Guns!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 12:48 PM
RE: Guns!
(10-04-2013 12:45 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 12:42 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I'm not allowed in your thread? Derailment is now an offense? If so, there are a lot of threads were a lot of regular members have to go and a lot of "cleaning" to be done. Existing in "your" thread is enough to warrant being told to "fuck on out..."?

Come on, Bearded Dude, that ain't what's going on. This is a "guns appreciation" thread. It ain't a "let's attack a poster for a previous stance" thread.

I've no issue with such a thread existing or gun enthusiasts being enthused about their guns. Hell, my only "cleaned" comment was in support of Chas. It is the principle of all the BS talk about free speech on the forum and then straight-up deleting everything anyone said that someone didn't like. Either do it all the time or don't do it at all. Being a hypocrite and exercising admin powers on threads you like is bullshit.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 12:50 PM
TBD, chill. This is a thread, with a topic, made for a purpose. You and Logica are coming in and acting like douchebags. You're not even making arguments, just spewing vitriol because of past disagreements. Fuck, how'd you like if I went into your tech thread and took over it calling bullshit and trolling you? Hell, I could, I know more than you in that arena. But I don't, because it's your thread, made for the purpose of helping people with tech issues and such. Not a debate thread. Just like this thread, is not a debate thread.

So if you're still raring for a debate, start a thread and we'll go at it. The cactus is ready. But don't piss on my thread and act like you're a victim.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
10-04-2013, 12:54 PM
What did I say with any douche-bag connotations or even douche-bag subtleties? What argument did I bring up? What debate did I come in here to start? Who did my initial comment support?

Chas "cleaned" this thread by censoring it. And plenty of people have come to derail threads I have started, and I ignore them. (I and I in the science thread) If you don't like it and you don't want to debate and you want to preserve free speech, ignore it and move on. If you want to be a hypocrite, then censor it and when someone asks for the same thing in another thread, tell them no.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Have you never moderated a forum?

Here's how cleaning a thread works:

1. Find the original post where things went off topic
2. Find all off topic posts responding to that post
3. Delete those posts

That's what it means. You delete the off topic shit. All of it. It's not censoring, I'm not stopping you people from saying what you want, I'm just saying don't pollute this thread with it.

And you're polluting it now with this asinine debate which you didn't even have to start. Why did you post in the first place?

Now it needs to be cleaned, again, because you don't understand what cleaning threads means.

It's a thread about guns. If you want to talk guns, do it here because there's nowhere else on this forum where you can without being shouted down by people who don't like them. If you want to talk about something else, talk about it somewhere else. Easy.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
10-04-2013, 12:59 PM
(10-04-2013 12:50 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  TBD, chill. This is a thread, with a topic, made for a purpose. You and Logica are coming in and acting like douchebags. You're not even making arguments, just spewing vitriol because of past disagreements. Fuck, how'd you like if I went into your tech thread and took over it calling bullshit and trolling you? Hell, I could, I know more than you in that arena. But I don't, because it's your thread, made for the purpose of helping people with tech issues and such. Not a debate thread. Just like this thread, is not a debate thread.

So if you're still raring for a debate, start a thread and we'll go at it. The cactus is ready. But don't piss on my thread and act like you're a victim.

Phaedrus, yer fucking yer own thread right now... Tongue

Let's look at more AK!

[Image: AK-47_type_II_Part_DM-ST-89-01131.jpg]

I like the stainless version. I'm thinking, zombie apocalypse, is it still gonna hve the reliability and compatibility?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
10-04-2013, 01:03 PM
(10-04-2013 12:59 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Have you never moderated a forum?

Here's how cleaning a thread works:

1. Find the original post where things went off topic
2. Find all off topic posts responding to that post
3. Delete those posts

That's what it means. You delete the off topic shit. All of it. It's not censoring, I'm not stopping you people from saying what you want, I'm just saying don't pollute this thread with it.

And you're polluting it now with this asinine debate which you didn't even have to start. Why did you post in the first place?

Now it needs to be cleaned, again, because you don't understand what cleaning threads means.

It's a thread about guns. If you want to talk guns, do it here because there's nowhere else on this forum where you can without being shouted down by people who don't like them. If you want to talk about something else, talk about it somewhere else. Easy.

Then I want every thread anyone ever took off topic to be "cleaned."

I take that back, I don't want a damn one of my threads "cleaned" even if taken off topic. It is either "protect free speech" or "censor it."

If I am breaking the rules, then someone show me. If it is the case, then ban me. If I am not breaking a rule, or the rule circumvents free speech, then it does not matter if you call it "cleaning" or "censoring."

—Thomas Henry Huxley
10-04-2013, 01:05 PM
(10-04-2013 12:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Let's look at more AK!

I like the stainless version. I'm thinking, zombie apocalypse, is it still gonna hve the reliability and compatibility?

Personally I think the AK-47 is overrated, particularly the original design. While loose tolerances are great, I figure if you want something in an intermediate round, go for the AR. Much more accurate and just as reliable; only thing that really needs maintenance is the bolt.

But if we're talking a zombie apocalypse I really think you can't do better than a shotgun, either Remington 870 or Mossberg 590. The only real advantage a rifle has over a shotgun is range, and in a zombie apocalypse you probably don't want to be shooting at things more than 50-100 yards away, because that'll just get more zombies coming after you, if you go with the Walking Dead type. Buckshot will do the job out to 50 yards, and slugs will reach out to 200 yards easy if you really need them to. And birdshot can be made into cut shells, which work well as a sort of short-range slug (though they don't feed very well). I think if you're going to imagine that type of scenario, a shotgun is a much more reasonable weapon than just about any rifle.

Although magazine capacity is a consideration. [Image: bth_Thinking.gif]

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
10-04-2013, 01:06 PM
(10-04-2013 01:05 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 12:59 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Let's look at more AK!

Personally I think the AK-47 is overrated, particularly the original design. While loose tolerances are great, I figure if you want something in an intermediate round, go for the AR. Much more accurate and just as reliable; only thing that really needs maintenance is the bolt.

But if we're talking a zombie apocalypse I really think you can't do better than a shotgun, either Remington 870 or Mossberg 590. The only real advantage a rifle has over a shotgun is range, and in a zombie apocalypse you probably don't want to be shooting at things more than 50-100 yards away, because that'll just get more zombies coming after you, if you go with the Walking Dead type. Buckshot will do the job out to 50 yards, and slugs will reach out to 200 yards easy if you really need them to. And birdshot can be made into cut shells, which work well as a sort of short-range slug (though they don't feed very well). I think if you're going to imagine that type of scenario, a shotgun is a much more reasonable weapon than just about any rifle.

The AK was never designed for accuracy, just maximum carnage and reliability. It's cheap and easy to fix/clean.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
(10-04-2013 01:06 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 01:05 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Personally I think the AK-47 is overrated, particularly the original design. While loose tolerances are great, I figure if you want something in an intermediate round, go for the AR. Much more accurate and just as reliable; only thing that really needs maintenance is the bolt.

The AK was never designed for accuracy, just maximum carnage and reliability. It's cheap and easy to fix/clean.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Reliability. Thumbsup

Point and click. I can shoot a zombie in the head. My sights are accurate, even if my gun's isn't.

Although the AR... my buddy had an AR-15... Currently on display in the CPD as the most horrific assault weapon ever confiscated. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 01:12 PM
That's true to an extant, and that's why I think it's overrated. The AK-47 makes sense in a battlefield situation when maximum volume of fire for suppression is needed, or if you want to spray-and-pray at point blank range. But that advantage disappears when you remove the select fire capability and just make a semi-auto. Then it's just a less accurate gun than the AR-15 that you can go without cleaning for longer, which for a civilian isn't that great a deal.

On the other hand, for a reliable gun the AK is better for the price than the AR-15. Most ARs under $800 (pre-panic prices) are shit; some even use airsoft parts for the accessories! Plus there's companies that don't properly stake the gas key, which I think should be prosecutable since it could conceivably cause the receiver to blow up. Not a concern on most ARs north of $800 though. But then you could get fairly decent AKs for around $500. So I guess it has that going for it.

I'm a Garand action man myself though.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post