HB2454 proposes entrance of intelligent design into higher education curriculum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
RE: HB2454 proposes entrance of intelligent design into higher education curriculum
My reaction to this was the same as masterrotweilers avatar.
I have a creationist teacher at my school, and if he had walked into class one day, opened his bible and said he was going to be teaching us creation science I would have set fire to the place.

I'm telling you guys the civil war is coming, and when atheists start turning up dead, I'll be one of the people out there firebombing churches.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-04-2011, 09:33 PM
RE: HB2454 proposes entrance of intelligent design into higher education curriculum
You know, after being opposed to the whole "teaching creation myth with science" bullshi for so long I actually kind of want it to have happened my sophomore year while I was taking biology, hell I'd take biology next year if it happened.

Do you know how quickly something like that would fail? If I were in the class and the teacher opened the bible, FIRST thing I'd ask him is "why are you opening a fictional book in a SCIENCE class?" And the subject would no longer be about creationism, and hell I'd probably end up debating with my teacher! That'd be so fucking awesome! I think the amount of de-converts due to assholes like me would skyrocket just because of the number of students that would watch their science teachers fail at defending ID.

But really what would they teach? "Umm... so yeah, the Earth was made in seven days, well really six days because Ketola rested on the seventh day." And that would be the lesson, what would the test be? "How many lights did God make?" "What came first, the Ocean or the Land?"
05-04-2011, 05:40 AM
That's not how it works, though. These people are very careful and they don't open the bible and start teaching from it. There is an an entire ID curriculum out there that is very carefully written so as not to say "God" or "Jesus". Of course that is exactly what it is but they dress it up to avoid the wrath of the courts. When under actual scrutiny, the curriculum does not hold up and has been shot down by the courts several times already. Hopefully, that happens in TN too.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
05-04-2011, 07:40 AM
(05-04-2011 05:40 AM)BnW Wrote:  That's not how it works, though. These people are very careful and they don't open the bible and start teaching from it. There is an an entire ID curriculum out there that is very carefully written so as not to say "God" or "Jesus". Of course that is exactly what it is but they dress it up to avoid the wrath of the courts. When under actual scrutiny, the curriculum does not hold up and has been shot down by the courts several times already. Hopefully, that happens in TN too.

I am originally from TN and I do not have very high hopes for it to be struck down. It literally just keeps coming back and the religious right in TN is pretty hardcore about their Jesus. Did you know that there are 7 states that require a belief in god in order to hold public office? I bet you can guess at least two...they both start with T!!!!

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
05-04-2011, 07:50 AM
We've mentioned the states a few times. Probably like most growing up in one of those states I was given fake forefather quotes as a schoolchild. I've yet to find where Jefferson actuallly said that a belief in god was necessary to ensure that a leader was morally capable. My schools sure mentioned it though.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Yeah, well, a whole lot more than seven states mention a reverence to god in their preambles (45); and although atheists believe the preambles are meaningless, just like the theists, that simply is not true. Preambles are the key to the social agreement, it may be the only part the citizens actually understand, and so that gives the perpetuation of the covenant credibility.

It is a bizarre argument to claim that preambles have no meaning. The preambles may be rendered irrelevant, but that is because people have been much more faulty in the past then what we should expect now. I for one would prefer a state lead by non-theists, but to do so I have to respect the will of states that would bar non-theists - and that is not a problem as far as I am concerned, except for the lack of credibility on the part of non-theists.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The fight for proper education marches on BrokenQuill92 4 168 08-12-2013 12:23 AM
Last Post: Vosur
  SPOA creator's latest bill proposes stripping peer-review from science finding slydog 22 727 03-05-2013 06:04 PM
Last Post: bbeljefe
  Education Blows Diablo666 12 536 02-11-2012 10:31 PM
Last Post: earmuffs
  Attitudes towards education TheBeardedDude 29 1,138 20-10-2012 12:19 PM
Last Post: BryanS
  Education in USA... Filox 3 402 16-10-2011 08:56 PM
Last Post: mysticjbyrd
  Education systems and what can be improved supermanlives1973 5 1,547 26-02-2010 01:49 PM
Last Post: supermanlives1973