Had to go to church last sunday...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Had to go to church last sunday...
Last weekend I had to go to church because someone on the family died a year ago and was like a "commemoration" (or whatever you call it in english).

It was the first time in more than a year that I go to church, at first I started wondering "why so much effort in avoiding criticism?" then I started asking myself questions that led one to another, and finally a couple months ago I decided what I already knew from a long time ago: I dont beleive "God" exists (in any kind or form, until there is proof enough to convince me).

I was sitting next to my mom, most of the time I was wondering "How do people believe all this?" and the rest I was trying to "play along". No one on my family knows I am an atheist, only a cousin. Not even my closest friends (yet).

Im usually bad with emotions, and I dont know if I do a bad thing "playing along" just to not look like a bad person on my highly catholic family and not making my mother worry for me (she is a very sensitive person and I dont want to make her feel bad).

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SomeOne's post
09-10-2012, 07:00 AM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2012 07:03 AM by Ozzie.)
RE: Had to go to church last sunday...
I suspect you are probably not the only person in that church that was playing along. And judging from the Clergy Project, you never know, maybe even the pastor was playing along. Tongue

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
[+] 5 users Like Ozzie's post
09-10-2012, 07:10 AM
(09-10-2012 07:00 AM)Ozzie Wrote:  I suspect you are probably not the only person in that church that was playing along. And judging from the Clergy Project, you never know, maybe even the pastor was playing along. Tongue

Who knows, if there was a way for people in that situation to identify each other it would be interesting, that way one could know how many people were there actually believing all that the priest said Tongue

09-10-2012, 07:18 AM
(09-10-2012 07:10 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 07:00 AM)Ozzie Wrote:  I suspect you are probably not the only person in that church that was playing along. And judging from the Clergy Project, you never know, maybe even the pastor was playing along. Tongue

Who knows, if there was a way for people in that situation to identify each other it would be interesting, that way one could know how many people were there actually believing all that the priest said Tongue

Are you saying we need to come up with a secret atheist handshake?
[+] 3 users Like Superluminal's post
09-10-2012, 07:19 AM
If I were "forced" to attend church, I'd bring along a few like minded friends and do a little.....

[Image: mstchurch.jpg]

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 5 users Like LostLocke's post
09-10-2012, 07:23 AM
(09-10-2012 07:18 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  Are you saying we need to come up with a secret atheist handshake?

Not that we "need to", but should be useful

09-10-2012, 07:29 AM
(09-10-2012 07:23 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 07:18 AM)Superluminal Wrote:  Are you saying we need to come up with a secret atheist handshake?

Not that we "need to", but should be useful

Keep it simple though. Some of us can't even put together ready-to-assemble furniture without ending with 5 extra pieces despite trying to follow directions carefully. So for our sake, the simpler the handshake the better. Big Grin

Stop the itchy blanket of Creationism from spreading to our classrooms. Say no to Iron Age superstitions Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Ozzie's post
09-10-2012, 07:43 AM
(09-10-2012 07:29 AM)Ozzie Wrote:  Keep it simple though. Some of us can't even put together ready-to-assemble furniture without ending with 5 extra pieces despite trying to follow directions carefully. So for our sake, the simpler the handshake the better. Big Grin

Maybe somebody here can come up with some ideas

09-10-2012, 09:29 AM
(09-10-2012 07:43 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 07:29 AM)Ozzie Wrote:  Keep it simple though. Some of us can't even put together ready-to-assemble furniture without ending with 5 extra pieces despite trying to follow directions carefully. So for our sake, the simpler the handshake the better. Big Grin

Maybe somebody here can come up with some ideas
It should be one of those multiple movement types (bump knuckles, high five, shake 4 or 5 different ways, etc.) and should last an hour or so in order to fill the whole service time. Tongue

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
09-10-2012, 09:33 AM
(09-10-2012 06:53 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  Last weekend I had to go to church because someone on the family died a year ago and was like a "commemoration" (or whatever you call it in english).

It was the first time in more than a year that I go to church, at first I started wondering "why so much effort in avoiding criticism?" then I started asking myself questions that led one to another, and finally a couple months ago I decided what I already knew from a long time ago: I dont beleive "God" exists (in any kind or form, until there is proof enough to convince me).

I was sitting next to my mom, most of the time I was wondering "How do people believe all this?" and the rest I was trying to "play along". No one on my family knows I am an atheist, only a cousin. Not even my closest friends (yet).

Im usually bad with emotions, and I dont know if I do a bad thing "playing along" just to not look like a bad person on my highly catholic family and not making my mother worry for me (she is a very sensitive person and I dont want to make her feel bad).
I have done the same thing to a point when I have attended Catholic mass weddings or funerals. I did not genuflect, receive communion, or recite the prayers, but I did most other things to avoid being disrespectful. I even knelt although I hated doing it.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair