Halloween annoyance

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2014, 02:56 PM
RE: Halloween annoyance
(01-11-2014 02:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 01:52 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  Jeez, I wish those parents would have just let them have a normal Halloween. I can't imagine what it must be like to grow up in those homes. No I would have been put off on the whole night too, moms.

Actually I didn't think about it, but yeah it's totally indoctrination -- and encouraging their kids to spread the word whether it needs to be heard or not.

(01-11-2014 01:56 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  Wonder what reactions you'd get if you said something like, "Oh, no thanks. Jesus has been dead for 2,000 years and God isn't real."

See, I would never think to say that to anyone. Certainly not a child who's probably doing what mom and dad wants, just to please them.

It's just not my place to say that.

Well to be fair it was your house so it was in fact your place to say whatever you want. They knocked on your door. Just sayin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-11-2014, 03:24 PM
(01-11-2014 02:33 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 02:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  See, I would never think to say that to anyone. Certainly not a child who's probably doing what mom and dad wants, just to please them.

It's just not my place to say that.

It's perfectly fine if you wouldn't want to do that sort of thing, but don't understand why you think it's "not your place." It's not as though you would be going up to their house and saying these things to them; they came to you and started the conversation.

My opinion is that anyone, even if it's kids acting as mouthpieces for their parents, who tries to proselytize by simply stating assertions is fair game to hear assertions about what the other person believes. If they're offering arguments, they're fair game for refutations and counter-arguments.

I suppose, I look it as I wouldn't tell a room full of preschoolers there isn't any Santa. What goes on is between them and their parents. I suppose and none of my or anyone else's concern.

I get that they're coming to my door. But it's not as though the parents were standing beside them...the parents stood on the sidewalk.

The kids were young enough that there would be no discussion to be had.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

01-11-2014, 04:33 PM
(01-11-2014 01:38 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I finally bought a couple bags of Halloween candy.

Few kids came to our door, but two of them had special "gifts" for me.

The first was a little boy who handed out a little pumpkin shaped peice of paper with a bible passage from Corinthians printed on it. Asking me if I knew the light of Jebus or whatever.

The second was a little girl who handed me a picture of Jebus that said he loved me.

After that second group left I shut off the porch light.

I don't know why this annoyed me, but I found it deeply offensive.

I don't care at all about people's religious beliefs -- I always assume most have them. But at the same time I don't need to know about them and it just annoys me when they're professed by way of kids trick or treating on Halloween.

Not that there is a right time for the religious proselytizing, but this was definitely the wrong time. It's like walking into a wedding or a school concert or some other event and handing out religious crap. Completely inappropriate. Worse yet, it's them taking advantage of people because they know this time people will open their doors. For crying out loud, this is supposed to be a night for the kids and, instead, they are using their kids to be a pain in the ass. Dodgy

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
01-11-2014, 04:36 PM
(01-11-2014 03:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 02:33 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  It's perfectly fine if you wouldn't want to do that sort of thing, but don't understand why you think it's "not your place." It's not as though you would be going up to their house and saying these things to them; they came to you and started the conversation.

My opinion is that anyone, even if it's kids acting as mouthpieces for their parents, who tries to proselytize by simply stating assertions is fair game to hear assertions about what the other person believes. If they're offering arguments, they're fair game for refutations and counter-arguments.

I suppose, I look it as I wouldn't tell a room full of preschoolers there isn't any Santa. What goes on is between them and their parents. I suppose and none of my or anyone else's concern.

I get that they're coming to my door. But it's not as though the parents were standing beside them...the parents stood on the sidewalk.

I wouldn't say that to an entire room full, either. I also wouldn't say it to a single kid apropos of nothing. But if one of them wanted to know if I believed in Santa or told me why I should believe in Santa, I'd be straight with them.

I don't feel like the parents, whether they're with the kids or not, have any right to expect the people they send their kids to evangelize at should bite their tongues.

I'm just thinking out loud.
01-11-2014, 04:40 PM
(01-11-2014 04:36 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  I don't feel like the parents, whether they're with the kids or not, have any right to expect the people they send their kids to evangelize at should bite their tongues.

Yeah, that.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-11-2014, 04:40 PM
I think it's why so many use children for this purpose. Most people won't slam the door in the face of child or some similar reaction. That's what always bugged me about the JW's - they usually show up with a little kid. And that little kid thinks he is doing what he is supposed to do because that's what he's been taught. It's a disgusting ploy.

Sitting in a waiting room one afternoon at a surgery center waiting for husband I watched a car pull up and a little guy of about 9 or 10 walked in. He was wearing a suit and dropped of Watchtowers and other things around the room.

If an adult walked in and started dropping off flyers of any type, they would most likely be asked to leave due to the 'No Soliciting' sign on the door. They skirt things like that by using their children.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
01-11-2014, 04:41 PM
(01-11-2014 03:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 02:33 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  It's perfectly fine if you wouldn't want to do that sort of thing, but don't understand why you think it's "not your place." It's not as though you would be going up to their house and saying these things to them; they came to you and started the conversation.

I agree. Their kids are simply doing what their parents want them to be doing and don't know any better. Telling them that would hurt their feelings; THEN you'd probably have to confront the parents.

I find it upsetting those parents thought it was OK to proselytize on Halloween. I'm also starting to think with the increase amount of things going wrong with the world, the more people turn to evangelism. I've been seeing it more on my Facebook feed and elsewhere. It scares me.
[+] 1 user Likes Kaepora Gaebora's post
01-11-2014, 04:47 PM
(01-11-2014 04:41 PM)Kaepora Gaebora Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 03:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I suppose, I look it as I wouldn't tell a room full of preschoolers there isn't any Santa. What goes on is between them and their parents. I suppose and none of my or anyone else's concern.

I agree. Their kids are simply doing what their parents want them to be doing and don't know any better. Telling them that would hurt their feelings; THEN you'd probably have to confront the parents.

I find it upsetting those parents thought it was OK to proselytize on Halloween. I'm also starting to think with the increase amount of things going wrong with the world, the more people turn to evangelism. I've been seeing it more on my Facebook feed and elsewhere. It scares me.

I don't think it would hurt their feelings, as long as you weren't mean in the way that you said it. More likely than not they'd be confused and wouldn't know what to say after. Depends a lot on how old they are and whether or not they had ever spoken with a vocal non-believer before (or even know that they exist).

I'm just thinking out loud.
01-11-2014, 04:55 PM
I think you did well. I will never say anything hurtful to a child and they can say anything they want to say to me. I'm the adult in the relationship and I can listen politely without getting offended or angry. It is not my place, as you noted, to bring truth to these kids and frankly, you cannot do it in the few minutes you have. I would rather that the kids leave my door step feeling good about themselves.

On the other hand, once they approach adulthood, I can easily tell them that it is time that they abandoned the fantasies of children.
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
01-11-2014, 04:59 PM
(01-11-2014 04:36 PM)KnowtheSilence Wrote:  
(01-11-2014 03:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I suppose, I look it as I wouldn't tell a room full of preschoolers there isn't any Santa. What goes on is between them and their parents. I suppose and none of my or anyone else's concern.

I wouldn't say that to an entire room full, either. I also wouldn't say it to a single kid apropos of nothing. But if one of them wanted to know if I believed in Santa or told me why I should believe in Santa, I'd be straight with them.

I don't feel like the parents, whether they're with the kids or not, have any right to expect the people they send their kids to evangelize at should bite their tongues.

Next year you're handing out the candy with Girlyman.

He can sing to them, you can engage them.

I'll sit on the steps and just enjoy a cocktail,bowl of popcorn and probably choke to death from laughter.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces