Had to go to church last sunday...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2012, 09:35 AM
RE: Had to go to church last sunday...
(09-10-2012 07:29 AM)Ozzie Wrote:  Keep it simple though. Some of us can't even put together ready-to-assemble furniture without ending with 5 extra pieces despite trying to follow directions carefully. So for our sake, the simpler the handshake the better. Big Grin
With that in mind, I nominate the Psych fist bump...
[Image: psych_snl.jpg]

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
09-10-2012, 09:42 AM
(09-10-2012 09:33 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 06:53 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  Last weekend I had to go to church because someone on the family died a year ago and was like a "commemoration" (or whatever you call it in english).

It was the first time in more than a year that I go to church, at first I started wondering "why so much effort in avoiding criticism?" then I started asking myself questions that led one to another, and finally a couple months ago I decided what I already knew from a long time ago: I dont beleive "God" exists (in any kind or form, until there is proof enough to convince me).

I was sitting next to my mom, most of the time I was wondering "How do people believe all this?" and the rest I was trying to "play along". No one on my family knows I am an atheist, only a cousin. Not even my closest friends (yet).

Im usually bad with emotions, and I dont know if I do a bad thing "playing along" just to not look like a bad person on my highly catholic family and not making my mother worry for me (she is a very sensitive person and I dont want to make her feel bad).
I have done the same thing to a point when I have attended Catholic mass weddings or funerals. I did not genuflect, receive communion, or recite the prayers, but I did most other things to avoid being disrespectful. I even knelt although I hated doing it.

It was the first time in a long time that I went to church, and of course the first time since Im an atheist. It was weird, but at least while listening to the priest I felt good that I dont believe all that anymore.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
09-10-2012, 09:44 AM
(09-10-2012 06:53 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  Last weekend I had to go to church because someone on the family died a year ago and was like a "commemoration" (or whatever you call it in english).

It was the first time in more than a year that I go to church, at first I started wondering "why so much effort in avoiding criticism?" then I started asking myself questions that led one to another, and finally a couple months ago I decided what I already knew from a long time ago: I dont beleive "God" exists (in any kind or form, until there is proof enough to convince me).

I was sitting next to my mom, most of the time I was wondering "How do people believe all this?" and the rest I was trying to "play along". No one on my family knows I am an atheist, only a cousin. Not even my closest friends (yet).

Im usually bad with emotions, and I dont know if I do a bad thing "playing along" just to not look like a bad person on my highly catholic family and not making my mother worry for me (she is a very sensitive person and I dont want to make her feel bad).

There's nothing wrong with going to a church to pay your respects to the family of the person who died. Don't look at it as playing along, it's a social ritual dealing with death and not the time to take a stand...let people grieve. Not the right time to upset people about other issues.

Most of us have done the wedding and funeral thing in religious settings out of respect for others that matter to us.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
09-10-2012, 09:48 AM
(09-10-2012 09:44 AM)Anjele Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with going to a church to pay your respects to the family of the person who died. Don't look at it as playing along, it's a social ritual dealing with death and not the time to take a stand...let people grieve. Not the right time to upset people about other issues.

Most of us have done the wedding and funeral thing in religious settings out of respect for others that matter to us.

I guess you're right...

By the way, I didnt mention that my brother (who is from a protestant church) refused to go just because it was a catholic church.

09-10-2012, 11:40 AM
(09-10-2012 09:48 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:44 AM)Anjele Wrote:  There's nothing wrong with going to a church to pay your respects to the family of the person who died. Don't look at it as playing along, it's a social ritual dealing with death and not the time to take a stand...let people grieve. Not the right time to upset people about other issues.

I guess you're right...

By the way, I didnt mention that my brother (who is from a protestant church) refused to go just because it was a catholic church.

Religion poisons everything.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-10-2012, 11:49 AM
(09-10-2012 09:48 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  

I guess you're right...

Ya can't trust those sneaky damn Catholics!

I grew up as one and found out later that we aren't to be trusted by the other "Christians" out there...

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
09-10-2012, 11:57 AM
My brothers and sisters are like that Mary Tyler Moore episode where she bursts out laughing at the funeral. . We just look at each other and start laughing. We are not "safe" with each other at funerals. Tongue

Every time they say "god". just pull out your iPod, and stick it in your Google "translate" function :

It really means, in 2012 : "the best that is in me, and the best that is in you, and all of us". Nothing more.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
09-10-2012, 12:05 PM
(09-10-2012 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My brothers and sisters are like that Mary Tyler Moore episode where she bursts out laughing at the funeral. . We just look at each other and start laughing. We are not "safe" with each other at funerals. Tongue

Every time they say "god". just pull out your iPod, and stick it in your Google "translate" function :

It really means, in 2012 : "the best that is in me, and the best that is in you, and all of us". Nothing more.

My three brothers did the giggle thing (in the front row) at my wedding.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 12:11 PM
(09-10-2012 09:42 AM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 09:33 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I have done the same thing to a point when I have attended Catholic mass weddings or funerals. I did not genuflect, receive communion, or recite the prayers, but I did most other things to avoid being disrespectful. I even knelt although I hated doing it.

It was the first time in a long time that I went to church, and of course the first time since Im an atheist. It was weird, but at least while listening to the priest I felt good that I dont believe all that anymore.

I felt the same way while at church about a year ago. It's a weird feeling to be somewhere and thinking that everything the speaker is saying is bull.

I ate the eleven Hunters before me Smile
[+] 1 user Likes TwelfthHunter's post
09-10-2012, 12:13 PM
(09-10-2012 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My brothers and sisters are like that Mary Tyler Moore episode where she bursts out laughing at the funeral. . We just look at each other and start laughing. We are not "safe" with each other at funerals. Tongue

I was actually about to laugh a couple times, but in general I just listened pantiently. There was a moment when the priest said that we should not pray for suffering to stop, but instead pray for patience and strenght, since all the suffering in the world is part of "God's plan". When he said that, I wanted to stand up and say something but, you know, it would be very disrespectful to the ceremony and all my family members who were there.