Hail the Mighty Llama

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
RE: Hail the Mighty Llama
Oh hey, the Great and Wonderful Alpaca is one of the Lesser Gods.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-12-2012, 04:27 PM
(02-12-2012 04:00 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-12-2012 02:47 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  We have 2 llamas. They only spit at strangers when they're frightened, (or mad). I also could worship llamas.
They do look quite chilly though when they get their wooly sweaters cut. But they keep our few sheeps, (the "ships") safe from things like dogs and coyotes. I don't pray to them, but they like me anyway. They like treats like carrots, and one likes apple slices. They do NOT like the 2 ostriches, so we keep them far away from each other. We thought mama-llama was preggers, this past year, but no.

Sometimes you can't see it much. You know they carry for 11 months, right? And they are only receptive right after birth = geez! Have you ever seen them give birth? They keep right on walking, and the baby Llama head comes out and looks around for quite a while before it decides to push on out of there. Then mama won't clean it, the sack broke while the head came out and since the baby falls quite a ways to the ground, usually everything comes off easily for the baby. It's a mess though, we used to towel them off while mama went off to have sex. It's kinda dangerous for the baby (or anyone) when mama has sex, so we used to hold on to it til they were done mating.

Mine have outlived the herd of sheep they used to protect.
No. I didn't know that. The vet didn't say much, just that she wasn't pregnant. He said when it happens, he will have to attend the birth...I suspect for the reasons you mention. We now have a few goats integrated into the group. They get along ok. But one of the neighbors dogs hates the goats for some reason. The llamas keep them safe too, (we think). My little brother feeds them all the treats. He's like the pied -piper to all the non-horse critters. Even the rabbits eat of his hand. My mom raises the hosses.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Thanks to Dr. Doolittle, 3 year old Erxomai thought they had two heads.

[Image: pushmepullme.gif]

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
(02-12-2012 04:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Thanks to Dr. Doolittle, 3 year old Erxomai thought they had two heads.

[Image: pushmepullme.gif]

Hm. 2 heads. Quite a uh, concept....how novel.... {ahem}

Think I'll go now...

Blush

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Here is a pic of a Llama birthing:

[Image: llama.jpg]

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-12-2012, 11:44 PM
That's exactly what horses look like at birth. Spindly legs first.

Political skeptic .. if there is a bad reason something bad might have happened, you can bet your ass, that's why it happened.
03-12-2012, 06:36 AM
Thing is that they usually take a break at this time, at least mine did. She'd go grazing and the baby wakes up all the way and lifts it's head and looks around and scopes the place out before deciding to push on. At this time the other Llamas come to meet the new guy also, before he comes out all the way. It looks hilarious. I bet that's where the image of the double headed Llama comes from originally.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
05-12-2012, 09:10 PM
(02-12-2012 04:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. I didn't know that. The vet didn't say much, just that she wasn't pregnant. He said when it happens, he will have to attend the birth...I suspect for the reasons you mention. We now have a few goats integrated into the group. They get along ok. But one of the neighbors dogs hates the goats for some reason. The llamas keep them safe too, (we think). My little brother feeds them all the treats. He's like the pied -piper to all the non-horse critters. Even the rabbits eat of his hand. My mom raises the hosses.
You have horses? I am so jealous! What kind of horses do you have?
I used to take riding lessons in Rancho Bernardo. It's now a golf course Sad
Lamas are kind of neat. I've never really known one before.
When I'm starting a new knitting project I always wish I could get some of the alpaca skeins. Too pricey.
05-12-2012, 09:34 PM
(05-12-2012 09:10 PM)Noelani Wrote:  
(02-12-2012 04:27 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. I didn't know that. The vet didn't say much, just that she wasn't pregnant. He said when it happens, he will have to attend the birth...I suspect for the reasons you mention. We now have a few goats integrated into the group. They get along ok. But one of the neighbors dogs hates the goats for some reason. The llamas keep them safe too, (we think). My little brother feeds them all the treats. He's like the pied -piper to all the non-horse critters. Even the rabbits eat of his hand. My mom raises the hosses.
You have horses? I am so jealous! What kind of horses do you have?
I used to take riding lessons in Rancho Bernardo. It's now a golf course Sad
Lamas are kind of neat. I've never really known one before.
When I'm starting a new knitting project I always wish I could get some of the alpaca skeins. Too pricey.

We have lots of hosses. My mom raises them. It's her business. Thoroughbreds, and Quarter Horses.
Sometimes, I hear, you can find alpaca wool in the shops over near Borrego, for cheap, or over near the small desert towns.
Sometimes on sale on eBay ? http://www.foothillsyarn.com/products/pl...ltimo.html