Guns!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 10:25 AM
RE: Guns!
Chas can you walk me through exactly what you did?, give you a chance to show your side.

I never said you were a liar, your story did change from moderated by splitting to accidental deletion.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
11-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Now I am really confused. You're saying you successfully split the original off-topic post, that did not show up in the new threads. The replies did not follow, so you split them into a new thread that didn't show up. Then these 2 threads that did not show up were merged and in doing so, vanished.

Yes?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
(11-04-2013 10:25 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Chas can you walk me through exactly what you did?, give you a chance to show your side.

I never said you were a liar, your story did change from moderated by splitting to accidental deletion.

I have already explained it in another post.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(11-04-2013 10:26 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Now I am really confused. You're saying you successfully split the original off-topic post, that did not show up in the new threads. The replies did not follow, so you split them into a new thread that didn't show up. Then these 2 threads that did not show up were merged and in doing so, vanished.

Yes?

No.

11-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Ok it looks like 8 posts were lost. Anyone fancy making 8 posts that I can split off. If this was an error in the system then its something that needs to be checked.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-04-2013, 10:30 AM
(11-04-2013 10:29 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Ok it looks like 8 posts were lost. Anyone fancy making 8 posts that I can split off. If this was an error in the system then its something that needs to be checked.

There are plenty in this thread to split.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-04-2013, 10:32 AM
(11-04-2013 10:29 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Ok it looks like 8 posts were lost. Anyone fancy making 8 posts that I can split off. If this was an error in the system then its something that needs to be checked.

No, I am quite sure it was my mistake - the logs don't lie.

11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Need to get everyone's take on something:

Growing up, my dad was always adamant about unloading your guns every once in a while to give the magazine springs a rest. It makes sense, of course, that it can't be good for a spring to have 6 shells or 13 rounds pressing down on it 24/7. However, I always have my firearms loaded and ready for action. (A shotgun behind a door, a Glock on the night-table, a rifle on the wall, etc.) This of course entails that they be loaded. Otherwise, they're not ready to rock and roll if needed.

Am I completely fucking up my springs by doing this? Take my Glock, for example. I've got a few magazines for it, and I alternate between them once (wait for it...) a year. Meaning, one magazine has been sitting in my Glock, loaded, for a year before I empty it out and load a new mag. As for the shotguns, I never unload them unless I'm taking them to the range, and the rifle magazines are on a pretty similar schedule to the pistol.

So...are my springs fucked? Undecided

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
11-04-2013, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2013 11:08 AM by Phaedrus.)
(11-04-2013 10:52 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Need to get everyone's take on something:

Growing up, my dad was always adamant about unloading your guns every once in a while to give the magazine springs a rest. It makes sense, of course, that it can't be good for a spring to have 6 shells or 13 rounds pressing down on it 24/7. However, I always have my firearms loaded and ready for action. (A shotgun behind a door, a Glock on the night-table, a rifle on the wall, etc.) This of course entails that they be loaded. Otherwise, they're not ready to rock and roll if needed.

Am I completely fucking up my springs by doing this? Take my Glock, for example. I've got a few magazines for it, and I alternate between them once (wait for it...) a year. Meaning, one magazine has been sitting in my Glock, loaded, for a year before I empty it out and load a new mag. As for the shotguns, I never unload them unless I'm taking them to the range, and the rifle magazines are on a pretty similar schedule to the pistol.

So...are my springs fucked? Undecided

Well they won't go bad right away, but they will lose their spring as they are compressed. Eventually you will start getting failures to feed on the last round, which is very typical of old magazines that have been treated in this way. We had some 1911 mags that we got used do that; we think the guy kept them loaded in his car or at his bedside or something.

I recommend that when you do maintenance on your gun (which you should do every couple months, just take it apart and make sure it's still lubed) you unload the magazines and switch to a second one. If it's an internal magazine or if you don't want to deal with the hassle of switching the magazines every couple months, I recommend loading the mag to one or two less than its capacity. Less compression of the spring means it loses its temper slower, so lasts longer. A 12 round magazine loaded to 11 rounds will last much longer than one loaded to the full 12.

If worse comes to worst, you can replace the magazine or the magazine spring.

It's a slow process. A brand new, high quality magazine should take at least a couple years of being fully compressed before its spring starts to significantly weaken. Be more careful with your older mags though.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
11-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Chas, I can't respond to your PM because your inbox is full.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.