HAVOC

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-11-2014, 11:54 PM
HAVOC
I just discovered HAVOC and it's too cool not to share.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Paleophyte's post
04-11-2014, 12:18 AM
RE: HAVOC
(03-11-2014 11:54 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  I just discovered HAVOC and it's too cool not to share.

I always thought Venus was one of the more interesting planets.
Because of the very high temperatures, the crushing pressure, and the corrosive atmosphere, previous probes didn't last very long.
I hope this mission fares better.
Very cool.
04-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Let's send a blimp to Venus! Yes, that's pretty cool.
Err.. actual people going? I'm not sure about that.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
04-11-2014, 01:33 PM
(04-11-2014 08:20 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Let's send a blimp to Venus! Yes, that's pretty cool.
Err.. actual people going? I'm not sure about that.
It actually works out pretty well (in theory Laughat ).
  • The Earth-Venus transit time is much shorter than the Earth-Mars transit time so total rad exposure for the crew becomes much more tolerable.
  • Similarly, Venus' atmosphere helps protect against cosmic rays.
  • At HAVOC's proposed cruising altitude the atmospheric pressure is the same as Earth sea level.
  • Gravity is very slightly lower but won't cause problems with bone degeneration.
  • Power from solar cells increases at Venus rather than falling off.
My biggest concern would be the gasbag failing to deploy properly. If it fails later you have a handy escape rocket but failure during atmospheric insertion could be trickier to deal with.
04-11-2014, 02:36 PM
What about the sufuric acid rain in the clouds?
Is it designed to withstand that, or will the high altitude make it a non-factor?
04-11-2014, 10:26 PM
(04-11-2014 02:36 PM)pablo Wrote:  What about the sufuric acid rain in the clouds?
Is it designed to withstand that, or will the high altitude make it a non-factor?

I'm guessing that they've designed it to withstand sulfuric acid and a variety of other unpleasantness. Sulfuric isn't too bad. It's a strong acid but the sulfate anion isn't particularly reactive. Nitric or hydrofluoric would be much worse.
05-11-2014, 01:34 AM
You haven't been around in a long time, Paleophyte. I'm glad to see that you're back. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]