sometimes carry a gun.
13-12-2015, 04:56 PM
(13-12-2015 04:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Well, I don't think of myself as Rambo (I didn't like the movie, either)
Funnily enough, I love the Rambo movies. Part I and Part IV especially.
(13-12-2015 04:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  , but I'm not in the best physical shape and would be at a distinct disadvantage in any kind of confrontation.
If you were wanting to attack people and rob them then perhaps gun accessibility could open up that as an option for a person with your physical attributes.
It works both ways.
(13-12-2015 04:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Robberies do occur around here, and I sometimes find myself in the kind of places that get hit (the Little Caesar's we go to has been hit twice this year). So, if I do get unlucky, I can place my faith in either the basic humanity of the Perp, or in my ability to defend myself.
Perhaps you could just give them your money and no-one gets hurt OR perhaps you could get involved in a shoot out and PERHAPS you win and are hailed as a hero. Who knows the possibilities that a shoot out could present?
(13-12-2015 04:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Frankly, I'm not happy with either of these options on their face and I feel the need to give myself an edge. That is why I sometimes carry a gun.
By this could I assume you would be happy to drive down to pick your kid up from school without carrying a loaded weapon you you?
Perhaps even watch a bunch of 6 year olds play netball for half an hour without having to have your gun there to witness the occasion?
13-12-2015, 05:25 PM
(13-12-2015 04:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 04:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Robberies do occur around here, and I sometimes find myself in the kind of places that get hit (the Little Caesar's we go to has been hit twice this year). So, if I do get unlucky, I can place my faith in either the basic humanity of the Perp, or in my ability to defend myself.
Perhaps you could just give them your money and no-one gets hurt OR perhaps you could get involved in a shoot out and PERHAPS you win and are hailed as a hero. Who knows the possibilities that a shoot out could present

A hero is a fat sandwich. What I would actually do would depend on my estimation of the total situation, including my own state of mind. What made the famous gunslingers of the Old West so deadly wasn't their speed or their accuracy, rather it was their absolute certainty before guns were drawn that their opponent was a dead man walking.

Quote:
(13-12-2015 04:40 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Frankly, I'm not happy with either of these options on their face and I feel the need to give myself an edge. That is why I sometimes carry a gun.
By this could I assume you would be happy to drive down to pick your kid up from school without carrying a loaded weapon you you?
Perhaps even watch a bunch of 6 year olds play netball for half an hour without having to have your gun there to witness the occasion?

Probably, except my son's are married (and have their own guns).
13-12-2015, 05:56 PM
(13-12-2015 05:25 PM)jabeady Wrote:  A hero is a fat sandwich. What I would actually do would depend on my estimation of the total situation, including my own state of mind. What made the famous gunslingers of the Old West so deadly wasn't their speed or their accuracy, rather it was their absolute certainty before guns were drawn that their opponent was a dead man walking.
Ideally, rather than take your opportunity to kill someone, perhaps if the situation is going down the non lethal route then let the crim' get away with the theft rather than take your absolute certainty shot and kill him?

Does stealing $100 deserve a death sentence?

But anyway, it seems many many people may not have the patience, or nerves of steal to endure being the victim of a theft without being able to resist the temptation to draw their gun.

Perhaps you are that sensible, but do you think all gun owners are as well? I have heard of some situations (in USA) where they leave the garage open, put a purse down in full sight of the footpath and then wait patiently in the bushes with their gun, hoping someone will come to steal the purse.
13-12-2015, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 13-12-2015 07:51 PM by jabeady.)
(13-12-2015 05:56 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-12-2015 05:25 PM)jabeady Wrote:  A hero is a fat sandwich. What I would actually do would depend on my estimation of the total situation, including my own state of mind. What made the famous gunslingers of the Old West so deadly wasn't their speed or their accuracy, rather it was their absolute certainty before guns were drawn that their opponent was a dead man walking.
Ideally, rather than take your opportunity to kill someone, perhaps if the situation is going down the non lethal route then let the crim' get away with the theft rather than take your absolute certainty shot and kill him?

Does stealing $100 deserve a death sentence?

1st, not if he's taking it out of the cash register, several hours after closing time.

2nd, there's a difference between self-defense and execution.

3rd, is it your opinion that he gets to pull the trigger before I do? How long should I wait, what does he have to do, before you would call it a righteous shoot?

Quote:But anyway, it seems many many people may not have the patience, or nerves of steal to endure being the victim of a theft without being able to resist the temptation to draw their gun.

Perhaps you are that sensible,

Sense and patience have nothing to do with it. How great is the danger, and do I think I can actually pull it off are what I expect I'd be thinking. And if I do decide to shoot, I'll go for the middle of his chest or, hopefully, his back.

Quote:do you think all gun owners are as well? I have heard of some situations (in USA) where they leave the garage open, put a purse down in full sight of the footpath and then wait patiently in the bushes with their gun, hoping someone will come to steal the purse.

I have a security camera and an alarm system to keep them out of the house. I drive with the doors locked (to lessen the chance of them springing open in an accident). I look both ways before driving into an intersection or walking across the street. I carry a gallon of fresh water when driving in the desert and a goose - down sleeping bag in the snow. I check my car's spare tire every time I have the tires rotated. I also sometimes carry a gun.
I can't speak for other people, but I practice risk assessment and provide accordingly.

Unquestionably there are cowboys, entirely too many of them. How do you propose to keep guns away from them and not me?

BTW, let's bear in mind that there is no realistic chance that the 2A will be amended or repealed, or that the gun lobby (to which I do not belong) will be weakened or will dry up and blow away
13-12-2015, 08:06 PM
(13-12-2015 07:25 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Unquestionably there are cowboys, entirely too many of them. How do you propose to keep guns away from them and not me?
I like countries where there are gun laws and handguns aren't in general circulation.
I understand people like you may want to own one but if allowing you to have one means that guns become available for most then I'd rather handguns not be available. I'd rather live in a society where most people would think it a nutty suggestion to claim that teachers ought to have guns at school.

(13-12-2015 07:25 PM)jabeady Wrote:  BTW, let's bear in mind that there is no realistic chance that the 2A will be amended or repealed, or that the gun lobby (to which I do not belong) will be weakened or will dry up and blow away
Yeah, I'm not too interested in USA law, constitution and amendments.

In general, I think society is better off without everyone having handguns and I think schools are safer without teachers having them.

If I were in USA I'd probably look to migrate out of the country rather than to try and tackle the NRA and the USA amendments. Life is too short to be in a country where I may feel I need for a gun to protect myself.
14-12-2015, 12:15 AM
(13-12-2015 08:06 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If I were in USA I'd probably look to migrate out of the country rather than to try and tackle the NRA and the USA amendments. Life is too short to be in a country where I may feel I need for a gun to protect myself.

People have also said that they'd leave an area where they had to worry about tornadoes, hurricanes, avalanches, volcanoes, earthquakes, snakes, concentration camps, shoveling snow, pollen and Donald Trump, to mention just a few. Some actually do move for those reasons, but most accept their environment and get on with life.
[+] 1 user Likes jabeady's post
14-12-2015, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2015 06:17 AM by onlinebiker.)
crap...

screwed that up..

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.