Guns on Campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2015, 07:16 AM
RE: Guns on Campus
Man all this gun talk has got me thinking about picking another one up.

I've been wanting some type of ar-15 for a while now. Anybody have any recommendations for a lower-priced one that still has reasonably good quality?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-12-2015, 07:52 AM
(15-12-2015 07:16 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Man all this gun talk has got me thinking about picking another one up.

I've been wanting some type of ar-15 for a while now. Anybody have any recommendations for a lower-priced one that still has reasonably good quality?

What price range are you talking about? $800 and up for a decent one in my opinion. Cheaper than that and you're probably better of going with a non AR. There are some good, cheap carbines not based on the AR platform. I paid a little over a grand for my Bushmaster M4 and closer to 2 grand for my Vector. I'm happy with both. My AK knockoff cost me under $100 in Iraq and it's a piece of shit.

'Murican Canadian
15-12-2015, 08:04 AM
(15-12-2015 07:16 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Man all this gun talk has got me thinking about picking another one up.

I'll vouch for Bushmaster's AR-15 -- but the AR-10 I had was a piece of crap....

A factory 13 LBS pull trigger ---- they called it a "combat trigger"....

Whatta load....

I reworked it - and got it down to about 5, with little take-up and no creep.....

I played with the .308 loads - in everything from 110grain to 180 grain -- and couldn't get better than about 3 inches at 100 yards..... So I sold it...

But - nothing but good luck with the 15.... have had 3 of them -- all great shooters...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
15-12-2015, 09:50 AM

DPMS (Panther Arms)

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-12-2015, 12:54 PM
(15-12-2015 03:43 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 02:47 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Apparently, you don't even live here -- so your "points" mean squat.

End of story.
Geography doesn't invalidate logic, nor is it the basis for good reason or argumentation.
And the gun debate isn't an American thing. It is a world wide issue. Just because USA are the worst example of it in the world doesn't mean that they own it.

When I'm talking about not giving guns to teachers I'm not specifically talking about USA teachers. When I'm talking about not taking loaded guns to school I'm not specifically talking about US schools.
15-12-2015, 01:20 PM
(15-12-2015 07:16 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I've been wanting some type of ar-15 for a while now. Anybody have any recommendations for a lower-priced one that still has reasonably good quality?

My M&P-15 has run 100% flawless ever since I got it. Minute and half to 2 minute accurate with milsup ammo. Like Biker's Bushmaster the trigger was lawyer mandated shit heavy but that can be fixed. You can probably pick one up for about $600 right now if you shop around.

You can probably find an entry level Colt 6920 for around $800 if you try. That would be the way to go if you have a couple of hundred extra to spend up front.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
15-12-2015, 03:54 PM

Nah. You want to get a gun that's really fun to shoot, and looks neat at the range, get one of the Italian repros of late 18th century Old West firearms. Especially something with an octagonal barrel. Then load your cartridges with black powder.

I realize that you guys are mostly AR folks but, c'mon, fun is fun.
15-12-2015, 07:39 PM
(15-12-2015 03:54 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I realize that you guys are mostly AR folks but, c'mon, fun is fun.

Gunna get me one of these one of these days.

[Image: img_1134.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg]

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
15-12-2015, 11:20 PM
(15-12-2015 07:39 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 03:54 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I realize that you guys are mostly AR folks but, c'mon, fun is fun.

Gunna get me one of these one of these days.

[Image: img_1134.jpg_thumbnail1.jpg]
That looks like the one I sold last spring, except mine was 45-70. That looks like 45-110.
16-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Apologies for getting off topic.

(15-12-2015 12:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 03:43 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Geography doesn't invalidate logic, nor is it the basis for good reason or argumentation.
And the gun debate isn't an American thing. It is a world wide issue. Just because USA are the worst example of it in the world doesn't mean that they own it.

When I'm talking about not giving guns to teachers I'm not specifically talking about USA teachers. When I'm talking about not taking loaded guns to school I'm not specifically talking about US schools.

How far do you want to go? Do you think that no citizens should have any guns? Do you think that no citizens should be allowed to carry guns? What is it about law enforcement and soldiers that qualifies them to carry guns? You'd probably cite their training, and you'd be correct in doing so. I propose that any adult could receive that same training, and if we find some adults that are incapable of being trained to carry firearms, maybe we ought to think twice about whether or not they are competent enough to be responsible for teaching and supervising our children. One thing is for sure, it's only a matter of time until someone goes into another school to shoot up the place, and you want to make sure that all of the good guys have no way of stopping them. Huh

I agree that carrying a gun does come with increased risk of being involved in a gun accident. Similarly, driving a car comes with increased risk of being in an auto accident. Also, I've never been in a situation when I've needed a gun. Does that mean I'd be foolish to carry one? I've never needed to wear a seatbelt in my car. I've never been in an accident. Does that mean I'm foolish to wear one? 30,000+ Americans die each year in vehicle accidents each year, does that mean we need to cut all speed limits in half, or perhaps ban the use of cars?

It all comes down to risk management. Most of us feel that the current speed limits give us an acceptable level of risk. We put on our seatbelts, practice defensive techniques, and go driving. When I feel that the risk of being a victim of a violent crime becomes greater than the risk of being involved in a gun accident (which is minimal with proper training), I would like the option to carry a gun, wherever that may be. As I said, I live in a small town where violent crime is virtually non-existent, but if conditions change, I want the option to legally carry a firearm. I certainly don't want the government to be the only one with all the guns.

Again, we know with absolute certainty that more schools will be shot at, and you want to make sure they have no way of shooting back.
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post