Guns on Campus

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2015, 06:50 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2015 06:54 AM by Popeye's Pappy.)
RE: Guns on Campus
(15-12-2015 11:20 PM)jabeady Wrote:  That looks like the one I sold last spring, except mine was 45-70. That looks like 45-110.

That one is a Pedersoli Quigley in 45-120, but I'd be just as happy with a Shiloh Quigley in 45-110.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-12-2015, 04:03 PM
(16-12-2015 06:50 AM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 11:20 PM)jabeady Wrote:  That looks like the one I sold last spring, except mine was 45-70. That looks like 45-110.

That one is a Pedersoli Quigley in 45-120, but I'd be just as happy with a Shiloh Quigley in 45-110.

You're a better man than I am. The 45-70 bruised the hell out of me with only a 330 gn bullet. I've gone back to my trapdoor and Spencer carbines. The shorter barrels make a big difference.
24-12-2015, 10:56 AM
(16-12-2015 06:44 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I want the option to legally carry a firearm. I certainly don't want the government to be the only one with all the guns.

Can you clarify this please. If "the government" are the only ones with guns, wouldn't that tend to stop mass shootings, armed robberies, and domestic gun homicides over night? And how exactly will your carrying a firearm help to prevent the next inevitable mass shooting?

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-12-2015, 01:51 PM
(16-12-2015 06:44 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  How far do you want to go? Do you think that no citizens should have any guns? Do you think that no citizens should be allowed to carry guns?
What I want is for society to be less dangerous.
I am also against too much government power. I am very much liberal. I think prostitution should be legal, I think polygomy should be legal. I think bare breasted woman should be legal. Primarily because I don't think any of these things are a danger to myself or to society.

On the case of weapons, knives, swords, guns, tanks, bombs, these obviously present some danger to people in society.

But as you have pointed out cars can also be dangerous.

Se we look at the trade off. Not having a car will limit job opportunities, it will stifle the economy, limit people's ability to get to school or hospital, limit the ability to get fresh food to places in the country. It seems that there is great value in having cars and transport even though some people will die in road accidents. Laws such as requiring people to wear seatbelts, requiring them to sit theory and practical tests, laws on drink driving, on speed limits etc seek to make driving safer.

When it comes to knives, people use knives to spread butter on their sandwich, to cut tomatoes, to cut steak. Without knives it would be difficult to eat, difficult to fillet fish. So generally there are rules on knives, you can have them at home, but not carry a hunting knife into school or town or on a plane or into a movie theater.

Swords are for killing people. They are dangerous weapons for which we have no utility.

Guns, some people need guns to kill pests (rabbits, possums, magpies), Some people like hunting deer, goats, ducks, pheasants. These guns are generally rifles which are hard to conceal and can be of the type where it is difficult to fire rapidly because perhaps they can hold only 1-6 bullets, or they have an action which forces aim to be lost e.g. bolt action, break action etc. These are sufficient for hunting but very limited for crime. Hence they present much less danger than hand guns and semi automatics and fully automatics.

Guns that are meant for killing people and/or easy concealment provide a great opportunity for would-be thieves, rapists, terrorists and idealists. Also for angry partners or depressed people.

The question regarding handguns is, does it make it safer for people, if they own a hand gun for protection, knowing that it makes it easy for criminals to also get the concealed guns or does it make it safer for people to not have guns, knowing this also makes it hard for criminals to have those guns?

Regarding the question on whether the police should have guns, it seems that the public are safer if they don't. It seems in a society where the criminals rarely have guns then it is rare that the police need them. But on occasion police do need to confront an armed criminal with guns and in that special case the armed offenders squad can be called out.

Do soldiers need guns? Are you going to send them into wars? is an unarmed army trained in marital arts sufficient or do they need weapons?
24-12-2015, 05:35 PM
(15-12-2015 03:54 PM)jabeady Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 07:16 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Man all this gun talk has got me thinking about picking another one up.

I've been wanting some type of ar-15 for a while now. Anybody have any recommendations for a lower-priced one that still has reasonably good quality?
Nah. You want to get a gun that's really fun to shoot, and looks neat at the range, get one of the Italian repros of late 18th century Old West firearms. Especially something with an octagonal barrel. Then load your cartridges with black powder.

I realize that you guys are mostly AR folks but, c'mon, fun is fun.

Black powder?????

I can think of better ways to waste my time...

Stinky, dirty, corrosive......... You might as well toss the gun in the mud and pour acid on it................

I want to spend my time shooting -- not cleaning...............

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
24-12-2015, 05:40 PM
(24-12-2015 10:56 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(16-12-2015 06:44 AM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I want the option to legally carry a firearm. I certainly don't want the government to be the only one with all the guns.

Can you clarify this please. If "the government" are the only ones with guns, wouldn't that tend to stop mass shootings, armed robberies, and domestic gun homicides over night? And how exactly will your carrying a firearm help to prevent the next inevitable mass shooting?

You can make ALL guns illegal - and the mass shootings will likely go on forever...............

Anyone who's decided that their life is over - and they want to go kill people just for the sheer fuck of it - don't worry much about buying an illegal gun.....................

The ONLY way you're going to keep these killings from happening -- is to quit teaching chemistry, machine shop practices, and even how to read.... After all -- if somebody can read, they can LEARN... If they can learn, they can learn how to make shit..... This includes guns and ammo........ It ain't fucking rocket science.......

Remember alcohol prohibition?????

You know what gun prohibition would look like????

A lot the same.... Illegal gun manufacture, with high profits --- providing the next generation of organized crime with something to make money off of......

The bell has been rung...

It's a motherfucker trying to un-ring it......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
24-12-2015, 09:51 PM
(24-12-2015 05:35 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(15-12-2015 03:54 PM)jabeady Wrote:  Nah. You want to get a gun that's really fun to shoot, and looks neat at the range, get one of the Italian repros of late 18th century Old West firearms. Especially something with an octagonal barrel. Then load your cartridges with black powder.

I realize that you guys are mostly AR folks but, c'mon, fun is fun.

Black powder?????

I can think of better ways to waste my time...

Stinky, dirty, corrosive......... You might as well toss the gun in the mud and pour acid on it................

I want to spend my time shooting -- not cleaning...............

Plenty of people do reload with black powder, but most use smokeless. Both are authentic. Myself, I use smokeless and haven't cleaned some of my guns in years.