Haiti cholera likely from UN troops, expert says

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2010, 07:14 PM

Haiti cholera likely from UN troops, expert says
By JONATHAN M. KATZ, Associated Press Jonathan M. Katz, Associated Press

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – A contingent of U.N. peacekeepers is the likely source of a cholera outbreak in Haiti that has killed at least 2,000 people, a French scientist said in a report obtained Tuesday by The Associated Press.

Epidemiologist Renaud Piarroux concluded that the cholera originated in a tributary of Haiti's Artibonite river, next to a U.N. base outside the town of Mirebalais. He was sent by the French government to assist Haitian health officials in determining the source of the outbreak, a French Foreign Ministry official said Tuesday.

"No other hypothesis could be found to explain the outbreak of a cholera epidemic in this village ... not affected by the earthquake earlier this year and located dozens of kilometers from the coast and (tent) camps," he wrote in a report that has not been publicly released. )More(

Way to go, UN! Can't you just feel the...peace? Tongue Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
07-12-2010, 11:05 PM

RE: Haiti cholera likely from UN troops, expert says
Cholera is in th environment.Cholera bacteria occur naturally in coastal waters.When humans ingest cholera bacteria, they may not become sick themselves, but they still excrete the bacteria in their stool and can pass cholera disease to others through the fecal-oral route. This occurs mainly when human feces contaminates food and water sources.
Most likely the bacteria was in the water, not necessarily because of the near by U.N. base, which no doubt has a closed santitary system. Living conditions in Haiti are primitive in many areas, I have been there, these people are very poor and just trying to get by.
09-01-2011, 08:02 AM

The chlorea strain found in Haiti matches a strain in Southeast Asia where the UN troops originated.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/211074.php

Open and shut case. They brought it with them (they're carriers) and their faeces contaminated the local water supply, up river, spreading the disease, downstream.
10-01-2011, 09:57 AM

did halliburton build the UN camp and latrines??

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Iran deploying troops to Syria I and I 0 185 16-06-2013 05:45 PM
Last Post: I and I