HP Lovecraft

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-07-2012, 01:04 AM
HP Lovecraft
HP Lovecraft is my favorite author. Was wondering if atheist are into him.

Also whats your favorite of his?

Mine is The rats in walls or something I forget the title.

"'Tis the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it." - Aristotle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPqksG9nbA
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2012, 04:23 AM
RE: HP Lovecraft
He's a bit of a weird writer. I prefer hard sci-fi. Greg Bear is one of my favourite writers. Also like some of Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven's books.

Footfall was good, Blood Music was good, also Anvil of the Stars. Enjoyed all of those.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
10-07-2012, 11:09 PM
His writing is very weird and extremely dark and terrifying. My favorite kind of escape.
(08-07-2012 04:23 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  He's a bit of a weird writer. I prefer hard sci-fi. Greg Bear is one of my favourite writers. Also like some of Jerry Pournelle and Larry Niven's books.

Footfall was good, Blood Music was good, also Anvil of the Stars. Enjoyed all of those.

"'Tis the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without accepting it." - Aristotle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBPqksG9nbA
11-07-2012, 04:07 AM
My favourite Lovecraft story was At The Mountains Of Madness. Only Lovecraft can really scare me with his stories
20-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I have the line “No man may kill a cat” on an engraved plaque on my study wall. Always a good conversation starter when I have guests over.

"Gary, it's burning, what we gonna do"
-Bill Bailey
28-08-2012, 05:46 PM
I've only read one Lovecraft story, the one about the zombie guy who wants to find others and discovers he is a monster when he sees himself in the mirror. Are there any other stories from Lovecraft with interesting twists?

"If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Jesus's post
28-08-2012, 07:23 PM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 07:46 PM by cufflink.)
(28-08-2012 05:46 PM)Atheist Jesus Wrote:  I've only read one Lovecraft story, the one about the zombie guy who wants to find others and discovers he is a monster when he sees himself in the mirror. Are there any other stories from Lovecraft with interesting twists?

Try The Colour Out of Space. It scared the bejeezus out of me when I was a kid.

Lovecraft is the only writer I've come across who uses the word "eldritch." For that alone he's worth reading. Wink

ETA: This web site apparently gives the complete text of all the works of Lovecraft! A couple of other stories I remember being impressed by are "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Shadow Out of Time."

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
09-10-2012, 02:41 AM
I'm only JUST getting into Lovecraft. I've been reading Poe for years, but Lovecraft is a lot darker.

I found him through Draconian's song "It Grieves My Heart"; it samples a few lines from "The Outsider". So I looked it up and read it. When I realized that the "monster" was actually his reflection in the mirror, I was sold. Damn good writer.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
09-10-2012, 07:31 PM
You can find them online I suppose, I bought a few collections years ago that were themed. Recently I bought the book "Contre le monde, contre la vie" by Michel Houellebecq (I think there's a English translation out there also) which was a great discussion of HPL and focuses on what a grim turd he was, and how he ignores themes like sexuality and money in his works, and discusses his correspondence with other writers, etc.

I got in to Lovecraft as a kid by way of Metallica's Ride the Lightning album (which has the song "the call of ktulu[sic]." My love of Lovecraft outlasted my love of Metallica. ^_^

I really enjoyed The Outsider, and if I'm in the right mood, the Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath. Not horror, but trippy as hell.