H. P. Lovecraft

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 10:48 AM
H. P. Lovecraft
Since we already have a thread celebrating his earlier counterpart (Poe), I thought I'd start up a thread to show a little love to the other great master of American horror: H. P. Lovecraft.

For those of you who don't know, I'm a massive Lovecraft geek (to the point of using a certain picture of him as my avatar). I've read pretty much everything he's ever written. However, most people don't know much about him, so allow me to explain.

Lovecraft was an early-1900s horror writer who published most of his stories around 1920. During his lifetime, he didn't get much recognition, but since then he has become recognized as one of the most influential writers of American horror in history. The only person who might be able to claim more influence than him, in fact, is Edgar Allen Poe.

He's most often remembered for the invention of the Cthulhu mythos, but the most important part of that creation was the introduction of the cosmic horror story to horror literature. Lovecraft essentially invented a new type of horror that had never been seen before, and to this day he is regarded as one of its great masters.

Of course, the most famous of his stories is "The Call Of Cthulhu", but my personal favorites are "The Dunwich Horror" and "The Music of Erich Zann".

You can find most of his stories online here.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
30-03-2012, 10:55 AM
RE: H. P. Lovecraft
Glad to meet another Lovecraft fan.

I've read most of his stuff.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
Find all posts by this user
30-03-2012, 10:59 AM
My favorite poets are musicians.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
30-03-2012, 11:01 AM
In fact, my two favorite authors are Lovecraft and Pratchett... so, good choices Smile

30-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I love Lovecraft stories.

One of my favorites would be, "The Outsider"
30-03-2012, 02:45 PM
(30-03-2012 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In fact, my two favorite authors are Lovecraft and Pratchett... so, good choices Smile
You are my favorite person on this forum now

BEST BROS

- Terry Pratchett
30-03-2012, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 30-03-2012 03:12 PM by kingschosen.)
(30-03-2012 02:45 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(30-03-2012 11:01 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  In fact, my two favorite authors are Lovecraft and Pratchett... so, good choices Smile
You are my favorite person on this forum now

BEST BROS
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFz3pcaUIPvyFExIdmgka...mp;amp;t=1]

On a side note, my favorite for Lovecraft are At the Mountains of Madness and Rats in the Attic.

My favorite for Pratchett are Interesting Times and Soul Music.

30-03-2012, 03:15 PM
Already posted my favorite Lovecraft choices (though I think you meant "The Rats In The Walls"). As for Pratchett, I prefer Night Watch and The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents.

- Terry Pratchett
30-03-2012, 03:18 PM
(30-03-2012 03:15 PM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Already posted my favorite Lovecraft choices (though I think you meant "The Rats In The Walls"). As for Pratchett, I prefer Night Watch and The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

I was too busy looking for a fist bump pic.

I like the Ankh-Morpork Watch, but I prefer Rincewind. I guess part of that is because I was introduced to Pratchett via the PSX games.

31-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Haaa Lovecraft ! I studied him at the university and I really loved him ! I'm also a roleplayer so I play at the Cthulhu's mythos with my RPG club !

Actualy, at mu university one of my teacher was american and already wrote two books about him, the first about how much racist he was and the second about his life (yes, usually it's the other way round...) and I think he made an entire course on "Lovecraft, a gay writer" x) !

« Etre contesté, c’est être constaté. »
To be contested, is to be noticed