"Half" Jewish / "Part" Jewish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: "Half" Jewish / "Part" Jewish
(25-10-2015 06:43 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I've now heard TWO people at my work say they were half or part Jewish. Since I'm at work, I don't talk about religion, politics, etc. but I'm dying to know what this means. Anyone ever run into someone like this? What do they believe? Is it more of a...."I don't give a shit, my moms Jew, dads xtian. I don't think about it", type of thing? Or do they have specific beliefs?

You either buy it or you don't. It's not a heritage; like 25% Irish 35% Italian and 40% German lol ....so what do they mean by "half" Jewish?

I'm a halfie, and yes it is heritage, Judaism is an ethnic religion.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-10-2015, 12:34 PM
(25-10-2015 06:49 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  "Jewish" can refer either to a heritage or a religion.

This is pretty much it. My wife is half Jewish and half Irish - ethnically/culturally. Our kids are 1/4 Jewish, like Harrison Ford, lol. We're raising our kids to understand the customs, insofar as they get presents and eat potato pancakes at Hanukkah and we have a Seder meal with matzoh ball soup on Passover at their grandparents' house, but we don't do the prayers. To Ben, being Jewish is sort of like being Irish, it's more about the food you eat and your sense of humor than anything else, and I'm cool with that. I want my kids to know what being Jewish is, as far as the culture, I think that's important. Just like if they were part Sioux or any other race that was nearly wiped off the face of the planet - I want them to know that they're Jews, at least a little bit, whether or not they believe or practice Judaism.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
26-10-2015, 06:14 PM
"Half" Jewish / "Part" Jewish
(25-10-2015 02:57 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 02:14 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That is soooooo unfair. You had it all.

A friend invited us over for Hanukkah one year. The food was amazing! Who knew you can have so much fun without pig!

Nothing better, or more sacrilegious -- than bacon wrapped matzo balls.....

Big Grin

Mmm and I love matzo balls

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes smileXsmileXsmile's post
26-10-2015, 08:19 PM
(26-10-2015 09:05 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(25-10-2015 04:58 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Oddly enough, very few Jewish communities throughout the world were founded by female Jews. Y chromosomal evidence suggests Jewish men married into non-Jewish populations. This means the "Jewishness" was passed on biologically via the father.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC379128/

According to mainstream Judaism, Jewishness is never passed on through the father. Only the house is passed down along the male line. Anyone can convert to Judaism, and they're 100% Jewish once they convert. Jewishness cannot be conclusively determined by mtDNA, but it's never determined by the male (in mainstream Judaism, as accepted by the state of Israel.)

If a handful of men broke off and wandered up to Europe, then all they needed to do was convince a few of the local ladies to adopt the Jewish lifestyle and BAM! The Jewish community is up and running. Goodness, even King David was the descendant of a convert. Joshua married a convert, Moses married a Midianite, and Joseph married an Egyptian. The story is telling us that we can expect to see discrepancies in the female line. We should not be able to find significant discrepancies in the Davidic or Kohanim (priestly) line.

I mentioned converts in one of my previous posts above.

"For instance, Abraham ben Yiju, a noted 12th-century Egyptian Jewish merchant, manumitted a Hindu slave girl a month after his arrival to India and took her as his bride. The resulting offspring should not have been considered Jewish since the mother wasn’t of Jewish blood, yet they were recognized as such simply because she had entered into the religion as a convert."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
26-10-2015, 08:41 PM
(26-10-2015 08:19 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 09:05 AM)Aliza Wrote:  According to mainstream Judaism, Jewishness is never passed on through the father. Only the house is passed down along the male line. Anyone can convert to Judaism, and they're 100% Jewish once they convert. Jewishness cannot be conclusively determined by mtDNA, but it's never determined by the male (in mainstream Judaism, as accepted by the state of Israel.)

If a handful of men broke off and wandered up to Europe, then all they needed to do was convince a few of the local ladies to adopt the Jewish lifestyle and BAM! The Jewish community is up and running. Goodness, even King David was the descendant of a convert. Joshua married a convert, Moses married a Midianite, and Joseph married an Egyptian. The story is telling us that we can expect to see discrepancies in the female line. We should not be able to find significant discrepancies in the Davidic or Kohanim (priestly) line.

I mentioned converts in one of my previous posts above.

"For instance, Abraham ben Yiju, a noted 12th-century Egyptian Jewish merchant, manumitted a Hindu slave girl a month after his arrival to India and took her as his bride. The resulting offspring should not have been considered Jewish since the mother wasn’t of Jewish blood, yet they were recognized as such simply because she had entered into the religion as a convert."

The mother being of "Jewish blood" is inconsequential. The resulting offspring would be Jewish if the girl converted to Judaism. Any daughters resulting from that union would also carry down the Jewish line to their children. If the girl did not convert, then the offspring would be gentile. Mainstream Judaism holds that a person is either 100% Jewish or 100% Gentile. There are no hybrids, and the line goes through the mother, not the father.

This really isn't something that we can trace through DNA because we can't know the genetic information for every woman throughout the entirety of Jewish history who converted to the religion.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
26-10-2015, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 09:04 PM by ghostexorcist.)
(26-10-2015 08:41 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 08:19 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I mentioned converts in one of my previous posts above.

The mother being of "Jewish blood" is inconsequential. The resulting offspring would be Jewish if the girl converted to Judaism. Any daughters resulting from that union would also carry down the Jewish line to their children. If the girl did not convert, then the offspring would be gentile. Mainstream Judaism holds that a person is either 100% Jewish or 100% Gentile. There are no hybrids, and the line goes through the mother, not the father.

This really isn't something that we can trace through DNA because we can't know the genetic information for every woman throughout the entirety of Jewish history who converted to the religion.

Go back and read the original quoted text. It was my reply to someone on a history forum who didn't think a particular group of Jews in ancient China were actually Jewish. The point I made was that their offspring were Jewish (apart from other factors) because the mothers had converted.

If I remember correctly, a religious court was convened to decide whether or not Abraham's ben Yiju's children should have been considered Jewish. I believe this took place when he returned home to Egypt after having lived in India for over a decade.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
26-10-2015, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2015 09:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(26-10-2015 08:41 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Mainstream Judaism holds that a person is either 100% Jewish or 100% Gentile. There are no hybrids, and the line goes through the mother, not the father.

What % was Mr. Bojangles? What does it mean to convert to Judaism?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-10-2015, 09:23 PM
(26-10-2015 09:05 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 08:41 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Mainstream Judaism holds that a person is either 100% Jewish or 100% Gentile. There are no hybrids, and the line goes through the mother, not the father.

What % was Mr. Bojangles? What does it mean to convert to Judaism?

100% Big Grin I'm very proud to count him in the tribe.

Conversion means different things in different generations, but there is a theme that holds true through all of them. A convert adopts Jewish culture, religion and practices and lives among other Jews as though he or she was a native-born Jew.

Once a person converts, they're considered Jewish by the rest of the Jewish community for the rest of their lives whether they like it or not. They will remain Jewish even if they later decide to start worshipping Jesus.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
26-10-2015, 09:28 PM
My entire live for plenty of reasons I've often been assumed or refereed to as jewish. So I'm a Semi-Semite

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
26-10-2015, 09:32 PM
(25-10-2015 06:43 AM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  I've now heard TWO people at my work say they were half or part Jewish. Since I'm at work, I don't talk about religion, politics, etc. but I'm dying to know what this means. Anyone ever run into someone like this? What do they believe? Is it more of a...."I don't give a shit, my moms Jew, dads xtian. I don't think about it", type of thing? Or do they have specific beliefs?

You either buy it or you don't. It's not a heritage; like 25% Irish 35% Italian and 40% German lol ....so what do they mean by "half" Jewish?

It means they get to take holidays whenever the Jewish people and/or the Jebus people have holidays.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.