HTML5/CSS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2013, 01:40 PM
HTML5/CSS
Mostly just because IE will take up heaps of time and drive you nuts.

"While religions tell us next to nothing useful or true about the universe, they do tell us an enormous amount - perhaps an embarrassing amount - about ourselves, about what we value, fear and lust after." Iain M Banks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like daylightisabadthing's post
11-08-2013, 05:24 PM
RE: HTML5/CSS
(10-08-2013 04:06 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  http://www.google.com

I expected someone to be jerk about it. Dodgy

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
11-08-2013, 05:46 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 05:50 PM by ridethespiral.)
(10-08-2013 01:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 09:14 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Check IE but don't build in IE...get it working in FF or Chrome/Safari first.

Why? Over 80% of my visitors use IE.... That should then be my first concern, no?

IE's rendering engine is garbage, it's developer tools are near worthless...only IE10 is standards compliant (and just barely).

You build it right first (it works in every browser but IE) and then use careful work arounds and enable JS based fixes/graceful fallbacks for what doesn't work in IE. I usually support IE8 and up unless the client wants to pay me more for 6/7.

Really complicated sites one might spend an extra day or two getting IE to work properly but sometimes through experience I can make a site work in IE the first time I check.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2013, 09:08 PM
(10-08-2013 01:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 09:14 AM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Check IE but don't build in IE...get it working in FF or Chrome/Safari first.

Why? Over 80% of my visitors use IE.... That should then be my first concern, no?

That's strange... is it a company intranet where ie is forced on people?

The picture looks very different on tta and for most sites on the internet.

[Image: yze2a4y9.jpg]

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
12-08-2013, 06:23 AM
This has all been a ruse to find out who can take over maintenance of the forum, right?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-08-2013, 08:44 AM
(11-08-2013 09:08 PM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(10-08-2013 01:04 PM)Dom Wrote:  Why? Over 80% of my visitors use IE.... That should then be my first concern, no?

That's strange... is it a company intranet where ie is forced on people?

The picture looks very different on tta and for most sites on the internet.

[Image: yze2a4y9.jpg]

Yeah what version(s) of IE btw? 6 or 7 years ago 80% IE would not have surprised me....if you website is frequented by Chinese folks running pirated copies of win98 it wouldn't surprise me....or like Deep said if your IT dept. sucks ass.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user