Halal and Kosher Slaughter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2014, 07:17 AM
Halal and Kosher Slaughter
Sorry in advance. I found the video deeply disturbing but I made myself continue watching it so I could remember what it means the next time I see a sandwich being sold in the shops which specifies Halal or Kosher slaughter.

What really gets me angry though is that companies will choose this method of slaughter because it saves on costs. All the hard fought gains in animal rights are negated because of Bronze age sensibilities and dogma. My money could have fed the profits of companies using this method of slaughter without me even knowing about it.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=545_1345800806
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2014, 07:24 AM
RE: Halal and Kosher Slaughter
Sorry I can't bring myself to watch it, I feel I should but I can't. I used to work for an animal rescue charity so I know only too well the suffering humans inflict on animals whether it is in the name a religion or not. My respect for Norway went up (not that it was particularly down...or across for that matter) when they recently banned kosher and halal slaughter methods and argued that they are unethical and that religious rights do not come before animal rights. Go Norway!!

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
12-03-2014, 07:28 AM
(12-03-2014 07:24 AM)Eva Wrote:  Sorry I can't bring myself to watch it, I feel I should but I can't. I used to work for an animal rescue charity so I know only too well the suffering humans inflict on animals whether it is in the name a religion or not. My respect for Norway went up (not that it was particularly down...or across for that matter) when they recently banned kosher and halal slaughter methods and argued that they are unethical and that religious rights do not come before animal rights. Go Norway!!

I completely understand. I wanted to stop watching it half-way through.

(Even more) Respect to Norway!
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
12-03-2014, 10:02 AM
For anyone living in the UK interested, there's a petition going around at the moment with the aim of banning Halal slaughter. They need less than 5,000 more signatures.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/th...ed-kingdom
12-03-2014, 06:09 PM
(12-03-2014 07:24 AM)Eva Wrote:  Sorry I can't bring myself to watch it, I feel I should but I can't. I used to work for an animal rescue charity so I know only too well the suffering humans inflict on animals whether it is in the name a religion or not. My respect for Norway went up (not that it was particularly down...or across for that matter) when they recently banned kosher and halal slaughter methods and argued that they are unethical and that religious rights do not come before animal rights. Go Norway!!
Denmark has also banned halal and kosher slaughter.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/...35580.html

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
13-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Thanks for the link Mathilda. I've signed the petition. They only need 3000-ish now so I'm sure it'll reach its target pretty soon.

And go Denmark!! Clap

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
13-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Just out of curiosity, do all the people signing this petition believe that the non-Halal methods for slaughtering animals is more humane? Did any of you who are now outraged even think to check it out and compare it? Or did you go straight to condemning this one group based only on this video?

I'm no expert on the beef industry, but I strongly suspect that any enterprise that is slaughtering animals wholesale is not spending a lot of time worrying about minimizing the cruelty or horror for the animals. So, unless you are a vegetarian, whether you eat kosher or not, I think you are part of the problem.

What's next? Protesting lions for how they kill antelope?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 2 users Like BnW's post
13-03-2014, 08:34 AM
(13-03-2014 08:25 AM)BnW Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, do all the people signing this petition believe that the non-Halal methods for slaughtering animals is more humane? Did any of you who are now outraged even think to check it out and compare it? Or did you go straight to condemning this one group based only on this video?

You mean this one video that starts by showing how quickly a cow is killed using non-Halal methods?
13-03-2014, 08:36 AM
(13-03-2014 08:25 AM)BnW Wrote:  Just out of curiosity, do all the people signing this petition believe that the non-Halal methods for slaughtering animals is more humane?

I'm only speaking for me but yes.

Quote:Did any of you who are now outraged even think to check it out and compare it?

Yes.

Quote:Or did you go straight to condemning this one group based only on this video?

No.
13-03-2014, 08:38 AM
I think all/most slaughter houses in the UK are pretty dreadful places which is why my daughter is vegetarian and I am predominantly (wish I could give up the occasional bacon sandwich but it's soooo hard to do). But at least, by law, they are required to stun the animal before slaughter so they are pretty out of it when the end comes. Whether they do this all the time or in any effective way is another matter but the law is there and can be enforced when they are found to be in violation of it. However, this is not a legal requirement for kosher or halal because it is deemed a religious practice.

[+] 1 user Likes Eva's post