Gunshot & stabbing victims to be held between life & death

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2014, 07:43 PM
Gunshot & stabbing victims to be held between life & death
I know the doctors in Pittsburgh have been experimenting with cooling the body the past few years with brain injuries and cardiac arrest patients, now they are moving into gunshot and stab victims.

from the article:

Doctors will try to save the lives of 10 patients with knife or gunshot wounds by placing them in suspended animation, buying time to fix their injuries

NEITHER dead or alive, knife-wound or gunshot victims will be cooled down and placed in suspended animation later this month, as a groundbreaking emergency technique is tested out for the first time.

Surgeons are now on call at the UPMC Presbyterian Hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to perform the operation, which will buy doctors time to fix injuries that would otherwise be lethal.

"We are suspending life, but we don't like to call it suspended animation because it sounds like science fiction," says Samuel Tisherman, a surgeon at the hospital, who is leading the trial. "So we call it emergency preservation and resuscitation."

The technique involves replacing all of a patient's blood with a cold saline solution, which rapidly cools the body and stops almost all cellular activity. "If a patient comes to us two hours after dying you can't bring them back to life. But if they're dying and you suspend them, you have a chance to bring them back after their structural problems have been fixed," says surgeon Peter Rhee at the University of Arizona in Tucson, who helped develop the technique.

here's the source article

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-03-2014, 11:12 PM
RE: Gunshot & stabbing victims to be held between life & death
No that sounds incredibly interesting.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Sounds like a good thing. The more lives that can be saved, the better. I sense that there will be people who've got an issue with this breakthrough.

'It's not a lie, if you believe it.' - George Costanza
28-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Shocking Fuck me. Replacing all the blood. Holy shit people come out with some hectic shit these days... Seems pretty awesome stuff though. But now when we want someone to stay dead we're gonna have to really go to town....

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
28-03-2014, 01:12 AM
Just how fast can you replace all of someone's blood? Then putting it back again? Do you freeze their blood elsewhere for safe keeping or just replace it later?

I could research more, but I'm not going to....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-03-2014, 01:41 AM
According to the article the criteria for the process requires that the chest be open, with a loss of 50% of blood. Draining the blood and replacing it is only 15 minutes. In cases like that a blood transfusion is almost always necessary so it may be that the blood drained is only refrigated, to be used in the process to revive the patients.

It sounds ground breaking.

The requirement of evidence to back your claim does not disappear because it hurts your feelings, reality does not care about your feefees.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2014, 02:57 AM
Well, we do have some of the best hospitals in the United States, in addition to being the home of Carnegie Melon University. So if you want to try something like this in practice in real-world conditions, I can't think of a better place to try it than here in Pittsburgh.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]