Had an idea (huge project, concerns TTA members)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Had an idea (huge project, concerns TTA members)
My KJV Bible has a commentary, and it got me thinking...

What if there was a Biblical commentary done based on very different points of view?

Meaning: An atheist, an agnostic, a Calvinistic Christian, a Catholic Christian, and a former Christian minister who is now an atheist. Each writer would offer a unique and compelling point of view to the scriptures.

This would be an amazing, fair and balanced tool that could be given to anyone who had questions.

Now obviously, this is a HUGE undertaking and would take a long, long time and would have to have strong dedication from the writers, but I think it could be done.

My ideas for the writers are:

Atheist - Buddy Christ
Agnostic - Ghost
Calvinistic Christian - kingschosen
Catholic Christian - Tarzan
Former minister/atheist - Exromai

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
03-05-2012, 02:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 02:49 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Had an idea (huge project, concerns TTA members)
(03-05-2012 02:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My KJV Bible has a commentary, and it got me thinking...

What if there was a Biblical commentary done based on very different points of view?

Meaning: An atheist, an agnostic, a Calvinistic Christian, a Catholic Christian, and a former Christian minister who is now an atheist. Each writer would offer a unique and compelling point of view to the scriptures.

This would be an amazing, fair and balanced tool that could be given to anyone who had questions.

Now obviously, this is a HUGE undertaking and would take a long, long time and would have to have strong dedication from the writers, but I think it could be done.

Atheist - Buddy Christ
Agnostic - Ghost

Agree. Great idea. But also need the historical/exegetical/culturally contextual/source materials/process-of-editing/academic view. (Not that I know anyone who could do all that). Weeping
Hey look hoc. I went to the doc, and she seems to have cured da Buck of Bold Comic Sans disease !

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
03-05-2012, 02:47 PM
(03-05-2012 02:45 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-05-2012 02:32 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  My KJV Bible has a commentary, and it got me thinking...

Atheist - Buddy Christ
Agnostic - Ghost

Agree. Great idea. But also need the historical/exegetical/culturally contextual/source materials/process-of-editing/academic view. (Not that I know anyone who could do all that). Weeping
lol, maybe the "atheist" can be a collective person?

03-05-2012, 02:51 PM
You're planning on making it a website? It would be very difficult to fit everything into a book. I would definitely suggest we kind of discuss it here. I would seriously suggest adding a Jew and a Muslim along with possibly a non-abrahamic religious view. Currently you've got more of a non-religious viewing of it.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
03-05-2012, 02:55 PM
(03-05-2012 02:51 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  You're planning on making it a website? It would be very difficult to fit everything into a book. I would definitely suggest we kind of discuss it here. I would seriously suggest adding a Jew and a Muslim along with possibly a non-abrahamic religious view. Currently you've got more of a non-religious viewing of it.
Okay, find me a Jew, a Muslim, and a non-abrahamic religious person Wink

Truth be told, I had originally thought about that as well... but yeah... not many of those around who would be willing to dedicate time to it.

As far as a website? Don't know. Was just thinking a collaborative effort that would materialize into a forum thread.

03-05-2012, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 03:00 PM by Lilith Pride.)
Get the project going and I will find you those people. We can add them in after starting. There are plenty of Jews who run websites discussing the old testament. We should be able to find a Muslim, and yet again seeking out the other religious member will be more doable when they have a project at hand. They don't need to be members.
Oh and make sure to get a woman somewhere in there =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
03-05-2012, 03:03 PM
But it would be unmanageable. You wouldn't have any consensus on any passage. For every verse you would have to attribute pages of debate and and rebuttal before you could move onto the next verse.

Perhaps the idea would work, however, on specific topics. Like a White Paper Symposium with the different groups you mentioned writing on, say the topic of the atonement or eschatology.

Still, you'd have to figure out who the target audience is. Most atheists or Jews or Muslims wouldn't care to spend much talking about the atonement. Yet you could get at least 15 different theories from 5 different Christians.

Now, I could see a commentary being written by Catholics, Wesleyans, Calvinists, Pentecostals, Baptists and a smattering of Jesus Seminar type "liberals."
That would probably be more useful to the Christian reading the Bible than wondering what an atheist would say about it. Here's the atheist commentary on any verse in the Bible: It's all a load of bullshit.

Most importantly about this thread: why the fuck are you using the KJV? It's source manuscripts are too corrupted to be a valid rendering of the literature.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
03-05-2012, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2012 03:12 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-05-2012 02:55 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  As far as a website? Don't know. Was just thinking a collaborative effort that would materialize into a forum thread.

Add lingustics to my list.
Maybe a consensus could be come to about a number of topis, instead of the ENTIRE Bible.
ex.
OT : Creation, Expulsion, Early history, (Noah, Abraham, Joseph in Egypt), Moses, Exodus, Law, Early Prophets, Isaiah, Later Prophets, bla bla bla.
NT : Gospels, (certain topics.. birth stories, ministry, death/resurrection/ascension/Pentecost), Acts, Pauline stuff, Revelation/Apocalypse stuff
? extra canonical stuff, (other gospels?)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein (That's a JOKE, ya idiot)
"And you quit footing the bill for these nations that are oil rich - we're paying for some of their *squirmishes* that have been going on for centuries" - Sarah Palin
03-05-2012, 03:08 PM
(03-05-2012 03:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  But it would be unmanageable. You wouldn't have any consensus on any passage. For every verse you would have to attribute pages of debate and and rebuttal before you could move onto the next verse.

Perhaps the idea would work, however, on specific topics. Like a White Paper Symposium with the different groups you mentioned writing on, say the topic of the atonement or eschatology.

Still, you'd have to figure out who the target audience is. Most atheists or Jews or Muslims wouldn't care to spend much talking about the atonement. Yet you could get at least 15 different theories from 5 different Christians.

Now, I could see a commentary being written by Catholics, Wesleyans, Calvinists, Pentecostals, Baptists and a smattering of Jesus Seminar type "liberals."
That would probably be more useful to the Christian reading the Bible than wondering what an atheist would say about it. Here's the atheist commentary on any verse in the Bible: It's all a load of bullshit.

Most importantly about this thread: why the fuck are you using the KJV? It's source manuscripts are too corrupted to be a valid rendering of the literature.
Well, the project isn't exactly a commentary to discuss theology. It's more of what a group of people think about certain passages in the Bible. It's more or less an expanded version of BC's critique.

Also, it's my old Bible. I never use KJV anymore. I happened to look at it and remembered it had a commentary. I actually never use physical Bibles anymore. I only use the digital versions of the NASB and YLT.

03-05-2012, 03:59 PM
(03-05-2012 03:03 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Most importantly about this thread: why the fuck are you using the KJV? It's source manuscripts are too corrupted to be a valid rendering of the literature.
There goes ol' Erxomai again, pissing on King James. Leave the poor sap alone. It's not his fault that he and all his translators were born in the stupid ages.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user