HARD ROCK AND METAL GUITAR PLAYERS?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-07-2016, 12:29 AM
HARD ROCK AND METAL GUITAR PLAYERS?
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum, to any forum, really. I was relieved to see headbangers, now I'm wondering about guitar players. I started playing hard rock and metal in about 1978, did the usual, garage bands here and there but never anything of any real substance. After a life all over the world, I returned to Texas when I retired, only to find most of my old bandmates had returned too...now we get together like we used to, jamming to the same songs (and some new ones), slamming drinks (although not nearly as many) and even a few mind altering substances, now that we're all retired and don't have responsibilities and mandatory drug tests! Smile

We partied hard back in the day, I think we all knew if we headed for the sunset strip back then, we'd have all self destructed and joined the 27 club if we made it that long!

Today I have a man cave full of guitars and amps and e-drums and keyboards. My guitar collection is mostly Gibson, as I'm a big SG/LP fan. I have a total of 63 guitars. I have a very understanding wife.

If you play, tell me about yourself, your preferred equipment, etc...you know music-speak.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2016, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 01:56 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
RE: HARD ROCK AND METAL GUITAR PLAYERS?
Nowadays I play hard rock and blues inflected with jazz, a little straight-ahead jazz, and write the odd classical piece.

Back in the day, my rock/metal rig was an oddball: 73 Les Paul DeLuxe, a few pedals, and a 71 Fender Bassman into a KMD 4x10 loaded with Celestions. It helped that one of the pedals was a Butler Tube Driver, which is hands-down the best distortion pedal for my money. I also played blues on this setup -- it was pretty versatile. I was in SoCal when the hair-metal explosion happened, but I was assed-out -- to me metal was Sabbath and Judas Priest, though my first few bands covered Rush, Scrops, and AC/DC too. But I'd show up at an audition in denim toting a Les Paul rather than a pink Charvel -- and no eye-liner! -- and out the door I went. Image was everything. No mascara or Marshall stack? Suck it.

[Image: 2qvrtht.jpg]

Here's what that rig sounded like playing metal:

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/going-tharn

Here's the same rig playing some funky rock:

https://soundcloud.com/thumpalumpacus/lookin-for-five-0

Nowadays, playing more blues and straight rock, I've got an Ibanez AS93 (ES-335 copy), an 04 Faded SG, and a Yamaha acoustic. Ampwise, just an Epi Valve Jr for now, with an Egnater Tweaker 40 in the pipeline. I built the speaker cab myself, solid pine, plywood baffle, and a salvaged Peavey speaker.

No recordings from this setup, but here's the pics --

[Image: 2a5b15h.jpg]

[Image: 14ae7wn.jpg]

[Image: 2chnpmc.jpg]

[Image: 4ki2yf.jpg]

Sitting out on my porch in the middle of nowhere at three AM playing the Yamaha as I type. Smile
30-07-2016, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 02:44 AM by The Dark One.)
Very cool Thumpy...man after my own heart with the SG. I'm perusing my hard drive looking for photos...I'm bad about not taking pictures.
Meanwhile, I hear you loud and clear...I lived and breathed bands like Sabbath and Purple and Zeppelin and Montrose and Rainbow...and then into Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, etc. I didn't dislike all hair bands on principle, but there were an awful lot that survived on their looks instead of their musicianship. For awhile, anyway.

[Image: james rockin.jpg]

Here's a picture of my old friend James standing in my man cave.

One of the 4 half stacks stuffed in the cave

One of my SG's, 65 I think

I'm not normally a big strat fan, but here's a Jackson I upgraded, all the hardware/pots/tuners/pickups/etc. Plays so good I forget it's not a Gibson, lol

[Image: 20160318_151544.jpg]

I'll have to log in on a different computer, I know I have more pics.

I have amps everywhere, but the half stacks are that guitar research, a line 6 spider IV with B-52 cab, a Mesa, and a Marshall. I like tube amps for sound quality, but honestly I've gotten so lazy I tend to hook into the Line 6 or one of my Peavey VyPyr 3's, just so I can avoid stomp boxes altogether. A lot of the solid state stuff is getting more respectable, or at least I tell myself that to avoid dragging out pedals and 9volts or power supplies and patch cords, lol.

I like blues as well, and although I don't play classical, I took 4 semesters of classical guitar back in college to improve my shredding. I really like a lot of the bluesier hard rock and metal, and when the guitar player is classically trained it can really be a religious experience, lol.

I used to be the only captain at Continental that carried a traveler guitar, pigtail amp and Boss mt2 pedal around in the cockpit. Life would have been so much easier if things like the Line 6 pocket pod had existed back then!

I hope these pics show up..if not you'll have to show me how to post them here. I think I did it right...we'll see.

**looks like 2 made it and 2 didn't. No idea. Walk me through it if you don't mind/get a chance, will you?**
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
30-07-2016, 02:29 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 02:42 AM by Mathilda.)
Used to be a metal guitarist when I was young. I'd play for hours every day for many years, but I never really left the bedroom. I decided to sort my life out instead of hiding away. And then I discovered that classical music could be even more intense.

Now guitars really bore me. I can't bring myself to sell them though. They're currently stored in another country.

I'm really getting into the mandolin though. I bought one 20 years ago and never really did much with it. But I've recently fallen in love with the sound and am playing most evenings now. I always intended to go back to playing the acoustic guitar and learn finger picking or weird jazz chords or something.

I've fallen in love with natural sounding instruments. The more natural the better. It's what I love about the violin, just a small wooden box coming alive with vibrating strings. I wish I could play it though. I always preferred warm valve overdrive when I played the guitar.

But I think I've figured out the kind of band I'd love to join. It would have just natural folk instruments, but it would play revolutionary protest songs inspiring people power. I've started listening to Rage against the Machine again and this time it really clicks with me, it never did before. Imagine Rage against the Machine, Sex pistols, Four non Blondes, Bob Dylan and The Corries but just on folk instruments that could be played during a protest.

I'll be going back to Germany this month for a holiday though and bought a replacement stereo jack cable for my amp's dual footswitch so I'll be needing to check that it works. It's been many years since I switched my amps on. I don't normally have anywhere that I can play them. I still get a buzz of excitement when walking into a guitar shop though.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
30-07-2016, 02:51 AM
Sounds like maybe you should have been in San Francisco in 1968 or so, Mathilda! Smile

I know what you mean, about certain instruments though. I'm still a metalhead, half a century later, but when nobody is around to catch me (lol) I have a Sitar a good friend gave me for my birthday back in the early 90's. It was a decoration, for probably a decade, even though it's a quality instrument. Then one day I was at Sam Ash and there was a "How to play the Sitar" book on sale. I bought it and it has become one of my guilty pleasures in the years since.

The geek in me insists I also share the fact that I have not one, but TWO Theremin, as well. Smile
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
30-07-2016, 03:16 AM
Oh I'd love a Theremin!

I bought some classical music recently by Messiaen, and it features an Ondes Martenot which is very similar in sound to the Theremin but played on a keyboard. I had never heard of that instrument before. It also uses vacuum tubes.

[Image: 200px-Ondes_martenot.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
30-07-2016, 03:20 AM
(30-07-2016 02:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's been many years since I switched my amps on. I don't normally have anywhere that I can play them.

Don't like being a Debbie Downer, but amps are like cars, if you don't turn them over every so often, they can go to shit.

What's the amp?
30-07-2016, 03:47 AM
(30-07-2016 03:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(30-07-2016 02:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  It's been many years since I switched my amps on. I don't normally have anywhere that I can play them.

Don't like being a Debbie Downer, but amps are like cars, if you don't turn them over every so often, they can go to shit.

What's the amp?

Marshall JCM900 combo. It's all valve so it's a concern of mine as well. I bought it new back in the 90's and have since changed the pre-amp valves but not the power amp valves. I also have a small and very old practice amp which had new valves put in when I bought it in 2002.

And I suppose I'd better check that my 100 watt PA system works. That would be useful for the mandolin, although I am not bringing the mandolin with me on holiday.

I'm also a little cautious about getting electrocuted. It happened to me once with another amp.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
30-07-2016, 04:01 AM (This post was last modified: 30-07-2016 04:13 AM by The Dark One.)
Quote:Ondes Martenot

I've been reading upon that crazy instrument...I want one! The examples I saw were gorgeous, as well...almost a "steam punk" look to them. Fascinating!

If you decide to purchase a theremin, a word of advice. The first one I purchased is a standard type, with both vertical and horizontal antennas, called a Moog Etherwave. It is EXCELLENT.

The second I thought was an improvement, as it uses optical sensors. I can't remember the brand without going and getting it, it's like Frostbite...Frostbend...soomething like that. Regardless, STAY AWAY from the optical theremin. I haven't found one yet that is worth anything.

I like them because they really make you feel a part of the music. You interact with nothing but motion, and the more graceful and flowing your motion, the more graceful and flowing your music. I like that connection.
30-07-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:I'm also a little cautious about getting electrocuted. It happened to me once with another amp.

The most common problem I've had with long term stored amps is critters. Watch for tell tale signs that field mice or rats or even ants or spiders have been inside. Little bastards can really cause some havoc!