Haircuts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Haircuts
Ya girl needs a hair cut soon. I get a hair cut every six months or so... So yeah, twice a year. Usually when my bangs are no longer bangs and my split ends are dying because they're, well, already pretty dead.

Anyways, I've gone through some really nightmare-ish hair phases, but some really good hair phases as well. I've been through a vast collection of colors in the book (black, dark brown (light brown being my natural), blonde, red), as well as several hair styles short and long- some accidental, some... a nasty "phase."

Well, now it's at the point where I have no bangs at all, and I'd like some- or, to try a different form of bangs. For a while I've had side/blended in bangs. In the past I had a full side sweep over my forehead, and gosh that was a NASTY phase. I had a mullet the entire year and I thought I was so cool. I really wish someone would've friggin told me I looked like a Justin Bieber/Billy Ray Cyrus jerk off.

I will refrain from posting pictures and embarrassing myself further on the internet.

No

Lately, I've been really attracted to fringe bangs. But I worry about getting them for myself, considering

1.) I've never attempted to pull them off, and I worry about how I'd look with them. I don't want to look 12, and I don't want to screw up my hair. I've made quite a few mistakes with haircuts (bangs in general) in the past. Before high school, I attempted cutting my bangs myself (you can probably assume where this is going) and I ended up having to get all of my hair chopped off. Yep. I poorly wore a pixie/bob cut throughout my first year of high school. My self esteem hit the floor until my hair grew out.

2.) The last time I had bangs, I had a fucking emo, cry-baby mullet. I also bleached my bangs and my hair stayed somewhat short/shoulder length for the longest amount of time. Even when my hair grew out a bit, the mullet continued to thrive... and why my "good" friends allowed me to continue with such a monstrosity on my head, I still friggin hate them for it. My point being, I don't want to cut my bangs into something that's going to turn out atrociously...

Regardless, the kind of fringe I want/like is hard to clearly explain. I don't even know if it's possible to achieve.

"I want a full fringe, but not too full."

Luckily, I always bring pictures in whenever my hair dresser (there's only one lady I trust) cuts my hair, but I don't even think pictures will do my idea justice...

I really like full, somewhat-heavy fringes, that I could either wear neatly or even a bit messy (more preferably neat):

[Image: 5483a28922077a095dca40cecdcf4132.jpg]

But I'd also like bangs that I could occasionally shove out of my face:

[Image: e90700c056963caf8e8b4af9d6df5e27.jpg]

Zooey Deschanel and Taylor Swift provide some nice examples:

[Image: Zooey+Deschanel+Novelty+Sunglasses+Neon+...03cULl.jpg]

[Image: taylor-swift-hair-ama-2010-.jpg]

The Kardashian's provide bad examples. If I did get a fringe, I wouldn't want it to be gappy and gross:

[Image: sev-bangs-kylie-jenner-jy0JyX-lgn.jpg]

[Image: 300713-kim-kardashian-fringe-de.jpg]

So obviously, some people can pull off fringes, and some seriously can't. So here I am faced with a decision, should I take the risk to look super cute, or take the risk to look like a six year old with a mullet?

Frusty

ANYWAYS, some advice would be nice, but also feel free to share your own haircut/hair style stories, and pictures even, if you'd like. Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-02-2014, 06:44 PM
RE: Haircuts
You could shave one or both sides and keep the top long. Add some vibrant color or even blonde, and style it kinda funky.

If you have enough hair, you could part it from anywhere closer to the non shaved side to cover the shaved side if you don't want to work it on a particular day.

Maybe its not your thing, but I think its brave, stylish, and attractive. Seen various lengths for the shaved side from stubble through to maybe an inch.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
05-02-2014, 06:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2014 06:59 PM by GirlyMan.)
I don't even know what the fuck bangs are, but as a pragmatist, Girly'd go with low maintenance.
[Image: sinead.jpg]

Although the disheveled look can be quite sexy as well and is equally low maintenance.
[Image: nolte.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
05-02-2014, 06:57 PM
(05-02-2014 06:44 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  You could shave one or both sides and keep the top long. Add some vibrant color or even blonde, and style it kinda funky.

If you have enough hair, you could part it from anywhere closer to the non shaved side to cover the shaved side if you don't want to work it on a particular day.

Maybe its not your thing, but I think its brave, stylish, and attractive. Seen various lengths for the shaved side from stubble through to maybe an inch.

I've been back and forth with blonde a couple of times. I have blonde on the side of my head right now, which I'm getting rid of. I plan on going for a dark, dark brown- but not quite black.

Side shaving falls under the three hair styles I don't have balls big enough to try (yet)

The "V" or "Heart shaped" bangs (IMO you've got to have the perfect eyebrows):

[Image: tumblr_lrpizd9FdN1qdfyeno1_500.jpg]

and a side shave (which I might have balls to try out once I'm out of high school, buuuuuuuuuuuut......)

[Image: tumblr_lg28bg06G91qa831no1_500.jpg]

and DREADS (I WILL have these one day. Heart )

[Image: tumblr_ltzhbdoYNr1r07zivo1_500.jpg]
05-02-2014, 06:58 PM
The are two drawbacks to bangs, especially with long hair. One is that they need to be maintained so quickly. For people with short hair all over you have to get it all cut frequently anyway so not as big a deal. If you go for long bangs - covering or nearly covering your brows- it seem like it takes about a week before they are already in your eyes. If you have a friend you trust who could trim them frequently or if you can that's a plus. The other bad thing is that crap stage of growing them back out where you can't do a damn thing with them.

But, hell, it'll grow back if you don't like it. If you have thinking about it a lot, then go for it.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
05-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Just for clarification, I meant something like these, but with varying length both on top/sides.

[Image: 0b7ecae97db22906a2d4c40cdf477e99.jpg]
[Image: Short-side-shaved-hair.jpg]

But I suppose it also depends on your face. Can't remember what you look like.

Also, that first picture in the OP: Cool bowtie

EDIT: I see you already posted and knew what I meant.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
05-02-2014, 07:00 PM
(05-02-2014 06:54 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  As a pragmatist, Girly'd go with low maintenance.
[Image: sinead.jpg]

Although the disheveled look can be quite sexy as well and is equally low maintenance.
[Image: nolte.jpg]

I can admit I laughed. I will consider these... Shy
05-02-2014, 07:00 PM
I think you could rock the side shave Ferdi. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-02-2014, 07:04 PM
(05-02-2014 06:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The are two drawbacks to bangs, especially with long hair. One is that they need to be maintained so quickly. For people with short hair all over you have to get it all cut frequently anyway so not as big a deal. If you go for long bangs - covering or nearly covering your brows- it seem like it takes about a week before they are already in your eyes. If you have a friend you trust who could trim them frequently or if you can that's a plus. The other bad thing is that crap stage of growing them back out where you can't do a damn thing with them.

But, hell, it'll grow back if you don't like it. If you have thinking about it a lot, then go for it.

That's the thing, I've played with my hair enough I could probably trim them myself, and even if I chicken out, I have a couple of friends who trim/cut their hair mostly anyways. LoL could even do it for me, she's cut her own fringe in the past, sharpened it up, and it looked nice once it grew out a bit.

Typically, I like my bangs short and shoved to the side anyway (in a sort of blend) so I wouldn't mind them even if they did grow to be too long. Fringe is just something I'd like to experiment with, but I still have my worries.

(05-02-2014 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I think you could rock the side shave Ferdi. Thumbsup

Hell no, I'm not that brave yet, Anj! Sad
05-02-2014, 07:08 PM
(05-02-2014 07:04 PM)Ferdinand Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 06:58 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The are two drawbacks to bangs, especially with long hair. One is that they need to be maintained so quickly. For people with short hair all over you have to get it all cut frequently anyway so not as big a deal. If you go for long bangs - covering or nearly covering your brows- it seem like it takes about a week before they are already in your eyes. If you have a friend you trust who could trim them frequently or if you can that's a plus. The other bad thing is that crap stage of growing them back out where you can't do a damn thing with them.

That's the thing, I've played with my hair enough I could probably trim them myself, and even if I chicken out, I have a couple of friends who trim/cut their hair mostly anyways. LoL could even do it for me, she's cut her own fringe in the past, sharpened it up, and it looked nice once it grew out a bit.

Typically, I like my bangs short and shoved to the side anyway (in a sort of blend) so I wouldn't mind them even if they did grow to be too long. Fringe is just something I'd like to experiment with, but I still have my worries.

(05-02-2014 07:00 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I think you could rock the side shave Ferdi. Thumbsup

Hell no, I'm not that brave yet, Anj! Sad

With a side shave like the first pic that WATC posted, you could move your part closer to the center and cover the shave if you need to. I think you can do it.