"Half" Jewish / "Part" Jewish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2015, 10:25 PM
RE: "Half" Jewish / "Part" Jewish
(26-10-2015 10:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I thought if she had children before her conversion they weren't Jewish, but any children after were.

Of course in 50 or 100 years who the hell would remember.?!

You're absolutely correct. Only the children born after the conversion are Jewish. Well spotted, Moms.

-Exactly, if the family assimilates, then there is no proof that they have Jewish heritage 50 or 100 years down the line. These cases can be very difficult to prove. -Of course, people can always reconvert; it's just a pain in the neck.

This is all very interesting.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
26-10-2015, 10:31 PM
(26-10-2015 10:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  You're absolutely correct. Only the children born after the conversion are Jewish. Well spotted, Moms.

-Exactly, if the family assimilates, then there is no proof that they have Jewish heritage 50 or 100 years down the line. These cases can be very difficult to prove. -Of course, people can always reconvert; it's just a pain in the neck.

This is all very interesting.

Well it's like Chas was saying. These may seem like arbitrary rules, and it's not exactly like we have a trademark on the word "Jewish".

Anyone can call themselves Jewish. Look at the Hebrew Roots movement, or the Mormons. -It's just that the rest of the Jewish world won't recognize them as such.
26-10-2015, 10:33 PM
(26-10-2015 10:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I thought if she had children before her conversion they weren't Jewish, but any children after were.

Of course in 50 or 100 years who the hell would remember.?!

You're absolutely correct. Only the children born after the conversion are Jewish. Well spotted, Moms.

I've got a friend she's not Jewish and married a Jew. They have kids. The kids had to convert. But it was relatively easy (conservative Judaism). They go to a Jewish school (it's pretty secular) and she keeps a kosher home with her mother in law's help.

She joked about forgetting to turn the light off in the fridge one Friday. Smile

Couldn't touch anything until Saturday night.

She said the only time that leaves her completely broken is the cleaning for Passover.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
26-10-2015, 10:51 PM
(26-10-2015 10:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-10-2015 10:22 PM)Aliza Wrote:  You're absolutely correct. Only the children born after the conversion are Jewish. Well spotted, Moms.

I've got a friend she's not Jewish and married a Jew. They have kids. The kids had to convert. But it was relatively easy (conservative Judaism). They go to a Jewish school (it's pretty secular) and she keeps a kosher home with her mother in law's help.

She joked about forgetting to turn the light off in the fridge one Friday. Smile

Couldn't touch anything until Saturday night.

She said the only time that leaves her completely broken is the cleaning for Passover.

Passover is insane. Every year, about a month before the holiday starts, I declare that I'm Sephardic so I don't have to observe the holiday as the Ashkenazi do.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
26-10-2015, 11:42 PM
(26-10-2015 09:28 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  ...
I'm a Semi-Semite

So you're Jew-ish.

Smile

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post