Had a deep conversation with 6 year old about cars being alive

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2013, 03:37 PM
Had a deep conversation with 6 year old about cars being alive
So my 6 year old son got a wrong question on a test. He said a car was alive. He said he knew a car wasn't alive, but according to what the teacher told him it WAS alive.

The teacher said living things move, take in food, breathe, and expel waste. (among other things-this IS kindergarten)

My son reasoned that cars move, take in food in the form of gasoline, breathe air into their carburetors, and expel waste in used motor oil and exhaust.

I then said, well they have the be aware to be alive. He said that plants are not aware and they are alive.

Hmm. Well, it was a deep conversation, and solidified my resolve to raise my son a free thinker. I don't want religion poisoning that. I didn't mind him going to church for "social reasons" until I heard a teacher there try to explain to him the earth was 6,000 years old.

I really think my son is very smart, and I want that curiosity and inquisitiveness to continue. I'd hate to see religion end that with myths and all that.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 9 users Like FaceOfBoe's post
14-11-2013, 03:41 PM
RE: Had a deep conversation with 6 year old about cars being alive
Your son is smart, and given the parameters given to him he was correct, but to be alive it must also have the capability to reproduce. Being self-aware is a requirement for sentience.

Find all posts by this user
14-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I did mention about reproducing and natural selection. He said bad cars die out and go away and new models come out for good ones.

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-11-2013, 03:43 PM
And he's six? wow, I know six-year olds that don't even know that plants are living things. It's awesome that he knows the basics of what makes a living thing.Thumbsup
14-11-2013, 03:49 PM
The definition of life based on vital functions (eating, reproduction, etc.) also allows for fire to be alive. There isn't a good definition of life for my taste yet

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-11-2013, 03:50 PM
(14-11-2013 03:42 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  I did mention about reproducing and natural selection. He said bad cars die out and go away and new models come out for good ones.

Time to explain the difference between production and reproduction. That's my 2 cents anyhow.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
14-11-2013, 05:32 PM
(14-11-2013 03:37 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  So my 6 year old son got a wrong question on a test. He said a car was alive. He said he knew a car wasn't alive, but according to what the teacher told him it WAS alive.

The teacher said living things move, take in food, breathe, and expel waste. (among other things-this IS kindergarten)

My son reasoned that cars move, take in food in the form of gasoline, breathe air into their carburetors, and expel waste in used motor oil and exhaust.

I then said, well they have the be aware to be alive. He said that plants are not aware and they are alive.

Hmm. Well, it was a deep conversation, and solidified my resolve to raise my son a free thinker. I don't want religion poisoning that. I didn't mind him going to church for "social reasons" until I heard a teacher there try to explain to him the earth was 6,000 years old.

I really think my son is very smart, and I want that curiosity and inquisitiveness to continue. I'd hate to see religion end that with myths and all that.

Given the teachers definition, your son is right....Tell that teacher what is up

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
14-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Wow, looks like dad is doing an awesome job, way to go, what a smart kid!! Thumbsup

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
14-11-2013, 06:44 PM
(14-11-2013 05:32 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(14-11-2013 03:37 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  So my 6 year old son got a wrong question on a test. He said a car was alive. He said he knew a car wasn't alive, but according to what the teacher told him it WAS alive.

Given the teachers definition, your son is right....Tell that teacher what is up

I wouldn't do that, this is also a good oportunity to teach the kid that there're stupid people and assholes out there. That should soften the punch when he realizes the depth of assholeness in the world

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-11-2013, 06:48 PM
Seems the churches are in collusion with Ken Ham these days.
Preach creationism or die out they are probably getting told.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".