HB 1523 takes effect tomorrow in Mississippi. Thank ya Jesus! Thank ya lawd!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2017, 12:46 PM
Looks like the Christianist Taliban finally won in their battle to regress Mississippi even further back to the Victorian era and to make the state a safe haven for Jesus-approved hate and discrimination. The Religion of Love strikes again.

If you're not familiar with this horrifying (yet totally unsurprising) bit of legislation, here's an overview with a link to the actual bill.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mississipp...ake-effect
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like CosmoMcKinley's post
05-10-2017, 01:06 PM
That's fucked up to say it shortly and plainly.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
05-10-2017, 01:16 PM
RE: HB 1523 takes effect tomorrow in Mississippi. Thank ya Jesus! Thank ya lawd!
(05-10-2017 01:06 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  That's fucked up to say it shortly and plainly.

Yep. They might as well hang signs that say "Faggot, do not let the sun set on you in this state."
05-10-2017, 01:54 PM
RE: HB 1523 takes effect tomorrow in Mississippi. Thank ya Jesus! Thank ya lawd!
Crosses Mississippi off my list of places to one day visit.

That’s it for the whole south including Disney World.

Although Texas might make it back on my list...

Meh time will tell.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-10-2017, 02:06 PM
So, how long until about 15 other states (including my own) craft similar legislation?
05-10-2017, 02:12 PM
(05-10-2017 02:06 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  So, how long until about 15 other states (including my own) craft similar legislation?

When it comes to Trumpmerica, well, do you have a second hand on your watch? Didn't-come-from-monkey see, didn't-come-from-monkey do.
05-10-2017, 04:28 PM
(05-10-2017 12:46 PM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  Looks like the Christianist Taliban finally won in their battle to regress Mississippi even further back to the Victorian era and to make the state a safe haven for Jesus-approved hate and discrimination. The Religion of Love strikes again.

If you're not familiar with this horrifying (yet totally unsurprising) bit of legislation, here's an overview with a link to the actual bill.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mississipp...ake-effect

"If you, an organization, or a corporation holds one of those beliefs (remember, after Hobby Lobby, corporations have religious beliefs), ..."

Two years ago they gutted one of the local malls a month before Christmas, and when they rebuilt it, the anchor store turned out to be Hobby Lobby -- which we never had here, and which I had never heard of until they made national news over the healthcare thing. I've never been able to see what it's like, because pretty much the only time I have to go to the mall is on Sundays, and they're closed on Sundays. Facepalm

I don't see how this Mississippi law can fail to attract Supreme Court scrutiny. It flies in the face of at least a dozen pieces of federal civil rights legislation stretching over the past 50 years.

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
05-10-2017, 04:30 PM
(05-10-2017 01:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Crosses Mississippi off my list of places to one day visit.
The mind boggles that you had it on your list to begin with. Blink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
05-10-2017, 04:42 PM
"God shat upon the earth and He called it -- Mississippi." -- Edward Abbey

Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like Grasshopper's post
05-10-2017, 04:44 PM
(05-10-2017 04:30 PM)Dr H Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 01:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Crosses Mississippi off my list of places to one day visit.
The mind boggles that you had it on your list to begin with. Blink

I didn't decide on which places became states...

Good grief. Tongue

I started with a list of all the states and checked off the ones I have actually visited, then I began crossing off states that I didn't want to see...

Mostly those middle states that are miles and miles of flat nothingness.

However, compared to some of those southern states, those miles of nothingness is looking far more appealing.

To be honest, I did forget about Louisiana (but really only because of New Orleans)...I'm pretty sure that's still on my list. Mississippi however is now one of those states that if I'd have to fly there to get somewhere else, I wouldn't go.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces