HELP ME! Christmas shopping rush time!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-12-2013, 06:38 PM
RE: HELP ME! Christmas shopping rush time!
Anjele, thanks for those suggestions I may very well take some of them.

Cardinal Smurf, that site actually might actually have good gifts to accompany amazon gift cards and lotto tickets! I am thinking of getting my little brother the money toilet paper hahaha.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Adrianime's post
14-12-2013, 03:28 AM
You could do a family gift and take care of all of them at once.

Take the family out for a family picture, and buy everyone a few copies. If anyone wants extras it's on them. Boom, holiday shopping done. That's actually a good idea, I'm gonna save that for next year.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
14-12-2013, 06:45 AM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2013 11:21 AM by DLJ.)
Here is a method for 'mass' shopping and when I still did christmas I could do all my shopping in a couple of hours on christmas eve.

Seriously.

My method is called 'the 3Fs'. You may think I'm joking but it actually works.

It's fool-proof and I should know 'cause I used it and I'm a fool.

Firstly, shake from your mind the idea of... What does person x need or want?
You'll go crazy thinking about that, particularly for people you don't know too well.

You can't get inside someone else's head, so stop trying.

Then, follow the following steps:

1. Start early

2. Gather data: christmas gift recipients.

3. Create a list of these (List A).

4. Categorise the recipients as per these 3 Fs, with regard to the kind of relationship you have with them:
F1 = Frivolous ..... e.g. best friend, brother
F2 = Functional ... e.g. father, uncle
F3 = Forever ....... e.g. wife, husband, bf, gf

5. Gather data: Think of gifts that fit the 3 x F categories (do not try to fit these to List A just yet):
F1 = Frivolous ..... e.g. silly book, chocolates)
F2 = Functional ... e.g. car cleaning kit, DIY book, photo album
F3 = Forever ...... e.g. jewellery, perfume, photo album with photos of loved ones, an event (holiday tickets, skydiving vouchers) that will create a future memory)

6. Create this as a second list (List B)

7. Wait...

8. Wait some more...

9. Wait until...

10. ... the sales start

11. Buy lots of gifts as per List B (enough for the totals on List A, per category + a couple of spares)

12. Bring them home and match the gifts to the recipients (i.e. match the actual gifts to List A)

13. Wrap the gifts

14. Merry christmas

How easy was that?

Note 1: There will be some people who might fit into more than one category. In my experience most people only expect one gift so are really surprised and delighted to get more than one, e.g. one romantic one and also one silly one (even if the overall monetary value is the same).

Note 2: For step 11, aim for gifts that can fit into more than one category (e.g. books). This gives you flexibility for step 12 (matching).

For those of you who think this is overly unemotional, analytical and dispassionate.... PAH!... It's actually good fun and also stress free.

Try it. You can thank me later.

Cheers
DLJ

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-12-2013, 08:02 AM
DLJ, you're method of 'easy' shopping sounds WAAYYY more complicated then anything I've ever done. I usually wait until there is a big sale (Black Friday, Cyber Monday in today's world) go online Look at things on sale and say 'would so and so like any of these?' If yes, buy, if no, just buy something at regular price they might like.

My wife is easy. She tells me what she wants. Most people have a 'thing' which you can't go wrong with. Brother is always video games. Mom's will always love what you get them, even if they don't. I just guess at something that is geared toward women. You can't go wrong with candles. My sister likes some pop culture stuff, and I can never go wrong with anything to do with Peanuts (Charles Shultz). Father is always toughest, but I can't go wrong with something History related, or tools.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
14-12-2013, 11:26 AM
(14-12-2013 08:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  DLJ, you're method of 'easy' shopping sounds WAAYYY more complicated then anything I've ever done. I usually wait until there is a big sale (Black Friday, Cyber Monday in today's world) go online Look at things on sale and say 'would so and so like any of these?' If yes, buy, if no, just buy something at regular price they might like.

OK. Same thing but with less structure and sounds like it takes more time.

I can't buy online but List B (step 5) can be created that way.

(14-12-2013 08:02 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  My wife is easy.

So I've heard.

I suspect those words will be immortalised in the Out Of Context thread.

14-12-2013, 11:34 AM
I have a crazy list like that and I've only bought 5 gifts so far. Just not in the shopping mood this year. Every time I go out to run errands - it's just TOO many people and I want to run home.
Really - I just suck at this holiday business this year. *sigh*

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
14-12-2013, 08:19 PM
I bought 4 gifts today...Before Monday I plan to go to stupid.com and order a few things and amazon.com and order like 15 gift cards. Next week I'll get the lotto tickets Thumbsup. *sigh* Why do the people in my family have so many kids (including my mom)?

14-12-2013, 08:21 PM
Sabrina I feel your pain Sad. Actually you've likely been doing this far more years than me so my pain is like an itch compared to yours Tongue.