Hacking?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2016, 07:24 PM
RE: Hacked results?
(27-11-2016 06:29 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I saw that on Twitter. They need to lock up his phone.

The phone isn't the failed component here. As one comedian put it, 'America has elected it first openly crazy president. They have finally broken the rubber padded ceiling.'

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Hacking?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/politics/d...index.html

Quote:Democratic senators are pressing the Obama administration to more forthrightly state, based in part on new intelligence information, that Russia's meddling in the US election was intended to help Donald Trump, multiple sources tell CNN.

Quote:Multiple sources with knowledge of the investigation into Russia's hacking say the US intelligence community is increasingly confident that Russian meddling in the US election was intended to steer the election toward Trump, rather than simply to undermine or in other ways disrupt the political process. The sources say there is some new information but would not specify due to the classified nature of the intelligence.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-12-2016, 06:59 PM
RE: Hacking?
The whole "The Russians are coming!!!" thing was such a blatant deflection tactic during the election that informed-voters saw through it.

DNC/Clinton Team (same thing, of course) messaging was that all "17 intelligence agencies, civilian and military, who have all concluded that these espionage attacks, these cyberattacks, come from the highest levels of the Kremlin" and Politifact concurs.

But apparently only two of the agencies had been looking into it (I forget where I read that, or which two it was) and the "17" claim stems from the notion that it was the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (who speaks for all), who issued the statement.

So... why are these "multiple sources" (aka: many, many tremendous people are saying) still concerned with pushing this narrative, via the Clinton News Network, now that the election is over?

Is it from the progressive wing of the Dems who are seeking to call Obama's bluff or is it the conservative wing?

If it's the latter, does this tactical effort (along with the support for Stein's recount initiative) indicate an actual strategy or is it merely that they are still in sour-grapes / "it wasn't our fault" mode?

Here's a thing from Hitchens which might add some perspective:
(yeah, I know he's wrong about the god thing and this colours his political views but he's not wrong about everything)

03-12-2016, 06:35 AM
The thing is that, if there is a way to hack the elections, it needs to be eliminated. If there is any foul play, the US needs to protect the next election.

Nothing will change the outcome this time. Trump should have an interest in "making the elections safe again" just like other parties. He's the one who kept hollering about it. And every US citizen should have an interest in that.

From what I've read, the computer system they are using is so old and unprotected that a 5 year old with a tablet can hack it.

One could also cease looking for issues and just go ahead and design a good system that can be used by all the states and make it available for the next election. Theoretically all parties should want this.

Also, the intelligence community never said that the Russian government did it. They did say hacking occurred and it originated in Russia. If I was the Russian government and wanted to hack the US election, I would have the hack originating from a different country.

And then there is the fact that Trump filed law suits to halt the recount. What is that all about?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-12-2016, 07:20 PM
(26-11-2016 01:03 AM)Aractus Wrote:  
(25-11-2016 11:38 PM)SYZ Wrote:  So... 94% voter turnout for general elections in Australia versus 61% turnout in the US.

Which do you think gives the best "true" result?

That's not really true, actual turnout is more like 85%. Turnout is people who actually cast a counted vote. Something like: 95% of people registered to vote, minus 5% informal votes, minus 5% didn't vote, equals 85% turnout.

But that said, I agree that our system is better than the US. Grasshopper is actually happy that cohorts in his country are under represented in the election, and that's terrible. Uninformed ignorant people that hate politics have just as much right to have their votes counted as anyone else.

I said nothing about anyone's right to vote. My argument was against compulsory voting. If someone doesn't care enough to vote on their own initiative, what's to be gained by forcing them to? Why would you want to force apathetic people to vote? I'm all for allowing them to vote if they want to (and that was actually a problem in my state (Wisconsin) -- restrictive "voter ID" laws aimed at traditional Democratic-leaning demographics may have been enough to swing the state over to Trump), but I don't see the point of making it compulsory.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
03-12-2016, 07:41 PM
(03-12-2016 06:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  The thing is that, if there is a way to hack the elections, it needs to be eliminated. If there is any foul play, the US needs to protect the next election.

Nothing will change the outcome this time. Trump should have an interest in "making the elections safe again" just like other parties. He's the one who kept hollering about it. And every US citizen should have an interest in that.

From what I've read, the computer system they are using is so old and unprotected that a 5 year old with a tablet can hack it.

One could also cease looking for issues and just go ahead and design a good system that can be used by all the states and make it available for the next election. Theoretically all parties should want this.

Also, the intelligence community never said that the Russian government did it. They did say hacking occurred and it originated in Russia. If I was the Russian government and wanted to hack the US election, I would have the hack originating from a different country.

And then there is the fact that Trump filed law suits to halt the recount. What is that all about?

The Russia thing has me scratching my head....

Voting machines, can't easily be "hacked" at all. None are connected to the web, so the idea that someone siting in Russia hacked into a voting machine in Wisconsin doesn't seem probable.

What can be done is the data stored in the voting machine, can be manipulated so the machine itself doesn't record the votes correctly.

How the information is stored and retrieved might be an issue.

But remote hacking wouldn't happen at the machine...

Now I don't know what happens when the info in the machines are sent to the state...I suppose a hack could happen at that point if they are sent by internet....

But again, according to my computer geek friend, the system used in California (for example) is not connected to the web. It's a closed system. Each county counts the votes and gives the count Sacramento.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

04-12-2016, 07:14 AM
(03-12-2016 07:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(03-12-2016 06:35 AM)Dom Wrote:  The thing is that, if there is a way to hack the elections, it needs to be eliminated. If there is any foul play, the US needs to protect the next election.

The Russia thing has me scratching my head....

Voting machines, can't easily be "hacked" at all. None are connected to the web, so the idea that someone siting in Russia hacked into a voting machine in Wisconsin doesn't seem probable.

What can be done is the data stored in the voting machine, can be manipulated so the machine itself doesn't record the votes correctly.

Now I don't know what happens when the info in the machines are sent to the state...I suppose a hack could happen at that point if they are sent by internet....

But again, according to my computer geek friend, the system used in California (for example) is not connected to the web. It's a closed system. Each county counts the votes and gives the count Sacramento.

Well, that needs to be publicly announced then so everyone knows it and neither Trump nor anyone else can say next time that the election was rigged. You can't have a democracy where the people think that voting is rigged.

That said, Stein must have been acting on some bad information then.

04-12-2016, 06:02 PM
(04-12-2016 07:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(03-12-2016 07:41 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The Russia thing has me scratching my head....

Well, that needs to be publicly announced then so everyone knows it and neither Trump nor anyone else can say next time that the election was rigged. You can't have a democracy where the people think that voting is rigged.

I think this is primarily just a way for Stein to get her name out there. There's very little chance that these recounts are going to change anything, and certainly not in her favor. But a lot more people will know who she is.
04-12-2016, 06:19 PM
(04-12-2016 06:02 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(04-12-2016 07:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  Well, that needs to be publicly announced then so everyone knows it and neither Trump nor anyone else can say next time that the election was rigged. You can't have a democracy where the people think that voting is rigged.

I think this is primarily just a way for Stein to get her name out there. There's very little chance that these recounts are going to change anything, and certainly not in her favor. But a lot more people will know who she is.

Sure, she's getting her name out there. But - during his campaign Trump kept saying the elections were rigged, and now he says millions of illegals voted. That has to be stopped, because if he runs a second time and loses, people need to trust in the voting system. Or it could start a civil war.