Guns!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2013, 08:47 AM
RE: Guns!
(11-04-2013 08:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  This thread had a stated purpose. This was not censorship, the thread was split.

If you can't use common sense, maybe you should not be an administrator.

Deleting posts and splitting others out of a thread all of which were of opposing views is censorship.

It doesn't matter what the thread was intended for it's still censorship.

You would be among the first to complain if A fundie created a thread and stated it was for pro bible arguments only. What makes you think this should get any preferential treatment.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
11-04-2013, 08:50 AM
(11-04-2013 08:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  No posts were intentionally deleted.

I split the thread, but I made a mistake and the responses to the first OT response got deleted.
Sorry about that, but the thread splitting routine is poorly designed.

Quite simply, the threads never even needed to be split. If people did not want to hear Logica in this thread, they merely needed to ignore him. And even better still, would have been to reply in one of the other threads instead of this one. No mess, no fuss, and no loss of anyone's posts, comments, and no need to "clean" anything.

But Phaedrus did not ask for a split thread and your first post never said anything about splitting it, just "cleaning" it.

I think it did need to be split.

But you are correct that I should have said that I had split it. My bad.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
(11-04-2013 08:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:46 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Quite simply, the threads never even needed to be split. If people did not want to hear Logica in this thread, they merely needed to ignore him. And even better still, would have been to reply in one of the other threads instead of this one. No mess, no fuss, and no loss of anyone's posts, comments, and no need to "clean" anything.

But Phaedrus did not ask for a split thread and your first post never said anything about splitting it, just "cleaning" it.

I think it did need to be split.

But you are correct that I should have said that I had split it. My bad.

I have no issue with something incorrect being done, as long as the person who messes up can admit it. Thank you for publicly saying that. We may not agree on the other points, but I am happy to see we agree on at least one.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-04-2013, 08:56 AM
(11-04-2013 08:47 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  This thread had a stated purpose. This was not censorship, the thread was split.

If you can't use common sense, maybe you should not be an administrator.

Deleting posts and splitting others out of a thread all of which were of opposing views is censorship.

You would be among the first to complain if A fundie created a thread and stated it was for pro bible arguments only. What makes you think this should get any preferential treatment.

If a fundie decided to make a thread for discussion of biblical topics with other fundies, that's fine. I'd leave them alone, maybe even ask them some questions if I was curious. I wouldn't go and start debating them there. I'd make a thread about their god being a made up piece of shit, and invite them to it. What they do in a thread intended for their use is up to them.

It's basic netiquette. Don't be an asshole by going into a thread and starting fights that don't have to do with the topic.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
11-04-2013, 08:59 AM
(11-04-2013 08:56 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:47 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Deleting posts and splitting others out of a thread all of which were of opposing views is censorship.

If a fundie decided to make a thread for discussion of biblical topics with other fundies, that's fine. I'd leave them alone, maybe even ask them some questions if I was curious. I wouldn't go and start debating them there. I'd make a thread about their god being a made up piece of shit, and invite them to it. What they do in a thread intended for their use is up to them.

It's basic netiquette. Don't be an asshole by going into a thread and starting fights that don't have to do with the topic.

At what point did I ever say I agreed with Logica coming in here to disrupt this thread? My first post was quite the opposite in fact. But the assumption was made that I too came here to slander and derail, and you were quick to want us removed. Logica did indeed cross a netiquette boundary as you say, but that is irrelvant because Logica (and I) did nothing wrong. You got your feelings hurt and wanted the hurtful posts removed. This is the internet and these are real people who don't agree with everything you say. Get used to that.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-04-2013, 09:00 AM
(11-04-2013 08:56 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  If a fundie decided to make a thread for discussion of biblical topics with other fundies, that's fine. I'd leave them alone, maybe even ask them some questions if I was curious. I wouldn't go and start debating them there. I'd make a thread about their god being a made up piece of shit, and invite them to it. What they do in a thread intended for their use is up to them.

And if that fundie created a thread for pro bible arguments only, then demanded that anything counter to that should be split out. It wouldn't happen. Thread derails are not against the rules. Making a thread on a topic doesn't mean only posts pro that topic are allowed in it.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
11-04-2013, 09:09 AM
(11-04-2013 09:00 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:56 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  If a fundie decided to make a thread for discussion of biblical topics with other fundies, that's fine. I'd leave them alone, maybe even ask them some questions if I was curious. I wouldn't go and start debating them there. I'd make a thread about their god being a made up piece of shit, and invite them to it. What they do in a thread intended for their use is up to them.

And if that fundie created a thread for pro bible arguments only, then demanded that anything counter to that should be split out. It wouldn't happen. Thread derails are not against the rules. Making a thread on a topic doesn't mean only posts pro that topic are allowed in it.

There's a difference between pro-topic and on-topic. A debate about gun control can not be moderated to have pro-gun control posts removed. A thread about guns as a hobby *can* have posts about gun control, pro- and anti- alike, removed. Do you grok the difference?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
(11-04-2013 09:09 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 09:00 AM)FSM_scot Wrote:  And if that fundie created a thread for pro bible arguments only, then demanded that anything counter to that should be split out. It wouldn't happen. Thread derails are not against the rules. Making a thread on a topic doesn't mean only posts pro that topic are allowed in it.

There's a difference between pro-topic and on-topic. A debate about gun control can not be moderated to have pro-gun control posts removed. A thread about guns as a hobby *can* have posts about gun control, pro- and anti- alike, removed. Do you grok the difference?

Why then do you keep coming back to your own pro-gun thread to post stuff that is off-topic? Should you not be going somewhere else there Mr. High-and-mighty?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
11-04-2013, 09:13 AM
(11-04-2013 08:59 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  

At what point did I ever say I agreed with Logica coming in here to disrupt this thread? My first post was quite the opposite in fact. But the assumption was made that I too came here to slander and derail, and you were quick to want us removed. Logica did indeed cross a netiquette boundary as you say, but that is irrelvant because Logica (and I) did nothing wrong. You got your feelings hurt and wanted the hurtful posts removed. This is the internet and these are real people who don't agree with everything you say. Get used to that.

I don't give a fuck what his opinion was, Freud. [Image: smiley-rolleyes007.gif]

MY posts were removed, YOUR posts were removed, AND his posts were removed. Pro and anti alike. Because it was off topic. I'm perfectly happy to have the debate if you are and my pwecious feelings are not hurt by people disagreeing. But it does piss me off when people troll a thread and post pointless garbage that has nothing to do with it. This entire thing could have been resolved yesterday, if you made a thread expressing your concerns about moderation policy. But you acted like a child and refused to do so, and so dragged this bullshit out twice as long as it needed to be.

I notice you're very quick to demand apologies from others, but refuse to do so yourself. If you'll allow me some psychoanalysis as well, I think you're unwilling to admit to fault or mistake yourself as you externalize all complaints onto others via projection.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
11-04-2013, 09:16 AM
(11-04-2013 09:13 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(11-04-2013 08:59 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  At what point did I ever say I agreed with Logica coming in here to disrupt this thread? My first post was quite the opposite in fact. But the assumption was made that I too came here to slander and derail, and you were quick to want us removed. Logica did indeed cross a netiquette boundary as you say, but that is irrelvant because Logica (and I) did nothing wrong. You got your feelings hurt and wanted the hurtful posts removed. This is the internet and these are real people who don't agree with everything you say. Get used to that.

I don't give a fuck what his opinion was, Freud. [Image: smiley-rolleyes007.gif]

MY posts were removed, YOUR posts were removed, AND his posts were removed. Pro and anti alike. Because it was off topic. I'm perfectly happy to have the debate if you are and my pwecious feelings are not hurt by people disagreeing. But it does piss me off when people troll a thread and post pointless garbage that has nothing to do with it. This entire thing could have been resolved yesterday, if you made a thread expressing your concerns about moderation policy. But you acted like a child and refused to do so, and so dragged this bullshit out twice as long as it needed to be.

I'm glad you admit that the posts were just straight-up removed from the thread. You are still aware that you and every post you make in your own thread about guns, is off-topic, right? You are indeed correct in that this could have all been resolved yesterday, if you had just been mature enough to ignore Logica and keep on posting in the thread like you were previously.

—Thomas Henry Huxley