Hajime botnet controls nearly 30,000 devices

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2017, 06:46 AM
Quote:Hajime, a mysterious IoT botnet, now controls almost 300,000 devices, according to a new report by Kaspersky Lab. The report also states that the botnet's true purpose is still unknown.
Kaspersky says the malware, whose name means "beginning" in Japanese, first appeared in October 2016. Since then it has evolved into a decentralized group of compromised machines that discretely perform either spam or DDoS attacks.

Quote:The interesting thing is Hajime does not have an attacking code or capability. It just has a propagation module. It attacks pretty much anything that's connected to the internet. However, it fancies digital video recorders, web-cameras and routers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2017, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 07:27 AM by Shai Hulud.)
RE: Hajime botnet controls nearly 30,000 devices
And this is one of the reasons the webcam on my office phone is covered with tape...not this botnet in particular, just the idea this sort of hijacking of it could happen. Edit: Well, that and not trusting the school administration. Have a friend who got kicked out of a seminary for what his school saw after accessing the webcam on the laptop they issued.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2017, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2017 12:02 PM by Chas.)
Whenever a client says "... and we want it to have a secure connection to the internet..." I just say "No, no such thing exists."
Well, not if you are running commercial software, and especially not if you are running any open-source software. (Yeah, I'm looking at you, Linux nerds.)

If you hook up a medical device or nuclear reactor or vehicle or anything that could be dangerous to the internet, it is a disaster just waiting to happen.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-05-2017, 12:04 PM
(01-05-2017 11:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  Whenever a client says "... and we want it to have a secure connection to the internet..." I just say "No, no such thing exists."

If you hook up a medical device or nuclear reactor or vehicle or anything that could be dangerous to the internet, it is a disaster just waiting to happen.

How to stay safe on the Internet. Cut the cord. lol

But you know... We can't really do that now can we? So... what do you do, you got hackers trying to steal from ya, and government trying to enslave you. Only real choice is to educate yourself, you can never be 100% safe, just get it as safe as you can through proactive defense and good on-line habits.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
01-05-2017, 04:58 PM
That is why my webcam faces a wall when it is not in use (and why it is not and never has been in use for "those" things) Tongue

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
01-05-2017, 05:10 PM
I haven't heard hajime in a few years. When I studied Judo we would stand towards each other, bow, grab the gi, and the sensei would yell Hajime!

That means kick each other's ass.