Had to go to church last sunday...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-10-2012, 12:44 PM
RE: Had to go to church last sunday...
I've only been inside a Catholic church once - for my great grandmother's funeral.

It was in a dark, eternally-overcast town that sits in the bottom of a valley. The church was apparently built when the town was founded, so it's about a hundred or so years old. The inside was made entirely of (cold) stone and the ceiling towered high above the big, creaky wooden benches that lined the main hall. The preist looked like he was the first one at the place when it was built, and his voice echoed through the whole building as he spoke.

Even for a guy like me; it was a truly creepy place. My heart goes out to those who had to endure a place like that every Sunday while also being fondled. lol

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2012, 01:06 PM
(09-10-2012 12:13 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  
(09-10-2012 11:57 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  My brothers and sisters are like that Mary Tyler Moore episode where she bursts out laughing at the funeral. . We just look at each other and start laughing. We are not "safe" with each other at funerals. Tongue

Every time they say "god". just pull out your iPod, and stick it in your Google "translate" function :

It really means, in 2012 : "the best that is in me, and the best that is in you, and all of us". Nothing more.

I was actually about to laugh a couple times, but in general I just listened pantiently. There was a moment when the priest said that we should not pray for suffering to stop, but instead pray for patience and strenght, since all the suffering in the world is part of "God's plan". When he said that, I wanted to stand up and say something but, you know, it would be very disrespectful to the ceremony and all my family members who were there.

I do understand that. My experience with religion is from the far left, and continues to be from there. I do understand that not so far from the very liberal side of the Episcopal church, things get really crazy, really quickly. One of my aunt's nun friends belongs to an order that is SO liberal, they let her go to a Native American "Earth" ceremony instead of Mass on Sunday, (this past Summer they were talking about "the church beyond, or after Jesus" (!!) .. so I just see it all from a very different perspective than almost everyone else, who has to deal with the insane fundi bullshit. But I've seen it enough, I just say "you can't scare me".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating Yogi, CAAT-LY.
Assistant Manager, Vice Detection, Whoville : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
09-10-2012, 02:23 PM
By the way, I didnt mention that my brother (who is from a protestant church) refused to go just because it was a catholic church.
[/quote]

This is so telling when it comes to the religious mind. By the way, maybe he is an atheist too and it was a convenient excuse to get out of going.
09-10-2012, 09:20 PM
(09-10-2012 02:23 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  This is so telling when it comes to the religious mind. By the way, maybe he is an atheist too and it was a convenient excuse to get out of going.

I dont think he is an atheist because he seems to take his religion very seriously. I do believe he has some doubts about god, but is too much in love with religion to accept that. He actually left catholicism by doubting and criticizing it, so who knows? I hope that someday he will criticize enough to be sure that what he believes is what he truly believes.

But it would be an excelent excuse anyway Tongue

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism