Hallucinations

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2012, 11:10 AM
Hallucinations
I was just listening to an old post on ghosts, etc. and I was wondering how many people have ever taken a hallucinogenic drug. Most church doctrines are very much against them, and our laws reflect this biased attitude. I think that the radical change in American society during the 1960s, in part driven by LSD, was because many people realized they were already living in a mass hallucination, and rather nightmarish one at that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2012, 11:16 AM
RE: Hallucinations
I'm immune to medicated hallucinations. Also as a side note, mushrooms make me have to poo.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-10-2012, 11:19 AM
People also started to construct elaborate conspiracy theories to fit the mass hallucination delusion. People are stupid. Give them drugs to enhance their paranoia and...voila...elaborate stupid emerges. Enter New Age medicine, anti-vaccine, homeopathy, faith-healing, etc.

What was this thread about?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
15-10-2012, 11:19 AM
I'm not following your conclusion from your premise. Are you saying that Christians turned to LSD because they figured out that their Christianity was a nightmarish illusion?

If so, then I think you'll need a little more evidence to get that one to stick; I remain unconvinced that more than a tiny fraction of drug users are disillusioned Christians looking for a chemical escape from their disillusionment.

I'm not even sure I'm buying that the "radical change in American society during the 1960's" was driven by drugs at all. Just because the sun comes up after a rooster crows doesn't mean the rooster made the sun come up. Just because drugs were more prevalent during and after the '60s doesn't mean the prevalence of drugs caused any radical change in American society - heck, maybe the changing society opened the door to drug trafficking and caused the upsurge in drug prevalence.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
15-10-2012, 11:32 AM
If you take LSD without ever knowing anything about Gods, the LSD trip would be very different. It probably would resemble more Electric Sheep computer dreams.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
15-10-2012, 11:37 AM
(15-10-2012 11:32 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  If you take LSD without ever knowing anything about Gods, the LSD trip would be very different. It probably would resemble more Electric Sheep computer dreams.
I think it might appear the same, but would be interpreted differently.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
17-10-2012, 09:07 AM
I was commenting on episodes about ghosts, and how some callers had experienced visions that they felt were real. If you have ever taken a strong hallucinogenic drug you realize how easy it is to have experiences that feel real to you but are simply not.

I would definitely make the argument that the social changes during the 1960s in both the US and Britain were driven in part by the consumption of hallucinogenic drugs, most specifically LSD. The prevailing forces quickly made these drugs illegal. Why? Because people were asking the question, "What IS real?" after taking these drugs and finding out that, for the most part, society itself is nothing more than a mass hallucination.
17-10-2012, 09:21 AM
So that's why self-centered people get ahead... "SHUT THEM UP!"

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
17-10-2012, 09:50 AM
(17-10-2012 09:07 AM)Funtheist Wrote:  I was commenting on episodes about ghosts, and how some callers had experienced visions that they felt were real.

People think lots of things are real, even without drugs. People think Elvis is still alive. People think the earth is flat. People think George W Bush secretly masterminded the attacks on 9/11. People think Ben Affleck is a good actor.

(17-10-2012 09:07 AM)Funtheist Wrote:  If you have ever taken a strong hallucinogenic drug you realize how easy it is to have experiences that feel real to you but are simply not.

I have not, but I understand the concept that hallucinogenic drugs make you hallucinate. I think that's how that category of drugs got its name. I also get the concept that while a person is hallucinating, they think their hallucinations are real. But for most sane people, when the drugs (or other causes) wear off and the hallucinations end, some semblance of sanity returns which usually includes a post-hoc realization that those hallucinations were, in fact, unreal.

(17-10-2012 09:07 AM)Funtheist Wrote:  I would definitely make the argument that the social changes during the 1960s in both the US and Britain were driven in part by the consumption of hallucinogenic drugs, most specifically LSD. The prevailing forces quickly made these drugs illegal. Why? Because people were asking the question, "What IS real?" after taking these drugs and finding out that, for the most part, society itself is nothing more than a mass hallucination.

Can you back any of this up? You've made your argument, now support it with some facts.

I make the counter argument that you could be wrong. Maybe the social changes were driven by other factors, like widespread instant media (TV was fairly new). Maybe the unrelated social changes resulted in a population more open to experimentation with drugs. Maybe it's just a big social crapshoot with hundreds of causes and hundred of results with prevalence of drug use being just one result of the social changes rather than a cause.

I certainly don't know. I'm making no argument for any of this. You are. So back it up.

I'm especially interested in how you plan to support that taking hallucinogenic drugs leads a person to find out that "society itself is nothing more than a mass hallucination." You didn't assert that drug users were under a misconception of this idea. Your assertion is that society is a mass hallucination and that drug users are the ones who figured it out. Very interesting. I'm dying to hear your evidence.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
17-10-2012, 02:26 PM
(15-10-2012 11:10 AM)Funtheist Wrote:  I think that the radical change in American society during the 1960s, in part driven by LSD, was because many people realized they were already living in a mass hallucination, and rather nightmarish one at that.

You will have a hard time supporting that statement with facts.

Most humans can agree on at least the basics of what is real. Those who can't, we consider ill (or perhaps genius). You and I probably have similar experiences when we eat food, look at colors, smell fall leaves, etc. We discuss these experiences with other people and validate that they are indeed experiencing the same things we are. You can call this an argumentum ad populum, but I think I'll believe that the society I'm experiencing is the real one. A hallucination is "a perception in the absence of stimulus." It's not real.

When you do mushrooms or other similar drugs, your senses, the ones you've counted on for your entire life to give you accurate information, suddenly present you with incorrect information. What's important here is that it's a personal experience... you can't share or validate it with the uncomfortable sober guy sitting next to you on the bus.

If someone's tripping balls and says "look at the size of that spider on your face," you don't worry, because they're not experiencing reality. If a sober person says it to you, you instantly start clawing at your face in terror. That's reality.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?