HBO: Questioning Darwin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 12:34 AM
HBO: Questioning Darwin
Here is a fantastic article from Slate, talking about the recent HBO documentary on creationists.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and...alism.html

Some choice quotes:

Quote:Creationism, the documentary reveals, isn’t a harmless, compartmentalized fantasy. It’s a suffocating, oppressive worldview through which believers must interpret reality—and its primary target is children. For creationists, intellectual inquiry is a sin, and anyone who dares to doubt the wisdom of their doctrine invites eternal damnation. That’s the perverse brilliance of creationism, the key to its self-perpetuation: First it locks kids in the dungeon of ignorance and dogmatic fundamentalism. Then it throws away the key.

Quote:No creationist is content to keep her beliefs to herself. Creationists don’t merely proselytize; they brainwash their own children and push their creed into public schools across the country. Creationists teach their children not only that evolution is evil, but that studying evolution, even thinking about it, is a sin that leads the soul to eternal damnation.

Quote:True believers yearn for the rest of us to be locked up in the same mental prison where they have consigned themselves and their children. They insist that evolution has robbed us of our humanity. But in reality, it’s their twisted gospel that aims to strip us of the very thing that makes us human.

If anyone finds a link to the documentary online, please post it here.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
11-02-2014, 12:42 AM
RE: HBO: Questioning Darwin
http://vidto.me/omz4ka35khzl.html
11-02-2014, 01:30 AM
I literally just finished watching it on HBO just now. While watching I did also see the review in Slate that you shared.

However, I did not feel the strong way the Slate link described it being "the documentary reveals, isn’t a harmless, compartmentalized fantasy. It’s a suffocating, oppressive worldview...". It felt more like any Christian or Creationist could watch it and feel like it was a movie made for them. At the same time, any of us could view it and feel at the most, it just displays Creationist in ways in which not only do we already view them, but in ways in which they themselves would agree.

It was interesting to me as far as watching some insight to the general way some of these people think, and raise their children. But it's feels a bit more like an anthropological study of a culture of Creationist, than it is an searing exposé on them.

Over all though, I would say it is interesting to watch, but I did not feel like I learned anything from it. I would say take it as a documentary for the pure sake of documenting the some aspect of the Creationist culture, because that's the one thing I really was left with. It seems that Creationism is more about a cultural group, than it really even is about a belief system. Creationism is their culture, in as much as religion is their culture.

Find all posts by this user
11-02-2014, 04:22 AM
I just finished watching the documentary, thanks to the link ghostexorist posted; thanks!

I have to disagree with you RJ, and concur with the Slate article sentiments. This documentary is an example of the blatant and willful ignorance these people live in; and the mom who was home-schooling her kids is just further example of the harm being done to the minds of innocent children.

I was reminded of three quotes while watching this. The first came from all the talk by these people of how humanity is "fallen" and how these accounts in Genesis explain all the suffering in the world, as this is the only way they can make sense of it. In Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth, Campbell said:

Quote:However, our story of the Fall in the Garden sees nature as corrupt; and that myth corrupts the whole world for us. Because nature is thought of as corrupt, every spontaneous act is sinful and must not be yielded to. You get a totally different civilization and a totally different way of living according to whether your myth presents nature as fallen or whether nature is in itself a manifestation of divinity, and the spirit is the revelation of the divinity that is inherent in nature.

The second quote I was reminded of came from Richard Dawkins in A Devil's Chaplain and is a perfect example of all the wonderful grandeur and beauty of the universe and nature these people deliberately blind themselves too:

Quote:[T]he Young Earth view is not just that it is false but that it is petty, small-minded, parochial, unimaginative, unpoetic and downright boring compared to the staggering, mind-expanding truth.

Finally, I was reminded of Carl Sagan's poignant comment:

Quote:It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
11-02-2014, 07:11 AM
(11-02-2014 04:22 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  I was reminded of three quotes while watching this. The first came from all the talk by these people of how humanity is "fallen" and how these accounts in Genesis explain all the suffering in the world, as this is the only way they can make sense of it. In Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth, Campbell said:

Quote:However, our story of the Fall in the Garden sees nature as corrupt; and that myth corrupts the whole world for us. Because nature is thought of as corrupt, every spontaneous act is sinful and must not be yielded to. You get a totally different civilization and a totally different way of living according to whether your myth presents nature as fallen or whether nature is in itself a manifestation of divinity, and the spirit is the revelation of the divinity that is inherent in nature.

I think that's one of the worst things about christian doctrine, that the world is fallen and you are fallen, bad, and sinful. It can do terrible damage psychologically. What a horrible thing to tell a young child who comes in to the world wide-eyed and full of wonder. It's disgusting.
[+] 4 users Like meremortal's post
11-02-2014, 07:13 PM
(11-02-2014 04:22 AM)Diogenes of Mayberry Wrote:  I just finished watching the documentary, thanks to the link ghostexorist posted; thanks!

I have to disagree with you RJ, and concur with the Slate article sentiments. This documentary is an example of the blatant and willful ignorance these people live in; and the mom who was home-schooling her kids is just further example of the harm being done to the minds of innocent children.

I was reminded of three quotes while watching this. The first came from all the talk by these people of how humanity is "fallen" and how these accounts in Genesis explain all the suffering in the world, as this is the only way they can make sense of it. In Joseph Campbell and The Power of Myth, Campbell said:

The second quote I was reminded of came from Richard Dawkins in A Devil's Chaplain and is a perfect example of all the wonderful grandeur and beauty of the universe and nature these people deliberately blind themselves too:

Quote:[T]he Young Earth view is not just that it is false but that it is petty, small-minded, parochial, unimaginative, unpoetic and downright boring compared to the staggering, mind-expanding truth.

Finally, I was reminded of Carl Sagan's poignant comment:

Quote:It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.

I agree with your feelings on it. I just mean that it doesn't seem to do much to show how dangerous and harmful these people actually are.

Maybe I've just been studying too much stuff on them, so it doesn't' seem much new, or as bad as the worst of it is. And the doc doesn't put a fine point on it. It just kind of shows it.

I guess I mean I think it could have been more aggressive on the topic, if it was really intended as an expose on Creationism. I got more of a sense of it just showing their beliefs, and a few people saying why they disagree. I think it could have done a lot, lot more.

12-02-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm watching it now. My face hurts from the face palms.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
12-02-2014, 11:00 AM
I watched it last night on my iPad. It kept stopping so it took like double the time. Giving that much lip-service tho to the creation museum was troubling.

I did have a strange thought, however, what if they do get their way, shuttering evolution out of the schools and we need to homeschool our children so they learn science...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

12-02-2014, 11:20 AM
(12-02-2014 11:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I watched it last night on my iPad. It kept stopping so it took like double the time. Giving that much lip-service tho to the creation museum was troubling.

I did have a strange thought, however, what if they do get their way, shuttering evolution out of the schools and we need to homeschool our children so they learn science...

Then I'm moving to Canada. Dodgy

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
12-02-2014, 12:03 PM
"There are many ways to get the light here quickly, including gravitational time dilation."

Da fuck? I'm pretty sure special relativity doesn't work that way. In fact I'm fairly sure my physics teacher said it isn't.