HELP, I have a huge cross tattoo!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 01:24 AM
HELP, I have a huge cross tattoo!
http://i.imgur.com/YvmEEMH.jpg
[Image: YvmEEMH.jpg]

I got this tattoo about 5 years ago when I was a bodybuilding meathead. Fell into a serious health crisis, read over 150 books, and emerged with a completely changed view of the universe. Now that I'm back in good health, I'd like some suggestions as to what I can do about this.

Since its so large, removal or coverage is really out of the question... I was considering adding to it, to make it more apparent that I am not in support of religion.
Perhaps words such as "tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" on my chest where the tattoo opens up, and alterations to the body of the tattoo, displaying the evils done in the name of religion? Not sure how this would be shown though.

Are there any symbols/images that come to mind?
I don't think theres room to show a sad Galileo having his telescope stepped on.

Also, I was considering getting some new work done on the other arm/chest. Perhaps something cosmic. I really like a quote from Alan Watts, but it seems a little lengthy.
"You didn’t come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here." Backdrop: Earth and/or Nebulae
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 08:39 AM
RE: HELP, I have a huge cross tattoo!
Crosses aren't really symbolic of Christianity or religion anymore. I mean... they are... but they aren't. They are really just a form of decoration... much like the fleur-de-lis.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Are you perhaps of Irish, Celtic, or Scottish heritage? If so, it can be passed off as a symbol of your ancestry.

(sorry can't see the pic)

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-02-2013, 09:07 AM
From the angle of the pic, I don't think it looks too obviously cruciform.

With what looks like a bat shape above it, I would see if it could be changed into something ghost-like ... put two eyes just above the middle of the cross.

Or a scary zombie jesus can be added, hanging on the cross.

I think, I would go for the red 'A' for atheist in the middle of the cross.

When asked what it means, I'd say I'm an A-theist

[Image: atheism+symbols+and+richard+dawkins+and+...mpaign.jpg]

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
04-02-2013, 09:38 AM
I like DLJ's suggestion - an A - your personal scarlet letter.

As for the Alan Watts quote over the Earth and/or Nebulae... maybe his more brief statement: This Is It.

I don't have any myself but I think tattoos are interesting. I consider them a battle scar; they show you've had a life and you live with what you've gone through. That's cool.

Consider You could turn that shoulder tat into a fractal or mandelbrot image... but that could get involved.
[Image: TendonsFull.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
04-02-2013, 09:47 AM
Wow, bummer. It could be much worse actually. I was expecting some poor Jewish guy being tortured on a couple cross beams but your's looks kind of a Celtic symbol of sorts. You should tell people it's just simply part of your ancestor's coat of arms.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. – Thomas Paine
04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
(04-02-2013 08:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Crosses aren't really symbolic of Christianity or religion anymore. I mean... they are... but they aren't. They are really just a form of decoration... much like the fleur-de-lis.

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Are you perhaps of Irish, Celtic, or Scottish heritage? If so, it can be passed off as a symbol of your ancestry.

(sorry can't see the pic)

You're right about the heritage, When I designed the tat, I wanted it to look a little like a celtic cross shape. Also, the negative space immediately around the cross was supposed to be shaped a little like a clover leaf. But mostly... It isn't.
04-02-2013, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 09:28 PM by Hamata k.)
WORSHIP THE POWERS OF CHAOS!
[Image: 1338391470481.jpg]

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 4 users Like Hamata k's post
04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Just say you were really into astrology. And that your tatoo helps you be "Pointed in the right direction". And then walk away as they scratch there heads. :-)
04-02-2013, 12:44 PM
(04-02-2013 01:24 AM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  http://i.imgur.com/YvmEEMH.jpg
[Image: YvmEEMH.jpg]

I got this tattoo about 5 years ago when I was a bodybuilding meathead. Fell into a serious health crisis, read over 150 books, and emerged with a completely changed view of the universe. Now that I'm back in good health, I'd like some suggestions as to what I can do about this.

Since its so large, removal or coverage is really out of the question... I was considering adding to it, to make it more apparent that I am not in support of religion.
Perhaps words such as "tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" on my chest where the tattoo opens up, and alterations to the body of the tattoo, displaying the evils done in the name of religion? Not sure how this would be shown though.

Are there any symbols/images that come to mind?
I don't think theres room to show a sad Galileo having his telescope stepped on.

Also, I was considering getting some new work done on the other arm/chest. Perhaps something cosmic. I really like a quote from Alan Watts, but it seems a little lengthy.
"You didn’t come into this world. You came out of it, like a wave from the ocean. You are not a stranger here." Backdrop: Earth and/or Nebulae
I have a similar problem. Two days after my brother was killed in Iraq, I went and got an Irish cross on my back. Fast forward, I'm an atheist. As another poster said, I pawn it off as symbolic of my heritage, as I'm part Irish, but I have thought about extending the sides and the top to make it into a crosshairs.

Try going to a tattoo shop and see if they have any ideas. They are, most of the time, artists, and probably would have some ideas.
04-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Eh. I have a Celtic cross on my forearm. Lucky for me, I got it as a slap in the face to religion. Given it's actually meaning that man created God. And it won't get me fired from a job. Win-win.

[Image: bmHWg.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Generation Why?'s post