Halloween annoyance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Halloween annoyance
I finally bought a couple bags of Halloween candy.

Few kids came to our door, but two of them had special "gifts" for me.

The first was a little boy who handed out a little pumpkin shaped peice of paper with a bible passage from Corinthians printed on it. Asking me if I knew the light of Jebus or whatever.

The second was a little girl who handed me a picture of Jebus that said he loved me.

After that second group left I shut off the porch light.

I don't know why this annoyed me, but I found it deeply offensive.

I don't care at all about people's religious beliefs -- I always assume most have them. But at the same time I don't need to know about them and it just annoys me when they're professed by way of kids trick or treating on Halloween.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-11-2014, 01:43 PM
RE: Halloween annoyance
yeah that's kind messed up, I'm sure their parents put them up to it.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
01-11-2014, 01:52 PM
Jeez, I wish those parents would have just let them have a normal Halloween. I can't imagine what it must be like to grow up in those homes. No I would have been put off on the whole night too, moms.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
01-11-2014, 01:56 PM
Wonder what reactions you'd get if you said something like, "Oh, no thanks. Jesus has been dead for 2,000 years and God isn't real."

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 6 users Like KnowtheSilence's post
01-11-2014, 01:59 PM
(01-11-2014 01:43 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  yeah that's kind messed up, I'm sure their parents put them up to it.

I thought so too. Like this weird line is crossed -- and I still can't really express why it's bugging me so much.

Maybe it's because I know this is really from the parents...

Or maybe it's because the Christian thing is just sucking the life out of anything fun anymore. Maybe it's because they're becoming sooooo damn forward about it?

Or maybe it feels like the whole world is becoming more like Facebook?

I swear, I've been fantastic friends for years now with a group of ladies, we shop, do lunch, have parties. We never once discussed politics or religion.

Then Facebook came....all the requests to be friends....and suddenly I feel suffocated by right wing Jebus freaks.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-11-2014, 02:04 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2014 02:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
Think I'd've gone with a spontaneous chorus of "Yes Jesus Loves Me, Yes Jesus Loves Me" by the half-dozen atheists in the house just to see how they'd react.

Looks and sounds like my granddaughter. ... pretty sure they gonna think for themselves.

#sigh
01-11-2014, 02:06 PM
(01-11-2014 01:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Jeez, I wish those parents would have just let them have a normal Halloween. I can't imagine what it must be like to grow up in those homes. No I would have been put off on the whole night too, moms.

Actually I didn't think about it, but yeah it's totally indoctrination -- and encouraging their kids to spread the word whether it needs to be heard or not.

(01-11-2014 01:56 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  Wonder what reactions you'd get if you said something like, "Oh, no thanks. Jesus has been dead for 2,000 years and God isn't real."

See, I would never think to say that to anyone. Certainly not a child who's probably doing what mom and dad wants, just to please them.

It's just not my place to say that.

01-11-2014, 02:10 PM
(01-11-2014 02:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Think I'd've gone with a spontaneous chorus of "Yes Jesus Loves Me, Yes Jesus Loves Me" by the half-dozen atheists in the house just to see how they'd react.

Looks and sounds like my granddaughter. ... pretty sure they gonna think for themselves.

Next year you can hand out the candy. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-11-2014, 02:27 PM
(01-11-2014 01:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The first was a little boy who handed out a little pumpkin shaped peice of paper with a bible passage from Corinthians printed on it. Asking me if I knew the light of Jebus or whatever.

The second was a little girl who handed me a picture of Jebus that said he loved me.

After that second group left I shut off the porch light.

You should have snatched the candy back before shutting the door on them and switching off the porch light.

They would have remembered that!
[+] 6 users Like Mathilda's post
01-11-2014, 02:33 PM
(01-11-2014 02:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 01:56 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  Wonder what reactions you'd get if you said something like, "Oh, no thanks. Jesus has been dead for 2,000 years and God isn't real."

See, I would never think to say that to anyone. Certainly not a child who's probably doing what mom and dad wants, just to please them.

It's just not my place to say that.

It's perfectly fine if you wouldn't want to do that sort of thing, but don't understand why you think it's "not your place." It's not as though you would be going up to their house and saying these things to them; they came to you and started the conversation.

My opinion is that anyone, even if it's kids acting as mouthpieces for their parents, who tries to proselytize by simply stating assertions is fair game to hear assertions about what the other person believes. If they're offering arguments, they're fair game for refutations and counter-arguments.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 5 users Like KnowtheSilence's post