Guns!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 07:47 PM
Guns!
To all the owners herein of a version of the M1 Garand: how do you like shooting it? What prompted you to get one? Would you recommend it to anyone who enjoys target shooting? At what ranges? I presume the clip ejection precludes use of a scope? Preferences between M1 Carbine vs Garand?

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2013, 06:39 AM
RE: Guns!
(06-05-2013 07:47 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  To all the owners herein of a version of the M1 Garand: how do you like shooting it? What prompted you to get one? Would you recommend it to anyone who enjoys target shooting? At what ranges? I presume the clip ejection precludes use of a scope? Preferences between M1 Carbine vs Garand?

Thanks!

The Garand can be scoped, but the scope is forward with long eye-relief. A .30-06 is certainly accurate at 300 yards, more if you are skilled.

The carbine is a totally different animal; it's a completely different class of rifle, really.
The carbine is a lot of fun to shoot - low recoil, large magazine, lightweight rifle, reasonably accurate.

I thought about getting a Garand some years ago, but opted instead for a Springfield Armory M1A (7.62 NATO). I chose it for more modern design, box magazine, modern cartridge, higher accuracy.

I can think of good reasons for getting a Garand:
  • low cost
  • available ammo
  • history
  • accuracy
  • reliability

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-05-2013, 06:44 AM
(04-05-2013 07:15 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  I really like target shooting. I started with bows, then bb guns, then built my own pneumatic guns... I want something more powerful - something that is good for distance shooting, but everything over 495 fps / 5.7 joules muzzle energy requires a PAL. So, I decided, if I'm going to have to get a PAL just to acquire an air rifle, why not also introduce myself to actual firearms while I'm at it? I live in the burbs and don't have a car right now, and am therefore unable to transport myself and a firearm to a range, so this is a future thing. But I'm definitely a future collector. I'm going to build up a collection of bows, throwing knives, air guns, and firearms. That sounds strange to many people, but they're all for the same thing - hitting targets - they just provide different challenges and experiences.

Which part of that vast, frozen wasteland we call Canada do you live in?Consider

07-05-2013, 07:32 AM
Apparently it's perfectly legal in the USA to manufacture your own firearms for personal use. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2013 12:59 PM by Phaedrus.)
(06-05-2013 07:47 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  To all the owners herein of a version of the M1 Garand: how do you like shooting it? What prompted you to get one? Would you recommend it to anyone who enjoys target shooting? At what ranges? I presume the clip ejection precludes use of a scope? Preferences between M1 Carbine vs Garand?

Thanks!

The M1 Garand is a blast to shoot. It's very accurate, if not too worn, in part due to the excellent iron sights. .30-06 has a lot of punch, but recoil is light due to the weight of the gun. The feel of it is just great all around. I would definitely recommend it, especially if you have any historical interest.

You can put a long-eye-relief scope on a Garand, but there is a more traditional arrangement. The M1D sniper model mounts the scope up and to the left of the action. It came too late to see use in WWII, but it was used in Korea. The M1C sniper variant does the same thing but with a much more complicated and fragile mounting system; they're rare and more expensive, so don't bother. You can get an M1D Garand, Service Grade, from CMP for $1500, but you need to purchase your own mount and scope.

CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) is the place to go for Garands, by the way. I highly recommend their Service Grades, we've had very good luck with the four we bought, though you will probably need to order replacement springs. We've only bought one Field grade, and we're having some issues with it; I'd spend the extra and go for Service. Or, if you've got lots of cash lying around, a Special version (original refinished receiver, bolt, and trigger group; new manufacture stock and barrel).

The M1 Carbine isn't really comparable to the Garand. The .30 Carbine round is sort of interesting, I don't know if there's a direct analog. You've got about the same energy as a .41 Magnum, but with the bullet weight of a .357 Magnum, but in an even smaller caliber. Think of it as a cross between a magnum pistol cartridge and an intermediate rifle cartridge.

The Carbine is much lighter and easier to shoot off-hand than the Garand, and has almost no recoil. You can get 15, 25, and 30 round magazines for it, so you can really blast away, like you can with an AR. The downside is the expense of .30 Carbine ammunition and the relative rarity of the guns. CMP got a ton of guns from Italy a few years ago, but they're completely sold out now. They only have Bavarian re-imports now, and they're going for >$1000 each. You can try to buy one second-hand, but a lot of people are hanging onto theirs.

If you want something like an M1 Carbine, and the historical aspect isn't as important to you, you might be better served by getting a Ruger Mini-14 or Mini-30, which is basically the bastard child of the M14 and M1 Carbine, chambered in .223 or 7.62x39.

Not to say the original M1 Carbine isn't a blast, we're taking out our IBM this Sunday. Smile

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
07-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I'd like to pick up one of the CMP Garands just because one day.My dad has a carbine, its fun to shoot for plinking but I'd rather just have a .22. The Para version is pretty cool.

(07-05-2013 06:39 AM)Chas Wrote:  

Thanks!

The Garand can be scoped, but the scope is forward with long eye-relief. A .30-06 is certainly accurate at 300 yards, more if you are skilled.

The carbine is a totally different animal; it's a completely different class of rifle, really.
The carbine is a lot of fun to shoot - low recoil, large magazine, lightweight rifle, reasonably accurate.

I thought about getting a Garand some years ago, but opted instead for a Springfield Armory M1A (7.62 NATO). I chose it for more modern design, box magazine, modern cartridge, higher accuracy.

I can think of good reasons for getting a Garand:
  • low cost
  • available ammo
  • history
  • accuracy
  • reliability
07-05-2013, 01:17 PM
(07-05-2013 07:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Apparently it's perfectly legal in the USA to manufacture your own firearms for personal use. Big Grin

80% baby!

[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
07-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Guns!
Beginning to love this thread.

Second question:
I am not a man of means. The most I've spent on myself in the past 4 years has been my $750 laptop which I bought with an amazon card and made $30 payments on all this time.

If I really just wanted the joy of shooting at targets, would I be better served with a .22? I had been looking at some of the tactical .22s recently. They can be found fairly cheap. But honestly it's the low price of .22LR ammo I find most appealing and it's accessibility for the whole family.

So, has anyone here tried one of those .22s? I think the most interesting I saw was made by Colt and was a pseudo replica of an M4. Any recommendations?

I suppose financially an ideal might just be the old Ruger .22 standard. I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to that. But somehow the the tactical offerings just "look" more fun. But I have been known to be deceived by looks.

EDIT: it should be noted that I live in California where magazines larger than 10 rounds are illegal.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
07-05-2013, 01:53 PM
(07-05-2013 01:40 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Beginning to love this thread.

Second question:
I am not a man of means. The most I've spent on myself in the past 4 years has been my $750 laptop which I bought with an amazon card and made $30 payments on all this time.

If I really just wanted the joy of shooting at targets, would I be better served with a .22? I had been looking at some of the tactical .22s recently. They can be found fairly cheap. But honestly it's the low price of .22LR ammo I find most appealing and it's accessibility for the whole family.

So, has anyone here tried one of those .22s? I think the most interesting I saw was made by Colt and was a pseudo replica of an M4. Any recommendations?

I suppose financially an ideal might just be the old Ruger .22 standard. I suppose I wouldn't be opposed to that. But somehow the the tactical offerings just "look" more fun. But I have been known to be deceived by looks.

EDIT: it should be noted that I live in California where magazines larger than 10 rounds are illegal.

I have a Ruger 10-22, and it's a heck of a good rifle. There is all kind of after-market stuff for it to make it 'tactical'. Not my cup of tea.

It comes in various flavors, blue/wood, composite/stainless. The Ruger website is quite good. I have seen them used for pretty short money at gun shows, although they are not expensive new.

I've shot a fair number of different .22s and can say that the 10-22 is a great rifle.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
08-05-2013, 05:00 PM
22 is the best to learn and shoot for recreation for the reasons you decribed.

And you can legally own magazines larger then ten rounds, they just have to be dissassembled while in state. Many CA residents do this and travel to neighboring free states to shoot their AR's without bullet buttons and small mags.