HB 1523 takes effect tomorrow in Mississippi. Thank ya Jesus! Thank ya lawd!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-10-2017, 05:17 PM
RE: HB 1523 takes effect tomorrow in Mississippi. Thank ya Jesus! Thank ya lawd!
(05-10-2017 04:28 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I don't see how this Mississippi law can fail to attract Supreme Court scrutiny. It flies in the face of at least a dozen pieces of federal civil rights legislation stretching over the past 50 years.

I'm sure it will face SCOTUS scrutiny. However, by the time it gets in front of them the Supreme Court will probably be so far to the right that it'll make Westboro Baptist look like the last bastion of compassion and progress. By then, other regressive states will have followed Mississippi's example and enacted similar laws.

Mid-term election hysteria is right around the corner, and so far all we've seen is the warm-up.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2017, 05:48 PM
RE: HB 1523 takes effect tomorrow in Mississippi. Thank ya Jesus! Thank ya lawd!
[Image: The_Scarlet_Letter_1926_film.jpg]

You know what’s funny (not that there is anything actually funny about this legislation)? Undoubtedly the very law makers and religious leaders who crafted and preach this abomination will be in the news at some point in the near future after they get caught fornicating and sodomizing. It always happens.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
06-10-2017, 12:28 AM
Ugh... how can things be going so backwards? God damn insecure little pricks.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2017, 10:38 AM
(06-10-2017 12:28 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Ugh... how can things be going so backwards? God damn insecure little pricks.

All things are possible through Jesus! Of course it does help when Jesus is aided and abetted by callous vote-mongering politicians. When the Word fails to convince, the Sword certainly does help to spread the message of God's Love.
[+] 1 user Likes CosmoMcKinley's post
06-10-2017, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2017 11:02 AM by BikerDude.)
(05-10-2017 01:54 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Crosses Mississippi off my list of places to one day visit.

That’s it for the whole south including Disney World.

Although Texas might make it back on my list...

Meh time will tell.

It was on your list?

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
06-10-2017, 11:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2017 11:11 AM by BikerDude.)
(05-10-2017 05:17 PM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  
(05-10-2017 04:28 PM)Dr H Wrote:  I don't see how this Mississippi law can fail to attract Supreme Court scrutiny. It flies in the face of at least a dozen pieces of federal civil rights legislation stretching over the past 50 years.

I'm sure it will face SCOTUS scrutiny. However, by the time it gets in front of them the Supreme Court will probably be so far to the right that it'll make Westboro Baptist look like the last bastion of compassion and progress. By then, other regressive states will have followed Mississippi's example and enacted similar laws.

Mid-term election hysteria is right around the corner, and so far all we've seen is the warm-up.

It can't hold up in the supreme court given the decision on same sex marriage.
It will have to be found to be unconstitutional.
The two decisions run contrary to each other. One or the other has to go.
And the fact is that they (the religious twats) know it.
What it will do is further cement a determination to change the constitution.
That's the end game all along anyway.
The next couple of elections are the most important in my lifetime.
If things continue to swing to the right we will end up in a very different country than today.
It will happen with a change to the constitution.

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
06-10-2017, 11:25 AM
(06-10-2017 11:01 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  It can't hold up in the supreme court given the decision on same sex marriage.

Note carefully though that the law does not ban same sex marriage any more than any state has a law that outright bans abortion. What they're deploying is the same strategy they used so successfully against abortion, making the service ridiculously difficult to obtain. In this case, the myriad services associated with weddings will become more and more difficult to obtain. The message is "have your gay wedding Twinkletoes, but just try to get a cake or a photographer! Bahahahaha!"

Luckily this has been stalled again, for the moment. However, if (when) it does finally pass and become the law of the Land that Time Forgot, remember that this is just the tip of the iceberg. For example, not all bakeries are run by Jesus-addled sociopaths. However, bakeries that do supply their products without prejudice might just find themselves generating many more health-code violations than their less-progressive competitors much like clinics that provide abortion services are held to a ridiculously higher standard than their counterparts.
06-10-2017, 07:10 PM
(05-10-2017 04:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I didn't decide on which places became states...

Good grief. Tongue

Wait . . . moderators are not omnipotent? Gasp

Quote:I started with a list of all the states and checked off the ones I have actually visited, then I began crossing off states that I didn't want to see...

Mostly those middle states that are miles and miles of flat nothingness.
Actually there's a lot of pretty stuff in some of that flat "nothingness".
Although if you like trees, I really can't recommend Nebraska.
OTOH, if you really like corn, it might well be an excess of ecstasy.

Quote:Mississippi however is now one of those states that if I'd have to fly there to get somewhere else, I wouldn't go.
Yeah, I can agree with that choice. Wink

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
06-10-2017, 07:16 PM
(05-10-2017 05:17 PM)CosmoMcKinley Wrote:  I'm sure it will face SCOTUS scrutiny. However, by the time it gets in front of them the Supreme Court will probably be so far to the right that it'll make Westboro Baptist look like the last bastion of compassion and progress. By then, other regressive states will have followed Mississippi's example and enacted similar laws.

I'm a little less worried about the SC swinging to extremes than are some people. Historically, whether liberal or conservative, once Justices fully realize the bounds of their position, most seem to tend to go more with conscience and less with political leanings.

Doesn't mean that a particularly horrendous decision can't slip through now and then, but overall the keel seems to be pretty even, in a big picture sense.

--
Dr H

06-10-2017, 07:20 PM
(06-10-2017 11:01 AM)BikerDude Wrote:  It will happen with a change to the constitution.

Easier said than done, by a long-shot.
You need 75% of the states to ratify any amendment.

--
Dr H